I can’t seem to ever concentrate. My friend says Adderall helps him concentrate. How do I find out if it’s a good option for me?

Portugal

Jennifer Patterson, LMFT, ATR-BC

Art Therapist

Life can be messy. Sometimes you need a little support to make your way through it. I love to help guide people through their challenges & to find the beauty in our messes.

Kayaondra02
Go to a doctor. They can refer you to a special place that tests weather or not you have adhd. ( attention deficient hyperactivity disorder)
Anonymous
You need to go to your primary care doctor. Adderall can have some nasty side effects and you may simply be ADD and NOT ADHD. Adderall is only used for ADHD. The best diagnosis can and will only come from seeing a doctor. Are you stressed out? Doing too much at one time? When our brain needs a break it will force itself to take a break. If you are too stressed our bodies will find a way to help de-stress. Sometimes the answer we are looking for is the simplest one. Also if your friend is taking Adderall proscribed, please help this person.
AndyVmuna
November 1st, 2018 7:04am
Finding out if drugs are a fit for you is a great question for a licensed doctor. Only a doctor can qualify you for major medicine like Adderall. Although there are great results remember there are always side effects as well. Start simple! If you're having concentration problems really study why you are. Are you day dreaming about the project you never finished? Are you imagining yourself somewhere you've never been before? Is there a small movie playing in your head? Ask yourself what is taking you away from reality and them logically look into solving it. For me I think of modifying my car or being a fire fighter. My way to aid my lack of concentration is to satisfy my creative side before I get anything serious done. I HAVE to dedicate at least a couple hours a night doing what I was thinking about. It's kinda like when a song is stuck in your head. You just gotta find the time and sing it.
TheKindlyOne
The absolute best way is to talk to a qualified medical professional i.e. a psychiatrist or clinical psychologist. The best way to see one of those is get referred through your family doctor or general practitioner. Unfortunately not all doctors are equally knowledgeable when it comes to ADHD related issues such as difficulty with focusing and have prejudices with prescribing drugs. Make sure to advocate for yourself and if your doctor is not willing to explain why he/she thinks Adderall is or is not right for you, don't hesitate to get a second opinion! But if your doctor has taken the time to properly understand your symptoms, and explain their medical opinion then that is the opinion you should go with and you should never take drugs that are not prescribed for you
GoddessofAres
Speaking to a doctor or psychiatrist is the first step in finding out if, first, you have ADHD, and second, the best way to treat it. Without a doctors expertise, you can’t be sure if you have ADHD or there’s something else going on. If you don’t have ADHD and you choose to self medicate to treat being distracted, you may cause harm to yourself and in some cases develop addiction problems. If you do have ADHD and decide to self medicate, you are at an increased risk for developing an addiction. Medications work differently for people who have ADHD and people who don’t. The best thing to do is to see a doctor and talk to them about your concerns. They won’t judge you and will work with you to help you.
nearestbird9
Speak with your general practitioner at your regular doctor's office first. Be honest about your symptoms and how they are impacting you, and a medical professional will be able to determine if it is the right treatment for you. They may also refer you to someone who is qualified to treat you, or potentially prescribe the medication. Adderall is a controlled substance, and is actually a Schedule II controlled substance in the U.S. This means that it has a high potential for abuse, so please do not take other people's psychiatric medicine under any circumstance. I hope you are able to find a solution to your concentration issues soon! :)
OceanFox
Talk to your doctor. Your doctor knows your medical history and would be best able to talk through medication options with you. Another thing to try is to see a therapist. Many therapists are trained to handle people with attention deficit problems. They can get a better picture of who you are and what you’re dealing with and then decide if medicine is even necessary for you. They might even be able to give you the right advice to get your issues under control without the meds! No matter which path you choose, the important thing is to talk to a professional to get an expert opinion.
katieee1234
May 3rd, 2019 4:39am
Adderall is a prescription stimulant that’s a combination of two substances: amphetamine and dextroamphetamine. It’s available in an immediate and extended-release formulation, and its primary function is to help people who have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder or ADHD. It’s also sometimes prescribed to people with narcolepsy. When a person with ADHD takes Adderall, it has somewhat of a calming effect on them, and this is largely because of how it affects the central nervous system and neurotransmitters in the brain. It can help someone with ADHD concentrate and focus more effectively, and it can also help them manage their behaviors. While Adderall is available by prescription, it’s also very commonly abused in the U.S. When someone doesn’t have ADHD, and they take it, the result is different. A person without ADHD who takes Adderall will find that they feel a type of high with it, although the effects can depend on how much is taken. Signs of being high on Adderall can include euphoria, a sense of excitement or energy, self-confidence, and optimism. This all might sound great, but there are many risks of abusing Adderall. There are short-term effects of Adderall use that aren’t desirable and can include nausea, headache, anxiety, and rising heart rate and blood pressure. There’s also the risk of addiction, and when people come down from the Adderall high, they tend to feel sluggish, depressed or unwell. The best answer to your question to know if its a good option for you would simply be to talk to your doctor.