Does ADHD make a person violent?

Cassandra Coleman-Heppler, LCSW, LICSW

I believe that problems are separate from the person having them and that our own stories and how we look at our own stories directly influences how we perceive those problems

calmZebra60
Hyperactivity is the main criteria of ADHD. Violence is not a primary result of the mental health condition, but it can be made worse by it.
GertJ1990
From my own perspective, being diagnosed with ADHD since my 15 th: No, not necessarily. One big charasteristic that people notice from a person with ADHD is the agile,stressy behaviour. I think that some persons might perceive that as agressiveness, while being preoccupied doesn't automatically correlate with being agressive. That said I must say that ADHD include behavioral issues wich can differ from person to person. Some can indeed get violent more easely than others. From my own experience I want to add a big exclamation mark and notice! When taking medication such as Riltaline or Concerta while mixing it with alcohol, agressive behaviour is very likely. I myself experienced that a few times and I got in trouble. I quit drinking for a few years now and also stopped taking the medication. Anyway, just don't drink alcohol when taking ADHD medication!
Anonymous
No, ADHD does not make a person violent in and of itself. Sometimes an individual with ADHD may act out because of the disorder but it is rarely violent. I worked at a middle school that served a population of ADHD and learning disabled children, and there were never violent outbursts. That said... a person with ADHD could have violent outbursts because of other underlying problems. It's difficult to separate out every cause and effect when all humans are so different.
Not usually. It makes a person restless at time. Hard to concentrate on one thing at a time. But has nothing to do with violence.
sillyseraph002
adhd does not, in and of itself, cause a person to be more violent. it may seem to coincide quite a lot of the time but that it's not causation. adhd does cause restlessness and an increased difficulty with concentrating. with that, people will often feel depressed, especially in their younger years, because it can be more difficult to "fit in" at school for instance. A violent attitude in someone with ADHD could be a means of acting out, due to depression, or it could also be that due to the restlessness, they crave the release of adrenaline, as somewhat of a diversion from boredom. if you or a loved one is concerned about this, find a healthy outlet for excess energy, and seek professional counsel. talk to a doctor, or also talk to a therapist. ADHD is usually manageable with the right interventions
dazedonlife
You know that's a good question, From a personal point off view, No, With my ADHD at times I can annoy people, But never mad me angry, But it made others annoyed, Like in school I could not concentrate at all, I could never sit still