I think my friend has an addiction problem. How can I help?

Netherlands

Caroline Middelsdorf, MSc.

I am a warm hearted, patient, calm and open-minded therapist. I am here to dedicate my expertises to my clients and their individual challenges, thoughts and feelings.

AboveAllisLove
The first and most important thing you can do to help them is to LOVE. Sure, you may be against this addiction, but never be against the person! Your friend or whoever is going through this addiction problem must be having a hard time. Talk to your friend! Find out what's pushing them to turn to addictions! If they've told you about it or asked for help, that is great! Encourage them to talk to a professional and be with them long enough to see them become a better version of themselves! Remind them that they don't have to go through it alone and JUST LOVE! I am currently experiencing this (many of my friends are doing drugs) and would love to have a chat with you about it :)
HerforU2580
you need to sit here down and calmly tell her how concerned you are for her in a positive manner so she can not feel the need to get her guard up
SLothe
The first step is bringing up their addiction in a serious conversation. Show that you are genuinely worried about their well being and you may get through to them.
chasWindow94
See if he would admit he has a problem. Ask about how work, relationships,life's problems are effecting his life. If he admits he might have a problem i would take him to a NA or AA meeting. 12 step
LookForTheRainbow
Talk to him, give him some examples of other people who have had addiction problems, where they have ended up.
Anonymous
Be there for them and try to put yourself in their shoes and understand what they might be going through. Consider offering professional helplines or professional psychology sessions.
metalrob
If you want to help, just tell him/her that you're worried about him/her and that she/he has some addiction that you dislike, But first of all he/she needs to realise that it's a real issue for his/her health and wellbeing.
awesomenesscoordinator
If you believe your friend suffers from any type of addiction, the most important thing to do is to maintain a supportive, non-judgmental character. Don't accuse your friend of anything. Go into the conversation "knowing" there is a problem that you need to tackle, but don't lose sympathy. Tell your friend how you feel. Ask your friend how he or she feels. Share personal experiences about loved ones or even yourself, if you'd like. Discuss the future. If your friend seems interested in helping himself/herself, then supply him/her with support group information.
bouncyMemory75
You can help by talking to their parents / guardian as they can take further actions. You can contact a doctor or other medical professional who will guide you to take the appropriate steps. There are some great online support services like lifeline ect which a quick and easy first move to make.
Anonymous
First, talk to them about it. Tell them that you're concerned they might be falling into an addiction. If you're extremely concerned, bring it to their parents and explain the situation to them.
iwillbeyourfriend
If your friend hasn't talked about it with you, you need to be cautious. Try to address some of the symptoms that points to their addiction and talk about them. Make your friend feel that you are trustworthy and you will keep everything confidential. Make them feel you will still accept them and you wont judge them. After talking it through try to evaluate how seriouse the addiction is and consider encouraging them to seek proffesional help.
IfICanHelpIPromiseIWill
December 22nd, 2015 8:28am
Addiction is serious. I know because my mother was/is still an addict. My mother for instance put drugs before her kids. Her priorities were out of wack. My siblings and I tried to help her by having intervention and trying to get her into a rehab clinic. Also trying to explain to her the things she could lose if she did not seek help. My siblings I being in the teens couldn't live with her doing drugs in front of us and not caring. And also we had to get out of that environment so we wasn't dragged down with her. But unfortunately it didn't hit home in her mind that we would all move out and leave her. I still have remorse, guilt, and regrets for abandoning her but we tried and tried and we failed each every time. Sometimes you have to think about yourself and what you plan to succeed. And realize that if you didn't get out before you were dragged down with her than you through your life in the trash for someone who didn't care to ruin yours. But for your friend get him some help immediately, try a intervention. Don't think you can handle it and fix it by yourself because addiction is a powerful force. So you have to tell your friends parents or guardian. Hopefully you caught the addiction before it got out of hand and can get your friend back. But on the other hand be careful and don't make yourself vulnerable to being dragged with your friend. Sometimes you can try to help numerous times by making them face the addiction but an addict will never be able to recover if they can not admit they are an addict and want help. I'm always here if you need advice on this or someone to talk too.
Anonymous
If someone you care about has asked for help, he or she has taken an important first step. If that person is resistant to help, see if you can at least convince him or her to get an evaluation from a doctor. Emphasize to your friend or loved one that it takes a lot of courage to seek help for a problem because there is a lot of hard work ahead. There is a great deal of scientific evidence that treatment works, and people recover every day. Like other chronic diseases, addiction can be managed successfully. Treatment enables people to counteract the powerfully disruptive effects of any addiction on the brain and behavior and to regain control of their lives. Like many diseases, it can take several attempts at treatment to find the right approach. But assure your friend or loved one that you will be supportive in his or her courageous effort.
Anonymous
LISTEN. Ask your friend questions. Make your friend reflect on addiction's impact on his/ her life. Progress is slow, so never lose patience.
Anonymous
The hardest thing for people you know who have an addiction problem is that they will deny that they even have a problem and trust me you will go to the ends of this world to help them and advise them to help and treatment, but the most you can do is be there for them. Care for them and look out for them, but it's their decision at the end of the day if they want to help themselves, you just have to support and accept and love them even if maybe you can't help them. Later down the road they'll be glad you were there for them instead of forcing them into something they didn't get immediately, but it'll work out.
PowerofNow247
Be supportive and reiterate often the importance of getting help. Addictions are corrosive and cause destruction in many areas of life. It is a short term solution often with no long term benefit. Your friend must address his/her issues from the root it is essential.