How do I cope outside of rehab?

Parvathy Venugopal, MSc in Clinical psychology

Life is chaotic and you need to rest if you're tired. I am here to help you relax until you are ready to start over again.Your mental health is priority, so is your happiness.

brightTouch58
January 2nd, 2015 9:26pm
coping outside rehab is sometimes difficult as you have left a controlled environment to one where it's easy to fall back into old habit. Determination is a key factor in coping, you must constantly remind yourself the reason why you went to rehab in the first place which is to get better. surround yourself with supportive friends and family that would lift you up and motivate you in moments of weakness
AllieElisabeth
Find your local 12 Step program group and attend meetings at least once a week. You can also get phone numbers there of people in recovery whom you can call on for support.
24hoursaday
I can only speak to my experience, but after I left rehab, I was only able to stay clean and sober by immersing myself in Alcoholics Anonymous. In addition to that, I had to learn not to dwell on cravings: the more mental energy I poured onto the "mental obsession" (as we call it in AA), the more I wanted to drink/use. Instead, if I shifted my attention to something else--even something as simple as taking a walk or watching TV--the craving soon passed.
Wideawake4Life
Rehab is a gift because it provides structure, community, resource support, stability among other things. It is important to have those same assets outside of rehab such as: a place called home, a job, healthy eating, healthcare, exercise, spiritual development, a support group, positive and supportive friends, a mentor or sponsor, and of course 7 Cups of Tea. And any other helps and resources for healthy living.
gentleName12
One of the best ways to cope outside of rehab is to develop healthy habits. A habit can be anything from a hobby to just hanging out with people who are sympathetic to your condition.
Dailydaydreama
Sponsors are a common part of recovery and are used to support people who have been in rehab so you don't have to cope alone
kristinshere
remember the reason your trying to stay clean and hold onto that. Ask yourself when you feel an urge is the reason you quit more important than the substance. Try to involve yourself in positive things like volunteer work
Lucipurroxie
Keep a tight knit support group ( I can't tell you how important that is). Stay busy. Journal. Pick up a hobby. I paint, do photography and most importantly, don't be ashamed to talk to anyone willing to listen about your experience. The internet provides so many opportunities to do so.
Anonymous
A support system of some sort is very important. If AA or NA is something you do, go to meetings everyday or as much as possible. If not, find a support group. Exercise is important, not only does it keep you healthy, it releases natural "feel good" chemicals in the brain, like endorphins. Explore different healthy activities or hobbies that you find enjoyable and fulfilling and do them often. Channeling difficult feelings and urges into creativity of any kind is an excellent way to overcome those feelings and urges. Have an accountability buddy that you trust and call them anytime you want to drink, do drugs or whatever you went to rehab for. Keep going to any counseling and/or doctor's appointments that you have scheduled.