I can’t seem to ever concentrate. My friend says Adderall helps him concentrate. How do I find out if it’s a good option for me?

Portugal

Jennifer Patterson, LMFT, ATR-BC

Art Therapist

Life can be messy. Sometimes you need a little support to make your way through it. I love to help guide people through their challenges & to find the beauty in our messes.

Anonymous
I would ask your doctor if it is the right one for you. Sometimes a medicine may seem good for you, but it’s hard to tell for sure so it’s better to check with a professional.
Kayaondra02
Go to a doctor. They can refer you to a special place that tests weather or not you have adhd. ( attention deficient hyperactivity disorder)
Anonymous
You need to go to your primary care doctor. Adderall can have some nasty side effects and you may simply be ADD and NOT ADHD. Adderall is only used for ADHD. The best diagnosis can and will only come from seeing a doctor. Are you stressed out? Doing too much at one time? When our brain needs a break it will force itself to take a break. If you are too stressed our bodies will find a way to help de-stress. Sometimes the answer we are looking for is the simplest one. Also if your friend is taking Adderall proscribed, please help this person.
AndyVmuna
November 1st, 2018 7:04am
Finding out if drugs are a fit for you is a great question for a licensed doctor. Only a doctor can qualify you for major medicine like Adderall. Although there are great results remember there are always side effects as well. Start simple! If you're having concentration problems really study why you are. Are you day dreaming about the project you never finished? Are you imagining yourself somewhere you've never been before? Is there a small movie playing in your head? Ask yourself what is taking you away from reality and them logically look into solving it. For me I think of modifying my car or being a fire fighter. My way to aid my lack of concentration is to satisfy my creative side before I get anything serious done. I HAVE to dedicate at least a couple hours a night doing what I was thinking about. It's kinda like when a song is stuck in your head. You just gotta find the time and sing it.
TheKindlyOne
The absolute best way is to talk to a qualified medical professional i.e. a psychiatrist or clinical psychologist. The best way to see one of those is get referred through your family doctor or general practitioner. Unfortunately not all doctors are equally knowledgeable when it comes to ADHD related issues such as difficulty with focusing and have prejudices with prescribing drugs. Make sure to advocate for yourself and if your doctor is not willing to explain why he/she thinks Adderall is or is not right for you, don't hesitate to get a second opinion! But if your doctor has taken the time to properly understand your symptoms, and explain their medical opinion then that is the opinion you should go with and you should never take drugs that are not prescribed for you
GoddessofAres
Speaking to a doctor or psychiatrist is the first step in finding out if, first, you have ADHD, and second, the best way to treat it. Without a doctors expertise, you can’t be sure if you have ADHD or there’s something else going on. If you don’t have ADHD and you choose to self medicate to treat being distracted, you may cause harm to yourself and in some cases develop addiction problems. If you do have ADHD and decide to self medicate, you are at an increased risk for developing an addiction. Medications work differently for people who have ADHD and people who don’t. The best thing to do is to see a doctor and talk to them about your concerns. They won’t judge you and will work with you to help you.
nearestbird9
Speak with your general practitioner at your regular doctor's office first. Be honest about your symptoms and how they are impacting you, and a medical professional will be able to determine if it is the right treatment for you. They may also refer you to someone who is qualified to treat you, or potentially prescribe the medication. Adderall is a controlled substance, and is actually a Schedule II controlled substance in the U.S. This means that it has a high potential for abuse, so please do not take other people's psychiatric medicine under any circumstance. I hope you are able to find a solution to your concentration issues soon! :)
OceanFox
Talk to your doctor. Your doctor knows your medical history and would be best able to talk through medication options with you. Another thing to try is to see a therapist. Many therapists are trained to handle people with attention deficit problems. They can get a better picture of who you are and what you’re dealing with and then decide if medicine is even necessary for you. They might even be able to give you the right advice to get your issues under control without the meds! No matter which path you choose, the important thing is to talk to a professional to get an expert opinion.
selfcarewonderz
You need to speak to your doctor before starting any new medications. First, you take a small assessment to see what kind of personality fits you to see if the medication would be too powerful or too weak to help you. Then, you go through trial and error. You have to go through many different medications to find out which one is the best for you. When you find the one, you can contact your doctor to get a refill of Adderall or whatever medication works so you can take it daily to help your concentration get better.
ArabellaHazeldine
Ok Adderall is an ADHD medication. I would strongly advise you not to take anything you are not prescribed as you don’t know the side affects it may have on you as it is not your medication. Maybe try and think of an alternative method of concentrating that works for you. Everybody is different. Everybody learns in different ways. Perhaps you are better at concentrating and learning when you try something in a different way, such as a hands on approach, rather than just reading a text book. Maybe ask a tutor if there is another way you can approach the subject.
hkhan7
Definitely speak with a healthcare professional, such as a family doctor. They will be able to find out if you have ADHD and if Adderall is the best option for you. There are many different types of medications which help treat ADHD, including Vyvanse, Adderall and Ritalin. Your doctor will select the one which they feel is best for you. Also, there are many non-medicinal ways to cope with this condition, such as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), exercise and meditation. Definitely look into some of these options while you wait for a diagnosis. I wish you the best of luck in the future!
Angie2257
From what I’ve heard, Adderall is highly addictive and has terrible withdrawal symptoms. My bf has adhd and the doctor had avoided giving him that specific medication for that reason. I would discuss with your primary care physician or get a referral to see a psychiatrist to see if there are options for you. If you think it might be ADHD, then there are many medication options. If it’s simply an issue of concentration, there are many conditions that could lead to difficulty concentrating, but a professional would know how to diagnoses these the best. I have struggled with this issue a lot I’m the past and have read articles that explain the possible cause of decreased focus in the younger generation. The rise of technology and having the ability to multitask leaves us used to being constantly stimulated. When we force ourselves to focus on just one thing, such as homework or reading a textbook, it becomes a difficult task. For this, I guess the only suggestion is to try to limit electronic use, but that might not be plausible for many. Overall, most people are not qualified to tell you what’s best for you and you should consider a professional for good options.
Ashthenerdiestnerd
Adderall is a stimulant medication used in the treatment of ADHD, if you don't have ADHD it doesn't typically actually help you focus but instead works in the same way as caffeine, or any other stimulant, does and makes you more "awake" or "alert". Using Adderall recreationally/without a prescription is both unethical and illegal, and definitely not something recommended as it can be physiologically and psychologically damaging due to side effects and misuse. If you believe you may have ADHD, or you are already diagnosed, bring it up with your doctor and discuss what your options are. However medication does not help everyone and there are other ways you can support yourself such as practicing mindfulness, if your doctor does not believe you need ADHD medication then it is likely not the best option (at the moment) for you and you should look at other methods of improving your general wellbeing.
peacefulLight8704
If you are concerned that you may have a disorder like ADD or ADHD, first, you should talk to your school counselor or healthcare provider about diagnosis. They can help you work through all of this. It may be a good option for you, but a qualified person needs to help you decide this. Never take medication which is prescribed to or belongs to someone else. This can be very, very dangerous. You should always consult with a professional before trying any new medications or treatment plans. But if it turns out that Adderall is the right option for you, then you can get a prescription from a psychiatrist.