How do I explain my diagnosis to my child, friends, and family?

Richard Jones, BA, MA, PGDip

You may feel stuck and trapped. Even though answers are often inside us they can often feel hidden and tangled, We will work together to open a path to your answers.

helpfulHeart53
Your diagnosis is your personal and private information. Even though you may have close relationships with those people, you do not owe them your diagnosis. If you feel that sharing this information is something you are comfortable with then I would do so in a quiet and relaxed manner. Only a handful of people are aware of my diagnosis (10+ years) and I am personally most comfortable that way. Again, it is private information that is completely up to you on if you want to share it or not. Do what makes you comfortable and follow your heart! If you do that, you will most likely come out of it with a strong support system so you don't have to go at it alone.
Anonymous
I tell my family and friends along time ago I was hurt by my mother and it effects me in different ways it may seem scary but things are going to get better it is just going to take time and patience from u and me and with the support of great family and friends it will get better but it's just take time
sunshinelemondrops
First begin with de- stigmatization let your children be aware of mental illness and tell them about it education is the key to understanding. Doing this will assist in lessening the fears we develop over time from societal input. Guide and help them gain a good understanding of what mental illness may look like and clarify it. Then educate them about your diagnosis, with compassion and empathy as it may be just as scary or shocking to them as it may have been for you. Together with love and understanding you can educate them about your diagnosis.