How do I help someone I have a hard time relating to?

Shruti Naik, MS in Counselling and Psychotherapy

I'm passionate about providing a non-judgmental & supportive platform to my clients to help them understand & accept themselves & overcome any emotional issues troubling them.

averie27
When listening to people who have struggles I have not experienced personally, I have found it most effective to focus on the emotions involved to reach an understanding. For example, a good friend of mine has OCD. While I have never experienced OCD, I can listen to her story and identify the emotions involved. I do not experience the compulsions characteristic of OCD, but I can identify and relate to her emotions, like frustration with oneself or a feeling of helplessness. I've found that others often focus only on the speaker's specific situation or response, and showing that you understand the feelings involved can make them feel truly heard.