How can I stop drinking or taking drugs?

Adam Brown, PhD, LICSW

Asking for help can be a challenge, especially when feeling shameful, guilty, or embarrassed of our thoughts and/or behaviors. I am happy to support you work through this.

BeyondEmpathy
That is always a difficult question and in this i feel it really important that you find your own personal reasons as to why this would be of benefit for you. Maybe speaking to someone could help you unpack this and support yourself to your future goals?
Anonymous
Maybe you should consider a detox center. Then decide whether treatment is a good option for you. I do highly recommend treatment though. You don't want it to ever be a habitual habit. Again bad for mind, body and soul.
Anonymous
October 22nd, 2016 5:21am
I would say the easy answer is to learn how to fill up those emotional holes and psychological wounds with something other than controlled substances. For instance, many people use drugs and alcohol because they feel miserable emotionally. Maybe take some time for self-care, self-love rather than self-medicating the pain away. Once we face our pain, we can heal from it. The drugs are only a distraction
ImaginaryPainting
Find support and a specialist that might help you find a good plan that would suit your lifestyle/drinking/drugs problem.
Izak99
If you've gotten used to consuming them on a daily basis, you should first try talking to people who are close to you. since they might be able to give you the encouragement you need to not give in after a few days/weeks. After that you should try to find a detox clinic, since quitting alcohol all of a sudden can cause serious health issues or even death if done improperly.
sharkradio
The only way you can stop is if you determine that these things are actively getting in the way of the future you wish to pursue. Until you realize that, substance use is always going to be your default coping mechanism. You have to set tangible goals and work toward them, and find active, healthy ways to engage the parts of you that you feel most comfortable with.
TranquilMinds
If you are looking for reasons to stop using drugs, chances are very good that you have noticed that your life is not as happy, enjoyable, or successful as you were before. Hopefully, you're reading this before you've gotten to that point. You'll be healthier. There are many more reasons, but that is probably enough.
Anonymous
Never take on a challenge like this alone. Make sure to surround yourself with family and friends to help you get through this. Rehabilitation centers are the best for this type of problem.
JenniferMarie104
You can stop using drugs by first being 100% sure YOU WANT TO QUIT. If you're being forced to quit the outcome isn't usually the best. After you have decided you want to quit, then next you'd want to look into some help like professional counseling or detox if needed.
roseMelody95
Try checking out www.hams.cc It helped me a lot! Or if you want to get help that focused just on abstinence, I'd recommend SMART Recovery. They have an online site and online meeting both in the USA and the UK, plus if you check there might be in-person meetings you could attend in your area. I would also recommend LifeRing as well if they have any local meetings you can attend. All these are mutual aid support groups that can help you learn the tools that can help you to stop drinking or taking drugs.
HelperTed
Admitting the problem to yourself, then getting control of your impulses. Psycological addictions are usually powerful but short cravings. Control yourself, and the focus on something else, then be proud of yourself everytime you've successfully refrained yourself.
TranquilityQueen
The best way (though it may be challenging to do) is to distance yourself from the people or situations in which you drink or take drugs. As well, try to find pleasant experiences that can replace the feeling that you get from those things, such as practicing reading, writing, or yoga. It may be challenging at first, but it will begin to feel normal with time.
Emcocapr
Quitting is one of the hardest things you can do, taking it one small step at a time is the best thing you can do. Going 'cold turkey' makes you susceptible to relapse, making recovery a lot harder than it should be. Substitute your addictions with beneficial rewards such as that new outfit you've been admiring in the shop window, or a new game you've been dying to play. Quitting doesn't mean depriving yourself, cutting back little by little is the easiest way to free yourself from the burden of addiction.
Kaylei72
Alcohol and drugs can be very addictive. Once addiction has set in, there needs professional help. Yes curing yourself can be done on your own but for long term help, professional help is a great step of action. There are a lot of 12 step programs available that help.
ImAaron
From experience, replacing the addiction is good. It's hard at first but that rewarding feeling of your first day without it is the best one can feel. Go for a run, walk, read, cook, spend time with others, pick up any new hobby, sport, live a new healthy, happy life without that vice!
healingKiwi70
You have to realize the harm and hurt it's causing you first. This is important. And there are thousands of resources available to help you deal with that. Then you have to make up your mind to stop. Then stop those harmful practices. It is important to remember this: the ultimate responsibility lies with you, only you can change you. Befriend people who neither drink nor do drugs, remember birds of the same feather flock together. Hanging out with the wrong crew is what probably got you into this in the first place, so you have to watch your association. If you need further help, do not hesitate to talk to a trained therapist some of whom are available right here on 7 cups. I hope this is of help.
RaelAnon27
Usually, substance abuse is a sign of underlying issues. There might be a reason why someone chooses to feel good rather than facing the hard truth that comes with sobriety. This isn't always the issue, but when it is...it is a matter of treating the mind first, and the body second. Meditation while abusing, is a great way to try to hone in a problem that might not be so apparent. It's better to wean yourself off drugs, than quit all at once.
Royal91
Well, I found in my personal experience, that the best way to stop drinking or taking drugs is to understand the reasons as to why you want to quit (is it a problem for yourself or others). If you are asking this question, chances are that you've thought about this already. I would then develop willpower by recognizing that these actions are negatively impacting my character. Take the example of an smoker that's trying to quit. When offered a smoke, a smoker will go through some inner turmoil that creates 2 polar opposite scenarios in their mind. In the negative scenario, the struggling smoker caves to addiction and lights a cigarette but they feel great. In the other scenario, the struggling smoker create a positive scenario where they they don't smoke but they feel like they missed out on something.
Lemoncozmix
Remove yourself from the temptation, if it's a friend circle or peer group. Take time to remove yourself from the situation until you are in control. Fill your time with other activities and talk to a trusted parent/ sibling about it for reasureance. There are many great coping methods and online support groups to help your journey.
Anonymous
Find something else to spend your time doing. You need to keep busy. Go swimming, bowling anything that will distract you from the urges to use. Urges don't last forever, you just need to get through them. Another important step in quitting is changing your social circle. You need to find sober friends, friends who use will only keep you using
Alley624
You could get professional help, Drug and Alcohol programs, talk to people who have quit. Cold turkey
Anonymous
You could go to a support group. You could talk to people who have had experiences with those kind of stuff and you could try to turn yourself around. Don't buy alcohol or drugs and find a substitute.
Serenequeen713
That was a completely personal choice for me. I hit my rock bottom months prior to stopping, used against my will, lost my house, my car, my job, my kids, my self worth, and my will to live. It wasn't until I overdosed 4 times in 3 weeks that I thought I had a problem. The night before I reached out for help I remember praying to a God I wasn't sure if I believed in at the time and was so desperate. It was life or death for me. I finally crawled to get help and humbled my self and ran with it through the pain of withdrawal and all, and did whatever I was suggested to do. It's been 27 months now and has been the best choice that I've ever made
Anonymous
You can rehabilitate yourself.. You'll have to keep drinking or taking drugs but have to lower the amount everyday.. This way you'll have what you are craving and you'll be walking towards your betterment slowly.. If you think you are strong and sincere enough with yourself, you can do this yourself.. Otherwise maybe a friend or some rehabilitation center can help you better :)
comfortingRainbow22
Try to invest your time and energy in positive actives that you enjoy doing and help your development. Surround yourself by people who help you move forward, not go back to it. Find a support group to discuss your feelings and process. If you consider that you keep pit falling repeatedly, it would be advisable to go to a healthcare facility to recover.
magicalMango74
A day at a time will help you from feeling overwhelmed. Begin by consulting with a professional so you can detox safely if need be. Then utilize individual or group therapy and try mutual aid groups for additional support. Remember that a Substance Use Disorder is a chronic disease. Reducing harm is progress. A " relapse" may be a set back but can be dealt with swiftly.
Anonymous
First thing is to talk to someone who can support you and help you not to give up. There are a lot of organisations who help people who are trying to change and stop their addictions, you are not alone.
Nicole4
If you have to ask yourself how you can stop drinking and taking drugs shows you have already accepted the fact that you need to quit, and simple taking a day at a time not doing these two things will help you quit. Each day is a fresh start to not drink or do any drugs. You may also seek professional help as well to assist you on qutting.
littlebearfi
That is a very hard path... Being someone who struggles with that I have to say never give up. Giving is the first step to your worst life. You can be strong! It is so very hard but not impossible. The sober life is the good life. I recommend talking to someone.
Anonymous
Seek professional help. Confide in those closest to you. Create a support system. Remove yourself from people or situations that encourage you to use. Remember things that made you happy before you began using. Focus on loving yourself.