How can I stop drinking or taking drugs?

Adam Brown, PhD, LICSW (WA & MA) LCSW (NY & IL)

Asking for help can be a challenge, especially when feeling shameful, guilty, or embarrassed of our thoughts and/or behaviors. I am happy to support you work through this.

trueaddictions
Try to set a personal goal that you think you're able to achieve. Start by setting short-time goals, and achieving them, and whenever you're prepared, go ahead and try the same thing with long-time goals.
swanswan
There are a few methods such as re habilitation centres, medications, sheer will and medical motivation such as damaged organs. However it all boils down to the will and determination to change
Anonymous
It's important to realize that drugs are just a temporary solution to a long term problem and often times can make things worse when they wear off.
LukaCanWithUg
go with your friends somewhere, nice and calm place. 2-3 days are enough i think, u will understand it simply, life can be good without drugs too.
aestheticbeebo
You can. You need to promise yourself first. I know that you can. It will feel like the worlds most impossible thing to do. But if you think you can, then you can and there's no one stopping you other than yourself.
ppeachess
Getting sober is always tough. My current partner is struggling with addiction, and I try my best to be as supportive as possible. I think wanting to stop is the first step, as well as admitting you have a problem with substances. Don't be afraid of reaching out for help, wether it's from loved ones or professionals, especially from professionals.
originalMusic45
If I even have the thought that I need to stop drinking or taking drugs, I need to stop. It's time to admit that I can't do it by myself, and ask for help. And the time is today, this minute, this second. Help is here, and there are no judgements -- begin. Just begin. Tell one person. And begin.
sierralocket
Somebody once told me it takes 5 good habits to replace one bad one. But I think the worst thing you could do is substitute one addiction for another. Try to engage in more self-care and work towards healthy lifestyle changes. A more serious approach could also be looking into therapy or rehabilitation.
Anonymous
This is a question with a very complicated answer. If you're truly in a place where you really want to stop, the first step is knowledge! Explore yourself, and be honest - ask "why am I self-medicating?" This is hard to do, because the reason you're drinking and drugging in the first place is to avoid confronting that very question. As hard as this is to do, it's only the first step. When we feel bad enough, our first instinct is to stop the pain. Our brain will tell us, "Hey, remember how you felt better last time? You got drunk." The insidious part of this is that we ALL conveniently forget the problems it caused, we only remember the temporary reward. Once you come to these realizations, you have to accept the fact that a true alcoholic or addict can never defeat the disease on their own. You have to reach out to others like you for support. Stepping into an NA or AA meeting is one of the hardest things a person can do, but if you're truly ready to stop, there are unlimited resources out there dedicated to helping you get there. So, identify the problem and reach out for help with it. There's more to it than that, but that is enough to get you on the road to recovery, if you really want to get better!
Aadhyaa21
December 2nd, 2017 12:29pm
The most important thing is to decide that you won't take drugs or drink anymore. Once you've done that, do contact Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous of your country. These are worldwide fellowships that will help you give them up.
Nikandlv
You need to realize that these things are temporary and they dont matter all the do is hurt you and your body, you should find the reason that why you are doing them and find a better answer to those needs
Anonymous
Create strategies to deal with cravings. Plan how to stop cravings and have a process in place to deal with these as they occur.
StepOneListen
Are you addicted? Because if you are addicted to drugs then the process becomes much more difficult. Eventually, there really is one thing I've found that helps people with addiction. Pain. Pain builds up until one day you tell yourself this isn't what I want anymore, I need to get help. Also, support from your friends and family is extremely important. Drugs and alcohol especially when you're addicted tend to isolate you from others. During, rehab, your support system is your lifeline. Talk to someone about what you are going through, doing it by yourself, with just your own willpower will not be enough to stop. You will tell yourself this is the last time 100, 500 times and you will still use the next time. Start by opening up to someone and if the problem is serious I'd look into rehab.
dfdavid123
Inpatient treatment: Typically, inpatient treatment programs last 30 days , 60 days , or 90 days . But these lengths can be adjusted according to your personal needs. When living at the treatment facility, you can escape your using environment to focus solely on your recovery. Outpatient treatment: Outpatient rehab options include intensive outpatient, partial hospitalization and standard outpatient treatment. Intensive and partial are more structured, and typically time-intensive treatment programs. You attend therapy a number of times per week, depending on the intensity of the program. Standard outpatient programs typically require you to attend once per week and may gradually decrease this rate over time. 12-step programs: 12-step programs such as Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous are free to join and have meetings all across the United States and Canada. Alternative support groups: Groups such as SMART Recovery and Secular Organizations for Sobriety forego the more spiritual atmosphere of 12-step programs and base recovery on scientific principles and ongoing acquisition of knowledge.
KennethZ
January 31st, 2018 3:45pm
The first step to stopping any kind of substance abuse issue is actually -wanting- to stop for yourself. I wasn't able to quit drinking until -I- made the decision to stop. I couldn't let someone else make the decision for me. Look into local 12 step programs. They didn't work for me, but they have a higher rate of success than most other types of therapy for substance abuse.
jennmichelle126
January 31st, 2018 8:22pm
Substance abuse is very challenging to get out of alone. The best approach is to use multiple approaches. It's good to have a friend or family member on your side, a counsellor or therapist who specialises in substance abuse, as well as a support group in your community. Addiction is something difficult to do on your own, but with the right help, you can overcome your struggles and take back your life.
Brittany8013
There is no one way to quit an addiction, however there are things that need to be in place. the addict must acknowledge the problem, and want to fix it. the addict must have a positive support system, be it professional or relative. the addict must have a plan and a goal. Quitting an addiction such as drugs or alchohol is extreamly difficult, as the body is reliant on the substance. but it can be done!
IzzieBelle
I think it's important first of all to "commit to quit" - getting sober takes time, it takes effort, and there's no quick fix, so committing to it with all you have is the first challenge (sometimes it can be helpful to make a list of all the reasons you want to quit) - once you've committed to getting sober you can set some goals and choose a treatment plan. When you set goals it can help you to keep motivation. You might set a goal of learning how to manage your anger when you have a craving... or perhaps a goal of how to label your emotions and then express them in a healthy way. Your treatment plan will depend on the type of substance, the amount, and also may even depend on your support network and financial situation. You may choose to enrol in a detox or rehab program (you may need to speak to a doctor or research this). Finding the right support for you is crucial to recovery and getting sober... some people will join AA or NA meetings to attend weekly, and others will look to family and friends. As always, i suggest searching online for options that may work for you, and remembering that although it may be a struggle, many people have conquered addictions by creating a plan that works for them. Good luck!
Anonymous
March 23rd, 2018 10:39pm
From my experiences and education, you must know what triggers it all. It could be something or someone that triggers your emotions negatively, and makes you want to erase/numb those emotions. By simply understanding what the triggers are, you can then make appropriate steps to change your lifestyle to motion away from the triggers, and become the ideal person you know you can achieve.
positiveGrace10
Take it slow and don't be too hard on yourself. Try to stop completely, cold turkey, and try to tell someone you trust to help you out but don't think of it as a failure if you find yourself going back to your addiction. It's a step on your path to recovery. There's always support groups and people to give positive reinforcements and advice. Stay strong!
Anonymous
You can always think about your future. Ask yourself if doing drugs and alcohol will make you a better person. Strive big and think if it’ll help. Will it benefit your future job? Or your future life?
greatfulEnergy70
Find out things that bring you peace, apart from the temporary relief that you get with drinking or taking drugs. For instance, try to teach the underprivileged children, or offer food to someone who is hungry.
QueenEmpress
Like many things that are difficult to quit, we have to be committed to it. Although we may have things in our lives that may give us a push or a reason, such as children or health scares, the decision is truly up to the person. Support is very important, we need people we can turn to that we feel we can depend on to talk to. We have to completely change our environment and stay away from people that will trigger the behavior. When we slip up, it’s not failure, we have to get right back on it and not think we can’t do it.
Anonymous
Support, self determination, self love, new group off friends, affirmations, self forgiveness...…..
Anonymous
May 23rd, 2018 12:50am
First step it to accept that you need help. Seek the help and maybe start setting yourself goals to reach so you have something to look forward too
silverForest36
Admit you have a problem. That’s the first step. You can go to the hospital and say you need to go to a rehab center. They will send you to one that has room. Don’t get your hopes up though because sometimes there isn’t one available and you’ll have to come back another day. Just work hard everyday. And remember that it’s one day at a time.
StWilson
Discipline. Start setting goals. Start with 12 hours and then continue the trend till months. I am clean for 7 years now.
LimitlessSDCA
In simple terms, stop! Real talk, it's not that easy. Firstly stop associating yourself with those if a likemindedness. Secondly, distract yourself in times when you would go to the drink or drugs. You have to WANT to stop though. Otherwise, you will keep going back.
Understandingempath
Understand first that these substances only provide a way to cope with other matters amd that they cause more harm than they help. Determining the key issue which leads one to seek substances to abuse is the first step. Treating that issue in a more affective way will likely reduce the urge to use substances, however there is the chance that the person has become dependent on the substances as well. In this case one would benefit best by seeking treatment for substance abuse.
Panther7
You can do it by just thinking right, or to find alternative hobbys, like music, fitness or at the end meditation or finding your own, to change things is about changing mind,so you need strong or dynamic will and minds