Should I continue a relationship with my partner who is still abusing drugs if I am now recovered ?

Angela Serritella, LCSW , CADC

Mental Health is a journey of learning to understand yourself, thoughts, and emotions. I feel that this is a journey that is best taken with support.

Exavier300
I am sorry to say this but no. With your partner being involved in drugs that tempation will always be there. You are recovering and forever will be. The easy access to drugs makes it easy for you to relapse.
MaryWyath
February 22nd, 2015 7:16am
You should if you love him/her, of course. Now that you're recovered, you can try to convince him/her to do the same and you will help him/her through giving the best support and tips.
KeepSmilingAlwyz
If you feel it will benefit & brings progress towards recovery, then yes. However, if you feel that continuing the relationship will bring you back to abusing drugs, then move yourself to a healthier environment.
Anonymous
I personally believe that this is not the best idea, though I do not know your situation fully. There is a possibility that you may feel the urge to start using again. For me, I didn't feel the urge to start, but I ended up resenting him for continuing to do it when I was around.
heavenlySun21
When my dad was in recovery, he had to change his whole lifestyle. he left behind old buddies that he used to do drugs with in fear that his desire to use would be triggered and that his disease would come out of remission. I don't give advice, but it is something to consider while in recovery.
BeanieWolfy
If you love the person, then yes. But you can ask the person not to do drugs in front of you or offer you any. You are so strong, you managed to quit, you can help your partner quit too, you can do it, i believe in you! Good Luck ^ ^
greenJOHN1971
Are you still happy in the relationship? Do you think that you may relapse since your partner is still using? There are a lot of questions that you need to think about, but the bottom line is you have to do what is right for you and your recovery. How do you feel about this?
HelpWisely
If you have already recovered then you owe it to yourself to avoid people who are still abusing drugs because they might influence or convince you to use drugs again. Creating a drug-free environment around you can help you to continue a beautiful life free from drugs.
iamdeepak
Yes you should but not for the romantic element of this relationship alone. Be that success story that will help him/her to quit doing drugs. Mentor him/her, suggest measures as to how to get rid of it and do put your example in his/her perspective. Lastly, make him/her realize how hurtful it is for you to concede to the fact that he/she is prefers substance drugs to your love. A drug most addictive in the most better way :)
Anonymous
Most people and literature will tell you absolutely not. They will also tell you no one is "recovered" as each day that you are faced with a trigger or old places, people, or things, you will have to fight for your recovery. Having said this, most will say how will you possibly avoid using if your are so close to someone who still is. What you need to ask yourself is WHO is more important. Choosing your partner may mean your recovery is in jeopardy.
Anonymous
It is a hard thing to do. However, if you have gotten sober and plan to stay that way a relationship with a user could put your sobriety in jeopardy. Being involved with someone who uses is difficult for many reasons. It is harder to be around them while they are high/coming down, you put yourself at a risk to get mixed up and possibly arrested, you also put yourself in a situation where relapse rates are high. Sometimes it is hard to do what is right for us, because we have a want to help the user, but you have to help yourself first.
gongoozlersoup19
This is your decision, but the relationship could be a hindrance to your recovery. The continual struggle of your partner could be triggering to you maintaining sobriety.
calmZebra60
I would say no. In the end the choice is up to you, but being around an active user will leave an addict with a perpetual feeling of emptiness. And recovering is always ongoing. One slip could send us down the wrong path again. Best of luck!