Does ADHD affect your intelligence?

Sara Radford, MA Clinical Counseling

Within the context of a supportive, collaborative relationship I help clients to explore themselves in a effort to create healing and lasting positive change.

GinaBrianna101
I was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 2 years old after getting the chicken pox vaccination, all my life I was scared of people making fun of me because of being considered ESE which is another way of saying special needs. To correctly answer the question; no it does not effect ones intelligence but only makes it a bit harder to put full focus on the task at hand. If you are ADHD and would like some more information please contact me as I have had it many years.
Gretel
It doesnt affect the intelligence itself. What it does effect though is your ability to use your intelligence. If you cant concentrate on a task you might not be able to complete it, even though intelligence-wise you would be able to.
Anonymous
No it does not, it affects concentration, focus and many other areas but intelligence is most certainly not one of them. This comes from a person who suffers with this.
SweetNori
I don't believe there is a relationship. However, many people with ADHD find it hard to focus in school, which can make it appear that they are not as 'smart' as others.
It does not but it might impair you effectiveness of performing different tasks that rely on concentration and systematic execution of learning tasks.
Fruitbowl95
ADHD, (or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder), does not in any way affect how intelligent you are. It does, however, affect your ability to do several tasks, such as: a) being able to concentrate on increasing the amount of knowledge that you have; b) being able to use the knowledge that you do have to complete tasks even though it would be deemed intelligent to complete said task; c) being able to effectively complete a task or tasks without getting distracted by something unrelated to what you need to do at that particular moment.
mindfulguider
I believe everyone is on an invisible spectrum. However, those lower on the spectrum can be affected by ADHD the same as those on the higher level of the spectrum. It’s just a different way of perceiving information. Medication can has some benefits to help the symptoms. It can also relieve the negative effects in a classroom setting. Although, a doctor should always either diagnose and prescribe in these situations. The mind is a tricky thing and sometimes we just need to find the right balance in order to function the way we desire. Yet, in my opinion, intelligence and ADHD are two separate categories that do have a hand in hand relationship.
Anonymous
It depends on how you define intelligence. But usually, no it does not, although ADHD affects the way you pay attention you are still you. I am an aspiring physicist with ADHD, I've got some bad grades in the past due to lack of focus in class and in the exam but overall physics is still a fun and easy topic for me because I enjoy it. If I wasn't intelligent I'm not sure what kind of person I would be. Everyone is intelligent in their own way. It is normal and completely okay the think like this often I know I do