How do you measure happiness? Our overall sense of wellbeing is impacted by many things such as health, financial stability, relationships, and more. It’s easy to focus on the difficult aspects of life but how is that good for anyone? That old saying “negativity breeds negativity” is true, but the reverse is also true – happiness breeds happiness.
By applying some simple rules to your life, you can improve not only your mood but the happiness of others as well. Why not start now?
Here are ten easy things you can do to feel happier.
1. Smile. Yep, smile. How does it make you feel? Happier, right? Try it when you wake up, when you’re getting ready for work or school, when you’re walking down the street, and when you’re talking on the phone. Share smiles freely and often. Even if it doesn’t feel totally genuine at first, once you get on a smiling roll, it will improve your mood for real.
2. Pay someone a compliment. This is an instant way to brighten the day; yours and the person you’re complimenting. Do you like the color of their sweater? Think they’ve done a great job on a report they’ve written? Tell them. You’ll be happy you did.
3. Reach out to your loved ones. Anything from a quick text to mailing a card or letter. You’ll feel good about letting the other person know you’re thinking about them and they’ll be excited to receive your message!
4. Practice kindness. People, animals, and the environment all benefit from kindness. If you’re nice to them, chances are they will be more than willing to reciprocate.
5. Give thanks. Take one minute to appreciate the good things in your life. There is always something to be grateful for, even if it’s just appreciating the gift of life. Make it a habit each day.
6. Volunteer. Helping others is a sure way to change your focus and improve your mood. Getting lost in someone else’s world will help you appreciate your own. If there is a cause you feel passionate about, there is probably an organization that would benefit from your time and expertise. One such opportunity is to become a listener for 7 Cups, where you can help from thecomfort of home.
7. Learn something new. Whether it’s starting to learn a foreign language or how to make a soufflé, challenging yourself to try new things will give you a sense of accomplishment. It’ll also give you a new skill that you can share with others.
8. Unplug. We are all too connected to our electronics. It’s so easy to get sucked into that game of Candy Crush or the latest posts on Instagram. Set it aside for a few hours, and you’ll be amazed at how great you’ll feel.
9. Find a better work/life balance. In this world of instant access, finding a balance between your personal life and your work life can be hard. Start with small changes, and you’ll quickly realize that one doesn’t have to overshadow the other. It can be as simple as not responding to work email on a Sunday night and, instead, watching that movie with your family.
10. Get up and moving! No matter your level of physical fitness, any form of exercise is sure to make you feel better. Even breathing exercises will help. Endorphins are a proven mood enhancer.
Ready for a happiness boost? Join our empathetic community or start volunteering as a listener to help others today!