How do you keep up your will to recover? Recovery is hard and I don't know how to motivate myself to keep working towards recovery.

Stacey Kiger, LPC

My belief is that therapy is not about giving advice, but joining you on your journey

MissMeghan
I know how difficult recovery can be.. in my case I will never be "recovered" but all I can hope for is improvement.. I know when were feeling hopeless these pessimistic thoughts can consume us and our day, and we can get this "tunnel vision" seemingly looking down to the negatives with no way up 😔 But I know for me, as long as you hold onto those thoughts of hope and reassure yourself it'll all play out, just let life... happen, its helped alot. I know sometimes flashes of anxiety and depression can distract us from the amazing parts of life, but there IS hope, and theres always a reason to carry on.
NurseDustin
Recovery for any situation is very difficult as you have already discussed. Using things like distraction (using this want or need for something, to find a good hobby or something else that helps you make the best use of your time in order to decrease the cravings or need for your vice) or Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (being about to tell your "mind" that you will not do this and replace the negative thought of needing, for example, alcohol into a positive thought.) Finding ways to move negative thoughts into more positive thoughts is very common during recovery or therapy for recovery from substance abuse.
Zeroshade
I try much not to think about what i have done, or what i did, i focus on what i can do to prevent what i did from happening again...and recovering just happens for being willing to do good for yourself, and having the heart to know when you need good in your life.If you don't pay much attention to what needs your attention now, someday it will take more of your attention than it possibly deserves. Recovery is hard and easy but if you are willing, you'll get through, you are brave enough to control your life not rather sorrows and sadness controlling you.