My parent is an addict. Will I be one too?

Tim Van Rheenen, M.A., LMFT

I will work to help you get unstuck. Together we will apply methodologies that work to find freedom from trauma, sexually addictive behaviors, and relational problems.

LeoAndrew
My dad is an alcohol addict. But i'm not following his footstep just because I am his son. I have a greater willpower than him
Heretobeyourfriend
No of course not!!! I am also the child of an addict,but here I am years later. At one point I did struggle addiction, but I got help as soon as possible. Your parent being an addict just means it may be harder for you to avoid addictions but does not make you any less of a person:) Hope I helped! Much love -heretobeyourfriend
afriendcalledsiouxsie
not necessarily. there can be a genetic disposition for alcohol abuse, but i think genetic disposition for drug abuse is much less. most important for you is to be proactive about staying clean and sober. find out everything you can about addiction, and stay abstinent for all drugs and alcohol as much as possible, especially if you are an adolescent or young adult. knowing that you have addiction in your family is a great reason to seek out an alanon or narration group. these are the family and friend support groups for those who have alcoholism or drug abuse in their family. it will also be beneficial to keep tabs on your own emotional states. notice if you are feeling depressed, and do something about it, other than using drugs. find people who do not use. there are lots of them out there. let those people be your friends, and do everything in your power to discover things you can care about in life and ways to take good care of yourself.
Brettlstar
There is a good book called Families and how to survive them. By Robbin Skinner and John Clease. It discusses the rules families develop and how that affects us through our life.
SereneNights
You will never be anything you do not want to be. You are a strong person, always believe in yourself
SmilingUnicorn
Just because your parent is an addict, does not mean you'll be one too. You can use what you've gone through and witnessed for motivation, to make a better life for yourself.
Angel0309
Addiction can be hereditary, so if you do decide to try drugs or alcohol you may be at a greater risk of becoming addicted to those substances. However, in any case the best possible thing to do is to stay away from drugs and alcohol.
Anonymous
No. Although you may have some genetic coding for addiction (in other words, you may be more susceptible to addiction) this does not mean you will absolutely become an addict.
DevonT
No! Or yes. I don't know! But just because your parent is one, doesn't mean you will be too. The sins of the father do not damn the child.
SaraC13
No. There are genetic markers and I'm sure it's in the environment you're in but no. If you do not want to be an addict and do not drink or use those drugs than no.
MattsListening
While there are studies that show a predilection towards addiction based on genetics it is in no way a guarantee. The fact that the question is being asked shows awareness of a potential problem. With awareness the potential for prevention is very much increased. Stay strong, stay away from harmful addictive substances, and focus on productive things to keep you occupied. Remember that ultimately you are in charge of your own destiny.
Anonymous
Not necessarily. Addiction can come from having traumatic things happen to your or just because you enjoy doing drugs. Addiction is never set in stone and you can always break the habit.
Drummaboi
No I don't believe so. There are genetic markers which can influence a person, but it doesn't control a person to the point they become an addict. If you truly don't want to fall into the trap that is addiction than I see no reason why you can't persist beyond it.
professionalDreamer32
No! both my parents are addicts, and it's true that I have learned some very bad behaviors and coping skills from them. But by learning new ways of deal with life's problems (like what many of the articles in the resource area talk about!), I've been able to avoid that pitfall. I know many others who have as well. So I'd say you might have a higher chance of becoming an addict, but you can definitely avoid it.
heavenlySun21
My family has tons of addicts. My parents are some of those addicts. Science has shown that there are genetic predispositions to addiction but that doesn't mean that you are destined to become one. I spent a few years in my grandparents house and then a few years at another house. One side drank and the other did not..environment plays a big role in addiction, I think.
oceanblue44
Just because a parent or a family member is an addict does not men that you will become one. We all have the opportunity to choose our path! So no, if you choose to stay away from addictive substances then you will not become an addict! becoming an addict is affected by so many different aspects!
Anonymous
I hope not. My parents gamble, drink coca-cola, coffee and insist they're intelligent. Sounds dumb? Both have been nigh unreasonable. I only detest myself partly for traits of two.. The other two, I am adverse to, not only because it was a big deal and that it ruined them. Tested myself. On the contrary, my little sister has a casino card. Then again, she was always a gamer. She loves coffee, I don't. Before that, none of the grandparents have history. Dad's dad smokes, he doesn't. People are different. We're all guilty to get addicted to something, if that is instead your question. If you are that worried, don't touch it. If it's dangerous, you'll be better off anyway.
ClaireyMarie
Definitely not. Both of my parents were addicts, and I haven't touched any drug. I think from seeing my parents go down that path, it killed my curiosity about drugs all together. I have seen it in full force, and have never had any interest to do them myself. If you don't want to do drugs, you won't. Luckily it isn't genetic. :)
sarper
Thoughts like this are completely normal! It shows a mature level of mindfulness towards something that you might actually feel pulled to do (drink, do drugs, gamble, etc.). This does not mean you will be an addict by default, though. The best thing you can do is regularly take stock in how you're thinking and feeling, and make choices that are aligned with your intentions.
Softball900
November 2nd, 2015 4:33am
Not necessarily. Many people say that you turn out to be just like your parents, but that isn't always true at all. My best friend's mom grew up in a very abusive home and now she is one of the best mom's I know. She is like my second mother. She didn't grow up to be like her abusive parents. You don't have to follow in the footsteps of your parents. You might be wired to have a more addicting personality (someone who can easily become addicted to anything) but you just have to learn to control it.
Anonymous
Of course not! We are different people from our parents. You shoud take care of yourself and do things that will help you be a become a better person until you will not worry for becoming an addict.
iPray
As a child of an alcoholic father, I am not addicted to anything except helping others. Mind of manner, you have the power to stop the ripple effect of bonding in your family. Addiction is a rough word. Humans, we love to bond to anything that is near, but if we understand how much bonding to "bad" things is, we soon choose. To do, or not to do, and it is up to you. Do you want your children to bond to the good of this world or the difficulties like addiction?
Soldrew2015
There is a possibility. We learn things from what we see. The closer the relationship we have to a certain person, the higher the chance we tend to adapt their habit or behavior especially if is an outlet to release stress. However, this is something that is preventable. .
FeelsPuncher
My Dad Was heroin Addict, and im looking to join the police, the choice is yours friend, no one is bound by fate
Sisiphus
Addiction is not genetic, it is to do with life circumstances and how well you've learnt to cope with emotional pain. Life can be hard for the children of addicts but unless you learn the behaviour from them, there's no reason you should end up one too.
serenitynow04
Just because your parent is an addict doesn't mean you will be one. You make your choices and have the ability to choose a different outcome for yourself.
SkyeLilyxox
Absolutely not! You are your own person. You make your own choices in life. I think the very fact that this is something you are worried about happening, shows that you are very strong & thoughtful. Take the path that you feel is right for you & have faith in yourself.
bestEmbrace20
I know a lot of people who are not addicts even though both their parents are. I think that sometimes seeing first hand what being an addict is like is enough to make you never want to be like that.
Lotus48
Not necessarily, but as children we learn by observation, therefore; there is an higher chance of being an addict verses a parent that does not use drugs.
Anonymous
depends on your mindset. you become who you believe you are. so focus on your dreams. you can be and do anything you put your mind to, so choose wisely ;)