I failed a drug test at work-will I lose my job?

Ann Brooks, MSW, LICSW

Thank you for your interest! I am a LICSW licensed in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. I’m here to listen and I look forward to working with you.

Mikee - Expert in Alcohol/Drug Use
Hi, glad you're here. My name is Mikee. Failing a drug test at work is frightening. Can you tell me more?
Siouxsie
It is possible, yes. And if so, it would be a natural consequence to choices made. However, more and more employers are recognizing that addiction is a real disease, and are now offering programs to help employees get clean and heal.
Ej
I would recommend reviewing your works' policies. They're suppose to be readily available to everyone and their potential repercussions should also be mentioned. Usually, in these cases, it would depend on the drug and circumstances, though some establishments/industries/businesses/fields have mandatory sentencing/policy. I highly recommend contacting Human Resources to receive a more in-depth, accurate answer.
WilliamsJohn
It depends on your employer's policy. Every company has a different policy. Some employers have zero-tolerance for failed drug test, but it cab be hard time if you fail the test.
SpencerT
If it turned out you were a drug addict, employers should act with caution. It depends on the job and the contractual agreements. Drug use is generally considered gross misconduct and grounds for instant dismissal, but if you are an addict and your drug use does not interfere with your work, yet you get tested, there would be grounds for appeal. At least in the UK.
PRUNE4BEE
Well no not right away. That is not how it should work out. Human resource should approach you about it. If you have an issue, you must accept help But by all means fight it.
Anonymous
That depends. It's best to speak with your employer or your work representative and see what are the protocols for failing a drug test and your rights as a an employee.
ImperfectlyPerfect
You can be fired if you fail a drugs test, yes. Your employer may even contact the police. The best way to avoid this is to become clean!
cathartic
It depends on what you were tested for and if you are offered help and you take it. Most companies test for narcotics and in my experience i have seen it on both counts. Where some were fired and some were offered help for example they asked if you went to rehab and wanted to remain sober than they will relook your work contract
JDust
This depends on a variety of factors. First, of course, is whether or not you have a prescription for the particular drug that is valid in your state. If so, then this is not a concern. Second, it depends on your employer's policy. Some employers have zero-tolerance for failed drug tests, while others might be more lenient so long as future drug tests are clean. Finally, If you are staying in a halfway house, or are on parole, among other variations in legal status / residence/ etc., this can potentially influence or override your employers decision (usually in the direction of termination of employment). tl;dr: It depends.
TalkToMe11
it depends on the policy of the company, but im pretty sure you will have a hard time if you fail one D: sorry
softNutella25
No one can really answer that except for your superiors at work. I can tell you that it will depend on the line of work that you're in. The fact that your place of employment drug tests at all, means that they value the results, so it is a possibility.
Anonymous
Based on what your job's rules are, you could be fired for having drugs in the job. I would check with the rules and see what your boss says.
Angelwings2
Every company has a different policy on failed drug tests. If drugs and/or alcohol are a problem for you, I would consider checking into AA/NA and if that doesn't help, a conversation with your boss about the possibility of treatment may be necessary,
LittleMissJoy
April 2nd, 2019 3:38am
In most work places there is very little tolerance towards employees being under the influence of drugs and alcohol while at work. In any case, it depends on your employer and that decision will be for them to make. Even though you may not have been directly under the influence, traces of a particular drug can still be in your body which can have even the smallest effect on you, potentially causing you to injure yourself or anyone else working around you. There is a reason why some work places feel strongly about drug testing the employees so logically speaking if you have failed a drug test, you may be terminated from your job.