Why should I stop drinking?

Hope Hadding, MSW, LCSW

I am a professional therapist with extensive experience working with various mental health disorders as well as sexual issues. I am supportive and non-judgmental.

Anonymous
Because it is not going to make you feel better. It is only hiding something that you know that is bothering you. And, by understanding what is bothering you, and working through your emotions, that is the only way you can /actually/ feel better.
Butterfly121
If drinking has had a negative affect on your life or your loved ones, quitting drinking will help you to become a better version of yourself, and allow you to have more meaningful relationships with the people you care about and who care about you.
Andrea677
First, let me tell you this; drinking spoils you. Everyone must have told you this. But when I say that drinking spoils you what I mean is that it eats you; from the inside. It takes away everything you have - every little joy, every person who means something to you - everything. And what you are finally left with is nothing - nothing but an empty shell of what you used to be. And if that isn't enough reason to give up drinking, I honestly don't know what else is.
sereneHoliday36
If you have to ask that question, you may have a problem with alcohol. You are the expert here; it's your life. You may be masking some pain that you do not want to face. You may be covering up some fear to don't want to confront. You may feel you need to drink in order to be the "life of the party". If you are drinking and you cannot control it, you may be in serious trouble mentally and physically. Experts don't function well when drunk...and you are the expert. Examine yourself and ask Why Do I Drink? The answers to that question may help you decide.
Anonymous
Because, drinking could cause you so many problems down the road. This is coming from a previous alcohol addict., and it's caused me so many problems. That's why I stopped (and good luck on recovering when/if you do
ListeningOak
You should stop drinking mainly for yourself. You will find that your drinking, whether you believe you have it under control affects your relationships with others, your relationship with loved ones and your relationship with yourself.
Dev28
Drinking is bad for your health. It ruins relationships. Drinking takes more from your life than you are getting from the bottle.
avamadueno22
February 1st, 2017 10:11pm
Depending on your age I'll answer for the two. Underage drinking: One, it's illegal and it's frowned upon family and friends because it's not good for your body, and you could possibly get an addiction and it'll cause bad things in the near future. Drinking when you're legal to: There are programs, people and helpful people and ways to help you stop your drinking addiction if one is started. You can find ways to cope with it and help yourself. You don't want to have any bad things for yourself physically or mentally. For both scenarios I'll add; this is something you should decide because you want this for you. I know there will be two kinds of people who will think you need help with it and others who say otherwise. Understand there are people out there who are willing to help you with this problem, and just know. it'll work and you'll get results if you chose to want to do this for you. Don't do something because someone thinks you need it because it might interfere with the actuality of you getting better or not.
SpecialShalom91
February 23rd, 2017 1:27pm
Drinking, if abused, can cause serious health problems and even death. It can also lead to alcoholism which can ruin one's life, reputation, destroy homes, and alter a person's mind to the extent that he may become violent and dangerous to others
roseMelody95
Ultimately the reason has to come from within you. Maybe instead of asking "why should I stop drinking" you could ask, "why do want to keep drinking?" There are clearly reasons why you are drinking, or you wouldn't do it; but if you are asking a question about stopping, that implies that you are aware that it either already has, or may in future, have negative consequences for you or those around you; unless you are able to drink in moderation. If you don't want to quit drinking, but would like help with reducing the harm you are doing, or need help with moderation, there are free organisations that can help with that. For example: HAMS: Harm Reduction for Alcohol (www.hams.cc) Sometimes, talking to someone in a setting like that can help you to decide if you feel it is in your best interest to continue drinking as you have been, or if you want to moderate your drinking, or if you want to stop drinking entirely. In the end it will be up to you what you decide to do.
Peter
Maybe, flip the question. Why do you think you should stop drinking? Does your drinking affect the people that you care about? Does your drinking get in the way of you doing the things you enjoy when your sober? Does your drinking affect your work? Does your drinking affect your health? Does your drinking affect your mental state? These are all questions to ask yourself. Think carefully about the answers and try to explore them. Think, and decide is they are reasons to try and stop your drinking. It can be hard to give up alcohol, but here on 7 Cups we are all here for you, to support you through this. We are here when you get that urge, any time any day. You have already taken a massive step by considering stopping, so take a moment to take pride in that. You are not alone, and I believe you can do this!
intoxicatedwriter
You should stop drinking because it has a bunch of after effects. Some effects include brain damage or harm to others and can lead to many difficult and stressful situations and sometimes alcohol can lead to diseases or even death especially if pregnant with a child such as fetus alcohol syndrome and more. But in the overrun if you are trying to drink many problems away it ends up creating more problems and can get into legal issues as well.
Anonymous
If drinking is a problem/addiction, then it could affect more then just your health. It could impact your future and current+future relationships. If it's not a problem and just like an occasional drink here and there, then enjoy it.
Anonymous
The only reason you should ever do anything is for yourself. You shouldn’t stop because of someone or something else, you should stop because of you. You shouldn’t stop drinking because of your job, you should stop drinking because you need this job. Your daughter hates you when you drink, you hate yourself when you make her uncomfortable-therefore you hate drinking.
calmZebra60
I won't give you reasons. The reasons to stop drinking should come from within. But if I were you, the biggest reason for me would be that I would hate to see me relationships and school fall apart because of my drinking.
serenePudding57
Is it becoming a problem for you ? Do you have cravings ? Can you go a day without thinking about it ? If you answer no to these question you cold quite possibly have a problem.
swanswan
Drinking in moderation is one thing, drinking in excess is a problem. Drinking in excess could cost people their lives or their families.
Humanlikeu
To present this question specificly to drinking I too must question you. Is drinking a problem or threat to yourself and others? The fact you sought out getting an opinion of another, leads to another question. What is your concern with drinking? Have others complained to you about this. More importantly, are you concerned about it?
eternalPup66
I have been sober and drug-free for almost 30 years now. Why did (should) I stop drinking? Because I realised that if I did not quit, that I would be dead by the end of the year. The morning after I hit rock bottom I called my dad and told him not to worry and that I was alright, his response was "are you, or are you just lying to us again"? That hit it home for me.
DragonEye
Drinking can cause a strain on your liver and eventually cause failure to major organs, or result in death. Drinking can also cause issues in your personal life - sometimes driving loved ones away. Drinking affects mental function, and alcohol is a depressant. A good reason to stop drinking is that alcohol can make you turn into someone that isn't you.
BeauRuse
Drinking has many adverse health and safety effects. Some health effects include damage to the liver and decreased lifespan. Safety effects include getting into an accident or being taken advantage of.
Azillion17
drinking is dangerous to health it can couse side effect on your brain etc ..it can also become a habbit while started so less drinking
connect2STR
The answer is simple. First question yourself. Why should you live happier and whom for? The same answer applies to the main question as well.
EmmaGraymd
Not only does drinking cause body, particularly liver damage. But heavy drinking can cause a physical dependence, which can lead to an emotional dependence as well. Alcohol addiction and withdrawals are not only miserable and scary, but dangerous as well! Alcohol and benzodiazepine withdrawal are both addictions that need a dr. Supervised detox, as these withdrawals can be fatal.
creativeSun38
For your own well being, U r the one who suffers physically due to this addiction, prone to health problems, then ur guilt worries u stop it at once, for ur family who like u a lot and are worried for u
heartofgold2001
Alcohol is a depressant so it can make you depressed and at times suicidal. It also has many negative health effects such as raising the risk of cancer and destroying your liver.
Happyjustlikethefutureyou
Because there are people who are there for you and drinking does not solve anything, so instead of drinking spend some quality time with people who care for you and try and understand how beautiful your world can be without alcohol.
lavenderCar4552
1. To save money, Drinking alcohol can be a very expensive pursuit or life choice. Depending on how much you drink, how frequently you drink and whether or not you are buying drinks at a bar or for home consumption, you can easily spend hundreds of dollars a month to feed your alcohol habit. 2. Repair Your Relationships, Abusing alcohol can have a devastating effect on relationships, especially the ones you consider the most important. If you are an occasional binge drinker your friends may get wary of the unfiltered behaviors that appear once your inhibition is removed. Or they may get tired of making sure you get home safely, or don’t asphyxiate on your own vomit. They may even get tired of the person you become when you drink if you say and do things that are hurtful. 3. Get Healthy, Alcohol abuse affects your heart, liver, and brain. Over time your heart muscles weaken and sag from the strain that alcohol places on it. A weakened heart cannot adequately pump the blood required to flow to other vital organs in the body; impeded blood flow can lead to varying types of chronic illness in addition to high blood pressure, blood clots, irregular heart beat, and stroke.
saintmccallister
Because often times, when we have to ask ourselves this question, we know it's coming from a guilty place.
Anonymous
May 23rd, 2018 7:32am
Because it seriously harms your mental and physical health. Drinking is a short term distraction for long term issues.