How do I deal with cravings that seem out of control?

Jannise McKamey-Bruell, LAPC

I am a nonjudgmental counselor that employs transparency, trust, honesty and integrity in her practice and in the therapeutic relationship.

Brielle224
You can try and distract yourself from these cravings, such as doing something you enjoy doing or that is fun. Even just calling a friend may help your mind get off of what your craving. Also staying positive and telling yourself that you can get through it can help because usually cravings are just in your mind.
Floral
Try to occupy yourself with other things or come up with a plan for when you get these cravings and try and stick to the plan. Having someone to talk to or someone that supports you also helps.
LilyFlowers
It depends the sort of cravings they are. If it's a sweet craving and you just gone cold turkey, it's different than just wanting something sweet, when you normally eat something sweet. there is also something called a sugar addiction, where it's less about you and more about your body. Something like the sugar eating bugs in our body get angry and secrete a harmful substance that causes us to want more sugar, if we dont give them the sugar they want. we can get rid of the little bugs if we stop eating sugar and starve them, or use other detoxifying measure. and don't be scared about bugs inside of you. they are really small. Humans are host to tonssssssss of living bacteria and bugs. They are just microscopic. but knowing about it can help us. Also not all bacteria is bad, we need certain one's for digestion.
Anonymous
I am an alcoholic. My drinking was out of control. I deal with it 1 day at a time. Now 25 years since I have had a drink. Life could not be better. No hang overs. Have friends. I even know what I did last night. When drinking I did not know what I done.
brirose23
This is really hard for me as well. Cravings are just something that WILL eventually go away or just subside so much that they don't bother you. But what you can do in the mean time, is focus your mind onto something postive and go hang out with a friend that is later in recovery.
SkyeLilyxox
Take one day at a time. I found distraction worked best for me, Do something you enjoy doing; reading, playing, going out with friends, or even just talking to someone about it. There will always be someone here at 7 cups to chat too if you ever need it. Also it could be useful to get some professional help or advice.