At what point are you considered to be an alcoholic or addict?

Polly Letsch, LCSW

I provide non-judgmental, person-centered, objective therapeutic treatment for individuals of all ages to improve social, emotional, mental and other areas of functioning.

Letitout15
When you use your drug of choice to run or hide from reality. When it helps to avoid problems and numbs emotional pain. When you start making excuses to use, hide your use and rationalizing your use of these substances and then get angry when someone confronts you about it.
Anonymous
If you binge drink or have other problems with alcohol, you may have many of the signs and symptoms- Be unable to limit the amount of alcohol you drink Feel a strong need or compulsion to drink Develop tolerance to alcohol so that you need more to feel its effects Drink alone or hide your drinking Experience physical withdrawal symptoms — such as nausea, sweating and shaking — when you don't drink Not remember conversations or commitments, sometimes referred to as a "black out" Make a ritual of having drinks at certain times and become annoyed when this ritual is disturbed or questioned Be irritable when your usual drinking time nears, especially if alcohol isn't available Keep alcohol in unlikely places at home, at work or in your car Gulp drinks, order doubles or become drunk intentionally to feel good, or drink to feel "normal" Have legal problems or problems with relationships, employment or finances due to drinking Lose interest in activities and hobbies that used to bring you pleasure
SpunkyMonkey100
i think the point where you become or consider yourself an addict is when your addiction manifests itself into a lifestyle, and you become heavily reliant and dependent on substances in your day to day life, and when you recognise that you have a problem and aren't content or happy with the amount you consume.
MoonWaterAngel82
When you cannot function without the substance and use it more often throughout the day everyday. Ex: Smoking a half or whole pack of cigarettes in a day would be considered addicted.
fearlessDime2696
When you can no longer control alcohol....it controls you. I know first hand.
Swifting
Addiction is considered an issue when it interferes with your daily normal life the point where you cannot function without the substance or when the substance stops you from doing things you normally would: school, work, family functions, etc.
UntilThen
Addiction self-assessment questions: - If I tried to stop could I? - Has my use hurt my social relationships? - Am I usually focused on the next time I won't be sober? - Does being sober feel like a chore? - Has my use changed my exercise or eating habits? - Has my use caused a decline in how much I do things I like? - Do I feel that I used to enjoy lots of things but now I don't? The more you answer yes to these, the more you should consider talking to a professional about your concerns.
CaptainBettyTheTerrible
When you are relying on these substances just to get through a normal day, or when you begin hiding your usage.
originalLion57
When you use drugs or alcohol to escape pain and you think about doing it all the time and you feel angry and upset if you can't get it.
Anonymous
You are an addict once the choices you make to use have negative consequences but you decide you will do it anyway.
dancingStrawberry34
When it takes over your life.
CaffeinatedSleeper1
I've had a friend who considered himself an alcoholic/addict. I believe the point you are considered one is a few things. One is it's the point where these issues start affecting your ability to function in life. Another is it's when you can't stop. If you do, there will be this itching feeling/craving making you want more
Anonymous
When you can face the hard reality.
Anonymous
When you can't stop, or when you can't stop thinking about it, you plan your schedule around it, maybe. You might think you have the capability of forcing yourself to stop, but you keep on doing it because you like it so much. That's part of an addiction.
Anonymous
Once a substance interferes with or takes over the course of your life, it moves from a habit to an addiction.
Anonymous
I think you're an addict the moment you feel like you cannot get by without the drugs or alcohol, or when the drugs or alcohol seem like a friend who is there for you when no one else is. That's dangerous territory. It takes you from being in control to being controlled. The mind is a tricky thing, and it might convince you that you are better, smarter, and wiser when you're using, when, in reality, you're being enslaved. If you feel like your life doesn't feel good without drugs or alcohol, get help as soon as possible and save yourself!