Does ADHD affect your intelligence?

Lara Gregorio, LCSW

Therapist

I believe that depression can feel all-consuming. I have a real passion for helping my clients to reclaim their voices and lives from depressive thoughts.

GinaBrianna101
I was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 2 years old after getting the chicken pox vaccination, all my life I was scared of people making fun of me because of being considered ESE which is another way of saying special needs. To correctly answer the question; no it does not effect ones intelligence but only makes it a bit harder to put full focus on the task at hand. If you are ADHD and would like some more information please contact me as I have had it many years.
Anonymous
It doesnt affect the intelligence itself. What it does effect though is your ability to use your intelligence. If you cant concentrate on a task you might not be able to complete it, even though intelligence-wise you would be able to.
Anonymous
No it does not, it affects concentration, focus and many other areas but intelligence is most certainly not one of them. This comes from a person who suffers with this.
SweetNori
I don't believe there is a relationship. However, many people with ADHD find it hard to focus in school, which can make it appear that they are not as 'smart' as others.
It does not but it might impair you effectiveness of performing different tasks that rely on concentration and systematic execution of learning tasks.
mindfulguider
I believe everyone is on an invisible spectrum. However, those lower on the spectrum can be affected by ADHD the same as those on the higher level of the spectrum. It’s just a different way of perceiving information. Medication can has some benefits to help the symptoms. It can also relieve the negative effects in a classroom setting. Although, a doctor should always either diagnose and prescribe in these situations. The mind is a tricky thing and sometimes we just need to find the right balance in order to function the way we desire. Yet, in my opinion, intelligence and ADHD are two separate categories that do have a hand in hand relationship.
Fruitbowl95
ADHD, (or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder), does not in any way affect how intelligent you are. It does, however, affect your ability to do several tasks, such as: a) being able to concentrate on increasing the amount of knowledge that you have; b) being able to use the knowledge that you do have to complete tasks even though it would be deemed intelligent to complete said task; c) being able to effectively complete a task or tasks without getting distracted by something unrelated to what you need to do at that particular moment.
Anonymous
It depends on how you define intelligence. But usually, no it does not, although ADHD affects the way you pay attention you are still you. I am an aspiring physicist with ADHD, I've got some bad grades in the past due to lack of focus in class and in the exam but overall physics is still a fun and easy topic for me because I enjoy it. If I wasn't intelligent I'm not sure what kind of person I would be. Everyone is intelligent in their own way. It is normal and completely okay the think like this often I know I do
BooksAndBeard
ADHD does not affect your intelligence. Some of the smartest people in the world have ADHD, or other neurological impairments. Without intervention, ie strategies or medication, ADHD can sometimes hold people back from achieving what they might otherwise be able to. ADHD people often have difficulty with shifting gears, or "follow-through", and it means they need to work much harder than someone else does, but this is unrelated to intelligence. If you or someone you care about has ADHD, there are interventions (ie strategies) or medications that can help reduce the symptoms of ADHD and make it easier to achieve your goals.
CompassionCake
December 22nd, 2020 12:49pm
ADHD doesn't affect your intelligence, but it can affect the way you can use your intelligence. You can have a high IQ and still struggle with executive function, task planning, short-term memory, motivation, and focus. It's very common for people with ADHD to have low self-esteem because they feel they aren't "smart" but that just isn't true. The troubles people with ADHD face are a reflection of the way our brains work differently, not our intelligence. Many people who find that they feel "stupid" at school or at work are actually struggling to put their intelligence to use in an environment that's not optimal for a dopamine-deficient ADHD brain. With accommodations and treatment (behavioral or medication), people with ADHD can function on the same level as everyone else.