Designer Karl Lagerfeld said, “Youthfulness is about how you live, not when you were born.”
For those over 50, it’s common to reflect on your life – where you have been, what you have accomplished, those you have cared about and to worry about the years ahead. With fewer family responsibilities there exists the opportunity to reinvent yourself and live the life you’ve always wanted.
Imagine the possibilities - what feeds your soul and gives meaning to your life?
Fulfilling Life After 50: The Plan
The best first step on the path to fulfillment after 50 should be to create a fulfillment plan - a personal business plan of sorts. Include things such as who you want to be and what you hope to accomplish. It doesn’t matter if the plan reflects who you are today. This is your plan for the future, and anything is possible.
Of course, you should include diet and exercise in your plan so that you’re taking care of your health, but what else? The easiest way to lead a happy life is to be engaged in life.
So dive in. Here are some ideas to help you on your way.
- Start a gratitude journal. By documenting something you appreciate each day, your life after 50 will automatically become more rewarding, simply because your outlook will become more positive.
- Discover your passion purpose. Is it animals, children, the environment, or another cause? Then, get involved. Volunteer (become a 7 Cups volunteer for example), advocate, and vote in support of your cause.
- Launch your own business or begin a new career. You likely have fewer demands on your time and financial resources, so this could be the time to take the career risk you were never able to before.
- Join a book, mahjong, or chess club. Not only will you develop new friendships, but you’ll also stimulate your brain!
- Challenge yourself to try something new. Whether it is a new sport, hobby, or language, age should not be a barrier. Sports like yoga are a fantastic fit for an older body as you will strengthen your core and build flexibility. If you’ve always dreamed of skydiving, now is the time to go for it.
- Forgive others and accept them for who they are. The peace of mind and sense of wellbeing you’ll get from it will enable you to focus on things that bring you joy.
- Relationships matter. Focus on the ones that are important and make sure that your loved ones know how you feel about them.
- Act like a kid and live in the moment. Sing, dance, swing on a tire swing. With age comes the strength to do what we like. Appreciate every bit of it.
- Take out the “garbage” – let go of all that makes you feel less than your best.
- Make sure that you do one meaningful thing each day. It can be anything from helping your neighbor take the groceries in the house to mentoring a new associate at work.
- Visit an awe-inspiring place. It will force a reset in your thinking because the big things in your life will suddenly feel small comparatively.
Whatever you choose to do, remember that leading an active lifestyle will keep not only your body and mind young, it will help you enjoy each day just a little more.