What struggles do people with ADHD face?

Italy

Anna Pavia, psicologa psicoterapeuta psychoterapist psychologist counselor

I feel my work as my personal mission and I love it. My work with clients is nonjudgmental, supportive. I am a very good listener. I use several approaches. Amo il mio lavoro.

TheBrookster
May 3rd, 2020 6:44am
This is coming from who has ADHD, so this is my perspective on it. ADHD makes the world a very scary and challenging place. People with ADHD may experience things like lack of focus, easily distracted, hyperactivity, lack of organization, forgetfulness. People with ADHD may also experience things like impulsivity, irritability, aggression, and stubbornness. People with ADHD might also have anxiety and/or depression. Some people with Autism may also have ADHD. For me personally, it’s a struggle for me but you learn to adapt to your needs. It’s important to note that just because ADHD makes things harder, they don’t make them impossible!
KennedyRise
Often, people with ADHD spend more time studying than others, but come away with lower test scores than others. It can feel disheartening and confusing and serve as a demotivation to study. If you are in school, advocate for accommodations which will help you thrive. Perhaps your teacher will let you take a test orally or give you more time to take a test than others. If you aren't successful in getting this sort of accommodation, consider requesting to be tested for learning disabilities and ADHD. If you qualify, you will be able to work with the Resource staff to develop and implement accommodations for all of your assignments and tests. These accommodations will increase the chances that you will experience school success more equivalent to the effort you put in. They will also help you in better understanding how best you learn.
shannon3546
I think the biggest struggle for anyone with ADHD is keeping focus, it could be in school in work or at home! little things such as doing homework, tidying there rooms, even just watching a movie, I personally don't have the attention spam others may have especially in school and as soon as someone points it out I would loose the head I have learned to control this. fidgeting is a big some would call issue but I say way of dealing with it, it helps people stay focused and on task rather than sitting there day dreaming, if anyone would like to talk about ADHD drop me a message : )
AstralOcean
I think it really depends on the person. Everyone is different and we don't all experience ADHD in the same manner. For me, anxiety and occasional depression came as a bit of a package deal - mostly anxiety. As a kid, being so anxious made me withdrawn, and my social skills suffered pretty badly as a result. Something else that i notice in particular is being impulsive. This varies per person as well, but i have to take extra care while driving sometimes, and sometimes i want to buy things but hold myself back so i can spend the money on other things. Some people with ADHD are very talkative, while others tend to be quiet because they're anxious or don't know what to say.
Anonymous
People with ADHD face many problems related to how other people see them. Some people think that it is not a real mental illness, and some people only know about the hyperactivity and yhen when other symptoms are shown they don't understand that it's beyond the persons controll. Because of this people choose not to tell people but then they get judged for not acting "correctly" this can really hurt a persons self esteem especcisllh because a person with ADHD already struggles with keeping emotions in check. Most people with ADHD get diagnosed with another mental illness at some point( depression, anxiety) in girls ADHD presents itself differently so they can be misdiagnosed or just think there is something wrong with them.
Anonymous
Well it may vary from person to person. Obviously you have the main ones such as a short attentions span, hyperactivity, fidgeting and squirming etc. But it varies for every individual. Some may find they don't have some of the symptoms that others do, it depends on person to person. In my experience with it I tend to be quite impulsive, speaking without thinking or doing things without thinking them through first,I find tests extreme hard as I can't focus and my mind is just in a completely different place to where it should be. I also have to be doing something. It could be tapping the desk or walking or biting my sleeve, just anything. I can't stand still for long. Obviously this is just the things I have to deal with, or some of them, it will be different for everyone, so if you have any suspicions then it would be best to ask someone professional and trained in the area.
Anonymous
A lot, unfortunately. It can be very challenging to live with ADHD and learning to work with the struggles and how to manage them is a necessary life skill. Things like low self-esteem, poor grades or struggling in school, difficulty getting into college or getting a job. Anxiety, depression or other mental health issues, time-management challenges. Difficulty managing money, disorganization, difficulty sitting still, focusing- either trouble concentrating or hyper focusing are just a few. There are things apparent as children that people struggle with but becomes easier as they grow older. Some challenges stay forever, or appear as responsibilities grow. Hope this helps
proudPeace77
They can't concentrate for long periods of time and they become short tempered if they are constantly badgered by people. They have a short attention span which means they find it difficult to complete tasks, so this could mean that they could have issues when they are at school, college or work. They may not have many friends because people may not understand where they are coming from and they can't express themselves very well. Their family life may be difficult and they may have conflicts within the family or become overprotected because their parents are worried about how they are coping with their every day life. It is not easy for them.
Anonymous
I have ADHD (well, ADD). My brain is an unwilling participant. When I ask it to focus, it fights me. It's like a petulant kid who would do what it wants to. Here are the struggles I face daily: When you speak to me, I nod my head and hmm whenever needed. In fact, I've mastered the art of making you believe that I'm listening to you, but I'm daydreaming instead and feeling very out of it. I can't watch a movie, because I need to remind myself to focus every few seconds. My grades suck, because 2 hours to finish an exam aren't enough, and why would anyone give me more than 2 hours? In fact, give me 4 days and maybe I will still fail. I can't read a question that is longer than one line. If it has a word I don't understand, forget that I will ever read it. It's not that I don't want to, I find myself unable to, my brain forces me to not read It, so I have given up. I don't do my assignments because I can't. I know I'd fail my class, but I still can't do it. I force myself to open my book and I still can't do it. I get an F at the end most of the times. Sometimes my professors are generous. I forget where I put my keys. I forget my passwords. I forget that I have multiple patient booklets just for ADHD because I forget them at home each time I go to my doctor. I can't revise my own writing so I skim it. I can't stand in lines and wait for my turn. It's the worst kind of torture. I can't wait for deadlines. I get frustrated and anxious and depressed about my future because my grades suck and who knows what job I'll find. And then people say "just focus, ", " try to forget you have ADHD, " and psychologists say " you're too smart to have ADHD” and parents say, “if you studied more maybe you wouldn't flunk” and psychiatrists say “that stimulant isn't available here and that drug is controlled”, I just feel hopeless. I can't explain what goes on in my mind and I don't have any way to make it better. So I'm hopeless.
wonderfulEyes1848
They struggle to focus on a project, class, task etc. They find long periods of concentration difficult to manage. Sitting still for long periods can be difficult for them because they have a lot of energy, which can cause them to tap foot, swing arm etc. Hyperactivity is common because of excess energy. Procasination is common because they can find they easily become distracted and get bored easily. The style of learning is likely to be different because they like to be hands on and to move around. Their communication is likely to suffer because they can appear their not listening, which could be misunderstood for rudeness.
RainbowRosie
Having ADHD can have a significant impact on someone’s life. It is a medical condition that affects a persons attention and self control. Symptoms include trouble organising tasks, being easily distracted, avoiding things that take effort, the inability to hold their attention on a given task, often loses things, ie. keys, mobile phone, etc., can often forget daily activities, ie. routine appointment and doesn’t seem to be listening when spoken to directly. They can also have trouble multi tasking, can be restless with low frustration tolerance. For anyone suffering with ADHD it can be extremely difficult for them to do their job or even hold down a job, feeling as they do. If left untreated it can lead to significant problems with their education, family and social situations, any relationship they may be in, self esteem and emotional health. It’s never too late to recognise and diagnose and treat ADHD.
jocelynmaryeilleen
People who have ADHD struggle from so much! From the actual struggles of it to the people who say you use it as an excuse! ADHD is really hard to have, because it make school, sleeping, eating, and doing all the "normal" things harder. You have to potentially take on the responsibility of taking medication, and you may have to have special accommodations in school, that can be sometimes embarrassing. when you want to sleep, your mind does not shut up, and when you have to eat, you may not have an appetite. It makes people think you are weird and hyper. ADHD may not be as serious as other things, but to the person with ADHD, it is serious, because, we have to work so much harder to get by and succeed.
Anonymous
People with ADHD have trouble focusing, and paying attention. They may have shorter memory and lose things often aswell, and sometimes they can be disorganized. Some people with ADHD may have trouble controlling anger, or just emotions in general, and some people may have impulsiveness. They may get bored more easily and crave attention more aswell. A lot of people with ADHD will have problems at school or work, and may preform lower aswell. Sometimes they may also have trouble socializing and bulding friendships too. They may have a harder time battling addiction, and might have a low tolerance for frustration.
endearingLove2648
People with ADHD suffer many struggles. Some being anxiety, boredom, trouble concerntration, depression, trouble controlling anger, impulsiveness, and hoplessness. People with ADHD struggle with concentrating at work or any kind of activity. This can be a struggle, especially when the person is in school or having to sit down for extended periods of time. In addition, people with ADHD are often on medications that can come with very troubling symptoms. For exmaple, people with ADHD are often prescribed amphetamines which are knwon for cuasing: insomnia, anxiety, anorexia and weight loss. Patients with ADHD need to be aware of these side effects.
MissMorgue125
I have no concentration, I can get super restless and also super exciteable at times. In these moments I feel stuck in my head, like I am watching a film, and I cringe at what I am doing albeit have little control over it. I can't help being so exciteable all the time. I feel as I have gotten older my ADHD is a lot more manageable than when I was a kid and teen. It is still a part of my life and I have good and bad days. I couldn't even tell you the last time I managed to sit through a whole film.