I'm 14 and pretty much positive that I have ADHD and pretty sure I'm depressed as a result. I've been missing school now and my parents just don't have a clue why. How do I mention it?

Maryna Svitasheva, PhD. RP

Psychotherapy I provide is based on a dialog and your active intention to look for a solution with the therapist's assistance

sincereLion3002
I'm so sorry to hear this. I have found the best way to bring mental health issues up is to do it at a time where everyone is calm (i.e. not when you have been fighting about school). Calmly explain some of your symptoms to one or both of your parents and explain that this has been contributing to your behavior. Sometimes, it can be helpful to use "I feel X when Y happens" statements in these sorts of circumstances to explain your feelings. For example, "I feeling discouraged and depressed when I cannot concentrate at school because it makes me feel like a failure". Phrasing things this way can help explain your actions and feelings without shifting the blame. Often when their children struggle in school, parents aren't sure what to do, so you offering them with a solvable explanation should come as a relief to them. I hope you get the help you need!
MandaGPanda
Understanding what you need and advocating for yourself can be hard to do. Reaching out for health may seem like a sign of weakness, but it takes incredible strength to recognize you need help. Your parents want what's best for you and they worry because they care. If you just remain open with yourself and advocate for what you feel you need, things should work out.
Talk to them about getting a professional diagnosis and help to what is causing the issues you are talking about