Why do I feel depressed when I'm not smoking weed?

Courtney Cline, MS in Psychology and MS in criminal Justice

I have 12 years exeperience in working with clients suffering from depression and substance abuse. I have worked with children and adults and believe in a holistic view.

electricHug43 - Expert in Alcohol/Drug Use
These are the few reason why you may feel that way: 1. You're an occasional smoker, when you're bored you smoke and you tend to smoke whenever you think you could doesn't matter if you need it or not. This can cause your dopamine level to differ. 2. You feel like you have nothing to do when you're off smoking because you're so used to smoking it ( like how people smoke cigarettes) . Don't worry all these are just temporary. You can try taking primrose vitamin pill to level your hormones again and hink of the times when you feel that you need to stop weed because it's causing you problems like weight problems, headaches, etc. It'll help to motivate you to not be depress :)
Pandette
August 3rd, 2015 12:08am
I can give you an answer based on my point of view. When I was going through depression, I used other sources to keep myself to not feel so depressed and even happy at times. Those would include a variety of drugs, one of them being marijuana. I was so accustomed to associating smoking pot with my happiness that whenever I wasn't smoking weed everything just went back to a depressive state. Through time, I eventually conducted "psychological experiments" on myself (Classical Conditioning). I was so conditioned to believe smoking pot was my source of happiness. Eventually, the desire faded and happiness comes naturally. Hope this helps! Sending lots of love and hugs your way!
Adesa - Expert in Alcohol/Drug Use
Depending if you a boy or girl and your family medical history, boys are more effected if they smoke weed before 21. A boys brain is at its most crucial developmental stage between 16 and 21! This is the years boys play with weed and too much alters the chemical balance in your brain . If there is a family history of bipolar or depression, it can bring on depression. It s known to contribute to schizophrenia in some as well. If depression is in your family, weed will leave you feeling low when you NOT HIGH on the drug. Too much weed, makes you feel tired taking away enthusiasm hence the lack of energy etc which contributes to feeling depressed. It causes more problems than just mental sadly, you tend to be physically less active in all areas of life eg personal regarding relationships and sport. If you have a family history of depression, Bipolar and or schizophrenia stay off weed as weed today is hydroponic which means it's more potent with chemicals added to it. It also stays in your DNA for 7 years.
Brittneym101
You feel depressed when you're not smoking weed because you are too reliant on this substance. You think you need it, but you don't. If you miss is that much you have to be consuming it a h3ck of a lot. You feel depressed because you feel like it's the only thing there to support you and something to make you feel better when you're down.
Anonymous
Weed can provide you with an escape, or distraction. It can give a calming effect or a sense of euphoria.
TheTripleS719
Weed releases endorphins and makes your metabolism faster. It naturally brings you up, and makes things seem less heavy.
Anonymous
Weed is a anti-depressant it helps people relax but in no way shape or form is it good for you. So that's the reason
Anonymous
You might have simply developed a psychological dependence to it. Kind of like a security blanket or a teddy bear.
Keyshawn82
I've dealt with this. I guess, I've built a mental dependence, and I think weed is the only thing that makes me happy. When I'm not high, I just want to get high to feel the stresses of my life being temporarily removed.
LatteJoy
I would say that you've become dependent on the weed to feel good. And therefore when you're not smoking, it's your brain craving that feeling that. Also, if you already have depression, you rely on weed when you're depressed, but now you're also needing it. It may have acted as an anti-depressant for you at first, but now it's doing the exact opposite. I hope you feel better very soon. Take care. ^_^
HelpWisely
That is natural, weed makes you forget your depression, it brings your mind into a different kind of state where you feel relaxed, calm and in the present moment. This is just a temporary chemical effect which will never last and when the effect goes away it brings back your original state of mind.
Nadeschat
Drugs can be used as a distraction, something to numb the physical and mental pain of certain situations. Feeling high can give you a sense of comfort falsifying the feeling of relief
TheIrrationalBuddhist20
When you smoke weed, your brain releases a lot of dopamine. It can end up exhausted the next day and have to have time before giving you more "happy" chemicals. St. John's Wart helped balance this for me!
friendlyDeer
December 3rd, 2017 5:25pm
If it's not your first time smoking weed, your probably experiencing a small "amotivational syndrome". Amotivational syndrome is a psychological condition caused by cannabis, associated with diminished inspiration to participate in activities. Cannabis tends to produce a downregulation of dopamine receptors a chemical produced by the brain which plays an important role in executive functions, motor control, motivation, arousal, reinforcement, and reward, which is why you might be experiencing depression. Smoking weed causes the exact opposite in excess which is why you experience the exact opposite when the effect leaves your body.
hibiscusbreeze
November 2nd, 2015 9:58am
I think a lot of people rely on various substances to make you feel better, but in my experience it is only ever a costly and temporary experience. When we go without any substances that our bodies and minds have become used of having we are going to feel withdrawal symptoms. The big trick is to learn to get happiness from doing safer and healthier things instead.
Game0ver
You may be suffering from chronic depression. There are a number of reasons you may be feeling this way. The best thing would be to explore reasons you might be feeling sad or depressed, perhaps by talking with a 7 Cups listener. Alternatively, if you cannot identify any reasons, or you begin to feel worse, you might consider seeing a therapist or psychiatrist.
Izak99
Being depressed isn't only the side effect of weed. You can be depressed without taking any substances, and it's completely normal for everyone to sometimes feel depressed. It might be due to issues in life you have and that you have a hard time dealing with, or it might be due to loss of a friend or basically almost anything can trigger a depression. The important thing is not to give up, and if you find yourself being depressed all the time, try talking to someone about it.
Licomysterious
Because you are trying to solve your depression by taking weed which is not a permanent solution. First solve why you are depressed.
Anonymous
Weed is a drug, and it alters your brain chemistry. In particular, the reuptake of certain neurotransmitters are blocked so your neurons are constantly being stimulated. Which is why smoking weed can be very awesome. However, lets take a step back and frame our thinking in another way. Pain killers have many different structures and thusly many different functions. Some pain killers act in the very same way weed does, blocking the reuptake of certain chemicals to reduce pain, inflammation and many other things. The claim I am trying to make is that doing a mind-altering drug takes you out of a sober view of the world. Relative to your feelings when sober, your feelings when altered are without a doubt going to be better. This lack of heightedned emotions/feelings could be why you feel depressed when not smoking. Be sure to be mindful that what your doing is arbitrary, doesn't matter if its drugs, gambling, sex addiction, or even drinking a glass of water at 3 AM it will bring feelings of elation, it is up to you know your body and find a sustainable path in this life.
Akira2
simple answer. you wont like to hear this but your probably addicted ( and yes, you can get addicted to weed !)
thantophobiaxo
It's a drug that calms the mind and makes things feel unreal and better. That's why most people find comfort in ut.
MyNameIsAustin
Cannabis affects everyone differently, and the way it affects you can change over time. Cannabis, like any other euphoric substance, can give us a false immediate satisfaction, that leaves us unsatisfied when we are sober. It's important to remember that using cannabis to self-medicate our mental health is a very bad idea; Depending on hundreds of different factors, you could very well end up making your mental health issues worse.
krishna9762
Smoking cause the mind to fall and give's an effect of an antidepressant medication. Addiction to smoking weed will cause this problems. best way to overcome this problem are by consulting a doctor and taking medication to overcome this addiction...
Mem14
Everybody has things they enjoy to relieve stress, and pick them up throughout the day. Sometimes when we experience challenging emotions, we might want to hold a bit tighter to our coping outlets - whether it be weed, coffee, etc. On another note, there is scientific evidence that weed can have psychologically addictive properties, and there is also emerging evidence of physically addictive properties. While it can be tempting to think of weed as harmless or non-addictive, it’s important to be aware of this, especially if weed is among your coping outlets of choice.
Stormbending
January 21st, 2018 5:14pm
Marijuana helps 'cloud' your mind and suppresses thoughts or feelings that we may have that we don't want to face or deal with just yet. However, hiding behind a joint wont deal with any of the problems you're facing. It may feel like a good resolution in the short term, however, in the long term, it's not going to help you overcome the issues that are causing the depression in the first place. Please consider refraining from smoking marijuana for a short period of time and seeing how you feel after a while away from it. If you feel you cannot cope with your life without marijuana, please consider seeking out professional help to help you come to terms with your depression and how best to deal with it.
Lilhelpy
Simply because weed makes us feel better and when person is not smoking they can feel sad because they dont make themselfs feel happy.
Anonymous
Smoking weed Releases certain chemicals in the brain that are associated with feeling good. When your not smoking weed your not enhancing those feel good feelings. My advice would be leave it alone and focus on something positive for yourself
heartofgold2001
Using weed often makes you numb to your problem and your feelings which can give you temporary happiness but using it long term can cause you more problems.
Kayaondra02
Weed alters your mind. It gives you a sense of numbness. It just makes things better to be around and to control. When you don’t smoke, you feel how you normally do. But when you do smoke, you feel different. Better.
enigmaticForever38
You might suffer from clinical depression, or you might think you need to smoke to be happy. Were you happy before you starting smoking?