How do you keep up your will to recover? Recovery is hard and I don't know how to motivate myself to keep working towards recovery.

Stacey Kiger, LPC

My belief is that therapy is not about giving advice, but joining you on your journey

freshMelon54
Having the will and strength to keep recovering can be hard, so it is perfectly normal to lack in motivation from time to time. Remember why you began to recover. Were you doing it for yourself and for the people you love? Were you sick of living a specific way and wanted to make a change? No matter the reason, make sure you are partially doing it for yourself. Remember that this struggle to recover is not going to last forever. When we want something badly enough, as humans we'll do anything to get it. The same goes for recovering. Try talking to people who are close to you and who you trust about needing that extra push to stay on the right track. It's okay to struggle, it's normal. Just don't give up hope, you can and will overcome this. The struggle is not your life, it is not forever. Good things will happen in the future, just remember why you wanted to recover. Engage yourself in healthy activities that you are passionate about. That can be a good confidence boost! I know you can do this, you will do this! I believe in you! Good luck!!
MissMeghan
I know how difficult recovery can be.. in my case I will never be "recovered" but all I can hope for is improvement.. I know when were feeling hopeless these pessimistic thoughts can consume us and our day, and we can get this "tunnel vision" seemingly looking down to the negatives with no way up 😔 But I know for me, as long as you hold onto those thoughts of hope and reassure yourself it'll all play out, just let life... happen, its helped alot. I know sometimes flashes of anxiety and depression can distract us from the amazing parts of life, but there IS hope, and theres always a reason to carry on.
NurseDustin
Recovery for any situation is very difficult as you have already discussed. Using things like distraction (using this want or need for something, to find a good hobby or something else that helps you make the best use of your time in order to decrease the cravings or need for your vice) or Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (being about to tell your "mind" that you will not do this and replace the negative thought of needing, for example, alcohol into a positive thought.) Finding ways to move negative thoughts into more positive thoughts is very common during recovery or therapy for recovery from substance abuse.