I can’t seem to ever concentrate. My friend says Adderall helps him concentrate. How do I find out if it’s a good option for me?

Portugal

Jennifer Patterson, LMFT, ATR-BC

Art Therapist

Life can be messy. Sometimes you need a little support to make your way through it. I love to help guide people through their challenges & to find the beauty in our messes.

NumberEleven
You shouldn't tell your psychiatrist what medicine to give you, they know best. Just describe how you feel, your moods, your sleep cycles etc and they will give you what suits your situation the best.
beautiful5oul
Consulting a doctor, or your provider, is a good place to start. What may work for one person medication wise, might not be the same for you personally, so going off of their judgement alone might be a set back. Medications can take time to balance to understand what is right or is not, for you.
cynderislame
Talking to a doctor can definitely help to narrow down what's best for you.
versatilePeace44
your doctor or even school guidance counselor they have you take a test to determine if that'll help
InspireTheLiars
You talk to your doctor and he/she will give you a better answer than I can. Your friend shouldn't be the one you go to for serious matters such as prescription medications.
Anonymous
Talk to your doctor or a psychiatrist (or both). They will tell you if they think you need it and how much you may need. It might be that you need a different ADD/ADHD medication, or another method of helping you concentrate.
Bonnie1
First of all, have you been diagnosed with ADD by a medical professional? If not, you might want to consider contacting your doctor. If you have ADD, your doctor will help you find the best solution for you.
uniqueWaterfall28
You shouldn't use Adderall unless prescribed by a doctor. If you are concerned about your ability to concentrate, please contact a doctor or therapist.
Here2Hear247
Talk to a psychiatric professional. Attention disorders can cause a huge host of other problems which you may find shocking. Everything from mood swings to weight gain to to depression and mania can come from these kinds of disorders. You owe it to yourself to assess your mental health with the help of a professional.
GottafallBeforeyouFLY
I would talk to your parents about your troubles with focus, and suggest getting tested. The school should bring in a person that'll test you and see how you focus and understand things. Then when you get the results back, depending on what they are, go to your doctor and explain things. See if you need Aderall or not.
Anonymous
January 2nd, 2017 3:18am
Well, the best way is to talk to your prescriber! Medication is a tricky thing, it's not for everyone, and for many it's not a best first-line option. So your prescriber may have you try other things to help you concentrate first. There are many guides that can help you learn to focus more, but it takes a LOT of hard work. AND, even if your prescriber is willing to write you an Rx, it might not be Adderall first, and that's okay! It's not always a first option drug..
NoNameTwo
I suggest seeing a medical professional and raising these concerns of yours with them, they will be able to advise you on the next steps to take and whether you would benefit from any medications.
Anonymous
You should never take medication on your own. The best way to determine any type of help is talking to your doctor. Having problems with concentration is not always due to ADHD where Adderall or Ritalin can help. Sometimes anxiety can cause concentration problems. Always talk to a doctor before doing anything whether its starting medication or getting off of them.
enchantingDew84
There are many exercises and foods that you can eat in order to improve focus, you can an abundance of information about this online. However, if these natural solutions do not help, I would suggest seeing a psychiatrist and they will be able to accurately assess your needs. Good luck!
Anonymous
I would honestly go to a psychiatrist and ask. Make sure they do a "exam" to see what suits you! Because adderall isn't for everyone
1musicloverever
I would see a doctor about Adderall and see if it could work for you. Everyone is different and you might be able to find something less cost effective and not 'drug / prescription related' to help you concentrate. But defiantly talk to someone about it, don't try it without a doctor or legal guardian's say.
Anonymous
medication can always be an option that helps a lot with concentration but seeing a specialist can give you the advise or options that you may need. personally I have been off medication for a few years now but am starting up again in my next year at university, I feel I will get the most out of it while still in education but there are different severity's and they can depend on your environment.
Tekalon
I recommend talking to your doctor. Adderall is a prescription drug and should be recommended by a doctor first.
JJspacedoubt
Adderall is a prescribed stimulant medication. Consulting a professional is a great way to find out if Adderall, Vyvanse, or a different stimulant medication would be helpful.
Anonymous
Consult your prescribing physician. Some PCP's will write you a prescription for it, but some may refer you to a psychiatrist. Out of all the stimulants used to treat ADHD, Adderall is one of the more effective one for many people.
Schultzy
Medications that are stimulants such as Adderall and Vyvanse are things that work for some people, But not everyone. If you feel that these types of medications are something you'd want to try and might be worth it to you, Consult with your family doctor or physician about these. They are professionals and will know what's best for you and will help you find a medication that works best for you.
Grackl3
Talk to your doctor. Youd need a diagnosis of sorts before you were allowed to have a medication like that. Many things can cause an impairment in concentration, not just ADD/ADHD. Your doctor can help you figure out whats causing you problems and set you up with a good medication, if thats what you want.
blissfulHoney95
Speak to your doctor or therapist. They are the experts and only a doctor can write a prescription.
Anonymous
I have taken adderall before and I have adhd. I think you should seek medical help before taking a medicine that your friend tells you to take. It's because adderall might work for your friend but not you. In my experience with it...it worked for school...but it made me less social and gave me terrible mood swings after it timed out. You look at other medication too.
Anonymous
try binaural beats for ADHD .. works for me.. use stereo headphones only.. and try to do quiet jobs like study or sleeping while listening to it.... u can play an instrumental music in back but without vocals..... and dont overdo it
Anonymous
Make sure to first go to the doctor to get a correct prescription. It is very dangerous to take medication without professional opinion.
Pumpkin74
First, please stop taking your friends Adderall! That is a dangerous drug and should not be taken without a doctors orders. Having said that, the best way to decide if it is for you is to talk to a doctor and let them know what has been going on. We tend to hide the truth to stay out of trouble, but honesty is best in this situation and remember, you aren't the first person who has done this. Doctors see this all the time!
the3ofus
Talk to your doctor or a psychiatrist about taking Adderall. You're the expert on you, but your doctor is the expert on medication. Don't take his medication, even if he offers.
Callipiphan
Talk to your doctor. We cant help you on that side of things. Being open and honest with the medical professional.
Anonymous
I would ask your doctor if it is the right one for you. Sometimes a medicine may seem good for you, but it’s hard to tell for sure so it’s better to check with a professional.