Is it my fault for being an addict?

Jennifer Brown, LMHC

I believe cultivating a gentle, loving acceptance of one's self takes tremendous courage because the path is often painful. It's not for the faint of heart.

Wideawake4Life
No. It is not your fault for being an addict. You are not to blame for your desire to feel good by using a substance or behavior. Addiction is a desire to feel good. Having a desire to feel good is not a negative thing. You are not responsible for having a desire to feel good. However, you are responsible for not hurting yourself or others through fulfilling your desire. For example, you like the taste of alcohol because the taste is good and perhaps it gives you a little "buzz". But when the desire for alcohol becomes so great that it cause you to drink excessively and perhaps to do behaviors which endanger yourself and/or others. Then you might become aware that you cannot control your desire and addiction to alcohol. It is not your fault that you are an alcoholic however you are responsible for any negative behavior while you are under the influence of alcohol.
Journey
Is it your fault for being an addict? No, absolutely not. I am an alcoholic (sober for 12 years now), so I'm an addict myself. There I was, slowly destroying my life, and I was being driven insane by the guilt of thinking it was my fault, and therefore I was scum. I mean, why didn't I JUST STOP? But I couldn't make that choice to stop even though I was horrified by what I was doing. When I finally got to rehab and began to learn more about what addiction was, it was like a huge weight melting from my shoulders. I learned about the origins and causes of addiction, and you know what? There are observable and measurable differences between the brains of addicts and non-addicts. Addiction is not a moral failing, and it's not your fault... it is a medical condition that is treatable. :)
CanadaHelpsTheWorld
January 2nd, 2015 10:48am
It is often personal choices we make that lead us down the road to becoming an addict but it is counter productive to blame ones self for becoming an addict. In my mind it does not matter if it is personal fault or not, only that steps are taken in the right direction to make the problem better.
ent
well it's not your fault technically as the thing you abuse has a addicting capability in it. but you're at fault if you enable this habit and not to anything about it .
NoNeedToFearHayleyIsHere
No it is not. Most of the time being an addict comes from a string of addictive DNA. You can't pick what your DNA is, therefor; you can't control whether of not you're an addict.
madisonhope
Not at all. Addiction is never on purpose, and I can't recall a case when an individual went into something planning to come out an addict. Addiction happens to the best of us, and it can be one of the hardest things to overcome, but that is NOT your fault.
farawayforever
Addictions are often coping mechanisms which help the addict deal with certain things in their life. With minimal support, addicts are left behind and blamed for their addictions. With enough support and help available to the addict, the addiction will decrease
mandamn30
I don't think so. Surely someone influenced to get into all this so no it is not your fault....
joyfulForest37
November 2nd, 2014 5:52am
definately not! various situtaions and experiences led to you being where you are today its what you do from here on in thats makes you
Anonymous
Yes and no :) If you realise you have a problem( what ever kind) and avoid to solve than it is.,BUT if you are asking , googling and thinking about it than you are on the right track and it is NOT. Things happen intentionally or spontaneously please don't beat you self over the past, i was there and it serves you no good. All you have is present , if you think everything is fine than great. But when you realise you have any problem or any situation is not serving you than its up to you to figure it out and beat it . Does it really matter ? fix the problem or enjoy it . Much love & good luck :)
wonderousSunshine52
no addiction is a disease that is curable. if you cure yourself and relapse then you must find better coping skills for your stress to become a stronger individual.
SeriousPanda
Of course it's not. Being an addict is the result of experiences and genetics, much like every psychological condition. The reasons that one can fall prey to drugs are endless and range from family problems and experiences to social acceptance and role. The drug user needs to feel accepted and supported in order to overcome his problem and after alot of effort, be back at his feet.
Extremeties
No, it is never your fault for being an addict, majority of the time addicts were pressured into doing drugs or simply taking alcohol.
Anonymous
It could be fault of much reasons, most common one i guess is having problems with your family, you could say that peobably on one put a gun in our head a say start being a addict but people use it to try and forget problems, a bad idea in my opinion, is better to try and keep going without using any kind of drugs, but not everyone thinks the same
Anonymous
No. it's not your fault for being an addict, you are never to blame for your actions to feel good by a substance or any bad behavior to addiction. makes you feel good, and feeling good isn't a bad thing, you're not responsible for having a good feeling while using these substances. If you like the taste and "Buzz" that's alright, if the feeling becomes to powerful where it's occurring in you life, and you can't control that and you desire to drink is okay. Its not your fault your'e an addict, but you are responsible for any illegal behavior under the sides of alcohol.
itsoktonotbeok1
no it is not your fault. you only wanted to get away and that was the only way you knew how don't blame yourself for making a mistake we all do we just have to find a way to make it better even if it will be hard for us.
Originalsky777
There's all types of reasons fall into addiction so it's not always your fault you become an addict as there's so many different types of addiction