Why should I stop drinking?

Hope Hadding, MSW, LCSW

I am a professional therapist with extensive experience working with various mental health disorders as well as sexual issues. I am supportive and non-judgmental.

CouncillorDavies1989
Drinking is a hard choice to go ahead, In a personal prospective, its not the right medicine and I would recommend anyone to try an seek a therapist. Its not always okay to drink, but to have the right support helps people for the future and gives the individual support and therapy. Breaking out and accepting the support is a major step, and gives you certain control on what you can do. Speak to a member of your family or who ever is close to you. Ask them for there supportive guidance and so you feel your not alone.
0verTheRainbow
Reasons for quitting drinking are highly individualized. The more relatable the reasons, the more impact they may have on your decision to quit or continue. If you are questioning if you should stop drinking perhaps there are important reasons already in mind. It can also be helpful to create a list. Common reasons may include health, money/expense, legal or personal consequences, etc. If you have anyone close enough whom you trust, they may be able to give you additional insight or raise concerns that weren't previously considered. Counselors, doctors, and recovery groups are also great resources to help explore the possible benefits of quitting and consequences of drinking.
walkingpresent
I personally think that moderate drinking is fine for now and then, even though I only drink 3 to 4 times a year because I'm aiming for physical goals. Let me tell you why you should not drink excessively instead. Okay, let me tell you something that you already know. Alcohol slows down your fat-burning rate in your body even to the point it stops completely. Because although we recognize the alcohol as the "fun-party-drink" our body sees alcohol as a mere poison. When you drink, the body will move their focus on removing this poison out of your body, that is why all other department that needs a lot of energy to work properly like the brain will have a temporary drop on its performance resulting in immoral behaviors and thought patterns in your end. Because the body is working hard to remove this poison, even during your sleep where the body suppose to repair your body (Muscles, organs, hormone chemicals to strengthen your immune system) They don't have the time to do so because they are making this poison removal a priority. Resulting you on this so called "Hangover" where you feel like you didn't get enough sleep even when you slept for 10 hours, because technically you didn't sleep that much. And as you may already know, when you are sleep-deprived it affects the whole day. Your moods will jump all over the place, your stress hormone spikes up, resulting in weight gain, weak immune system, high blood pressure and so on. Yes it affects how you interact with people, therefore your relationships Yes, it will affect your productivity and work performance. Yes, it will affect and change everything in your life.
exquisiteSea58
There are lots of reasons why you might want to stop drinking alcohol. Some people need to stop drinking as a result of developing an alcohol related medical condition such as liver disease, or because they start taking medication which reacts badly with alcohol. Others choose to do so for religious reasons, or simply as a move towards a healthier lifestyle If you want to stop drinking alcohol as part of a move towards a healthier lifestyle, cutting down on the amount of alcohol you drink as opposed to giving up alcohol completely can help bring lots of health benefits, and can be easier to stick to. Reducing the amount you drink can also be an effective stepping stone to giving up alcohol completely in the future.
kindHeart1309
Alcohol gets broken down in your liver, funnily enough, with heavy consumption, your liver becomes overworked which can result in numerous health complications. By simply giving up the alcohol it provides one less thing your body needs to worry about to keep you feeling healthy and fresh. Alcohol is linked to seven different types of cancer including breast cancer and mouth cancer. Cutting alcohol out lowers your risk of getting cancer. Giving up drinking will have a big impact on your liver and should reduce the chances of developing liver disease. As the calories in alcohol can cause you to gain weight, giving up alcohol can also help you to reduce your blood pressure as a result of the weight you can potentially lose. By this point, if you'd previously been drinking six 175ml glasses of wine a week, you would have lost 2880 calories over three weeks.
CaringHeart0921
Drinking has an effect an all aspects of our life, whether we notice or not. From my experience, becoming sober caused me to gain better control of my life and my emotions. I have not had a blackout, hangover, or used alcohol as an excuse for anything since I quit. I own my actions and my decisions. I have clarity around what I want in life, friendships, etc. And I'm better at speaking up now too. No more drowning in alcohol to cope with stuff, using healthy alternatives like actually processing emotions and "why" you need alcohol after a hard day's work or when someone upsets you, and always getting a good night's sleep. Everyone is different but I would highly recommend giving up alcohol if possible.
generousTurtle9108
One way to consider this answer is to look at what are the goals and values you have in your life. Then, consider as objectively as possible, how drinking has impacted your goals or values. For example, if you value meaningful close and honest relationships, consider how the drinking may or may not have impacted your relationship with others. It may also be helpful to consider if the drinking is used as tool to distance or distract from emotions that are painful, in which case you may want to consider whether addressing and welcoming those emotions may also help you either achieve your goals or preserve and nourish your values. Often, if you can be in a place where your behavior, are aligned with your goals and values in a meaningful way, you might reach the answer on your own.
Anonymous
Drinking is not necessarily a bad thing. If it is interfering with the good things in your life perhaps that is a signal that something needs to be changed, which could include why you are drinking or how much you are drinking. For instance, if your health is suffering that is a good reason to stop drinking. If it is interfering with your personal relationship that also may be another reason why you could stop drinking. There are plenty reasons to stop drinking and each individual has their own reasons. Only you can tell what your reason to stop drinking may be.
JadeLC
While recreational drinking can be alright in moderation, once we abuse the activity in an effort to cope with our own struggles, it can become harmful to our mind and body. For those with addiction problems, becoming sober is a great path towards healing. If you are relying on alcohol in an unhealthy way, it would be very beneficial to stop drinking and perhaps lean on friends/family/therapists for emotional support and guidance. Once you find a way to address the triggers or underlying issues that are causing you to turn to drinking, you can use the proper coping strategies to heal in a healthy way.
4Runnning44AspiringJD
Man I could write a whole book about this as it relates to me. I don't want someone to read this and think that they should stop drinking. I have known that I need to abstain from drinking for probably about 13 years. I have been drinking for just a little more than that time. I could bore everyone with my drink-a-thon and then drug-a-thon, but really what I have found is that it is not about why should I stop drinking it is more why should I want to better my life? Drinking made me a person that lost everything from tangible things to the intangible things that I took so long to gain. I realized this too late to save my old relationship as she was the one that really made me look in the mirror and yet still used after. I finally decided to stop playing victim and take control of my life because drinking was helping me play victim and ultimately lose control of my life. I have had many more days of sobriety than not over the last five years however when times of drinking occur I lose everything that I gained from the previous period of sobriety. Concisely, drinking does not serve more rewards than risk for me at this point in my life, and because of that the decision was ultimately made for me and haven't had a desire to drink since. That doesn't mean I don't think about it from time to time, but it does not control me like it once did.
HelloImHereToListenHowCanIHelp
There are many reasons to stop drinking. For me, I realized whenever I was getting drunk, I was making a fool of myself. When I woke up the next morning, I would feel good because everything was off my chest, but everyone around me was walking on eggshells, and I wasn't making lasting friendships. Drunk me loved attention and was selfish and didn't take other people into consideration. I realized that this was not the person I wanted to be known for being. I wanted to be a good friend, and a good role model. In addition, I realized, sometimes, I had to drink to feel like myself, and when I was completely sober, I felt in complete. I knew that I either had to cut down my alcohol intake or I would become dependent. The alc was also making me gain weight, which made me feel even worse about myself. Think about how your can become the person you want to be and the small steps you can take to become closer to that person, rather than thnking you will never be perfect and then drinking to escape reality.
graceyrae12
To better your health & family life. Drinking effects you in many ways, you will improve your quality of life. It may be hard but I know that you can strive. You will be able to make the choice to stop drinking, sometimes it gets a little too much and you think a drink will help, but it may just make things worse in the long run. Sometimes it’s hard but I know it will all get better soon. I’ve seen drinking personally effect people, but I know it will all be okay. I think everything will be okay. Just hold on
calmWaterfall3619
If I stop drinking I will sleep better. And by stopping I'll force myself to find alternate solutions for being tired or having low energy. I have to remember that drinking doesn't really offer anything valuable. Sleeping offers value. When I drink I never sleep well. Also by not relying on drinking as my go to pick me up I'll have to face my physical discomforts as well as my uncomfortable thoughts and feelings and depend on natural remedies like breathing, meditating and taking walks. I have to remember that it's ok to feel blah. Just roll with it, and get a good nights sleep and the next day I should be good!
AIRNSWCULA
First thing to quit drinking is that you will save so much money. Have you ever thought how much money you spend when you go out drinking? It adds up on your monthly income. Another reason to quit drinking is that you will have more energy. The impact heavy drinking has on you for the rest of the day and week takes a lot of energy. If you can wake up on time and be in control of your body, you will find your energy begins to sky rocket as it's allowed to function how it should. Another reason is that you will not feel guilty anymore.
Anonymous
What are some of the benefits that you feel like would come from stopping drinking? Is there any reason why you are considering reasons to stop drinking? One of the biggest reasons may be because you want to? If that is the case, then it could be worth it to look at why you want to quit drinking and the benefits that it has for you! Sometimes, making a pros/cons list can help brainstorm solutions to questions posed such as this one. Every individual has their own reasons for quitting drinking, however, the most important reasons are going to be your own.