Will drugs make my problems go away?

Beth Pausic, Psy.D

I work collaboratively with people to foster strengths in order to transform their behavior so that they live a life that feels purposeful and values-driven.

Ej
Drugs are a temporary solution, and I use the word "solution" loosely. If you do not build a way to cope mentally with problems you're facing, then the drugs become your scapegoat. If drugs become your scapegoat, the drugs themselves will become a problem. This method will not make your problems go away; if anything, it'll increase the amount of problems you're facing.
KendallNichole
No, in my opinion drugs only add on to the problems. If you have problems, it's better to face them and solve them rather than run away or hide from them using drugs. You're always stronger than you think!
Nico312
I've had a long history of opiate and benzodiazepine addiction, so my answer is probably going to be quite frank. Short-term: yes. Absolutely. Long-term: nope. I was more of a casual opiate user than anything. My main problem were benzodiazepines. I'm an anxious person; I am a terrible sleeper. With a bit of internet research, bam: benzos seemed like the perfect drug for me. I could pop a short-acting benzodiazepine before I go to bed, and I'd sleep like a baby. Wake up fresh the next morning with some leftover anxiolytic effect and get on with my life. Then I started to see the other benefit of benzodiazepines - they relieve anxiety. I started to use them before going out, because I'm not brilliant at talking to new people. I used to use them before university presentations. Sometimes I'd use them when I was bored and home alone, so I could pop a film in and get cozy under the covers of my bed, and fall asleep after. My descent into benzodiazepine addiction wasn't a slow one. Similarly to opiates, tolerance to benzodiazepines builds very quickly. Soon I wasn't just popping 1 clonazepam pill. I was popping 2. Then 3. At my worst, I could pop about 6-7 pills and still feel slightly wobbly but not enough to conk me out. I started to take them more frequently. Bearing in mind they still worked like a charm as long as I dosed it right, but I'd gone from a casual benzo user (once a weekend) to every other day, to every single day. I realised this pretty quickly, and decided that I needed to stop. I didn't really seek any counselling - I just stopped taking the benzos cold turkey. For 4 days I didn't sleep. I had shivers, "electric zaps" in my brain (that's how it felt). I was at my parents' house for this period of time, and my mum thought I'd come down with the flu or something. I looked pretty ill. Worse was the rebound anxiety at the loss of the drug: after becoming so accustomed to taking it everyday, and feeling on top of the world, NOT taking the drug made me feel awful. I felt even worse than I initially did. The thing about mental health is that drugs never really "make the problems go away". Our brain's made of networks of neurons, firing neurotransmitters around. Every neurological drug interferes with these chemical pathways in our brain. Mental health issues are not a rash, or a cold, or a sore throat -- things that will "go away" in time, or with a bit of cream or some paracetamol. Mental health issues are rooted deep in our brain. Sites like "FRANK" are good. But sometimes I think they are a bit too heavy on the "scare tactics" front. I'm just trying to be honest. Benzodiazepines are prescribed because medically, they are very useful for short-term use of relieving anxiety attacks. But not once in a consultation would a GP simply say "take these drugs and you'll be fine". There's a whole host of other options - adjuvant therapies - such as CBT, exercise, counselling - that should be considered, to aid in helping the problems go away. Drugs themselves are not inherently bad; they are, inherently, chemicals. It is the way one utilises such chemicals that becomes harmful. Dependence and addiction are the real problems - and you may find that in depending on drugs, you are creating a whole host of new problems on top of pre-existing ones.
BonhamLives
I would say no in my experience. I recently quit smoking weed because, although it helped me with depression for the first 8 or so months of doing it, after that my depression got exponentially worse.
Anonymous
Drugs may seem to help, and very well may help you cope with stressors and tough problems in life. But drugs do not address the root of your issues. They make make them seem to go away in the short term, but the problems will persist if you do not adress them directly, and not solely with the use of drugs.
OnlineLion
I used to think that drugs were the answer to all my problems. The day to day stresses of life became more and more difficult to deal with without them. What I didn't realise, was that deep down I knew that they were hurting me. I knew that my life was heading towards a point where they would take over. But I wasn't strong enough to overcome them by myself. So I made a choice... to ask for help. I opened up to those that I loved and I took back control. Drugs steal your ability to think clearly... to deal with your problems rationally. They don't make your problems go away... they make you forget them for awhile. but make no mistake, they are still there, and growing as you ignore them. You have the power to be the best possible version of yourself and if you are reading this... it means you are on the right path to reaching out and getting the help you need. You can take back control. I believe in you...
Anonymous
No drugs don't make your problems go away, you may believe you can smoke and drink your worries away but all it does is numb them. It does not remove the stigma, it just covers it for a short period of time. And the more you take the deeper your going to dig a whole and the harder it's going to be to get out off.
Makayla124
No. Doing drugs only adds another issue. You have to struggle with withdraw and judgement and addiction. So no, it doesn't fix issues because it is a huge issue itself.
VirginiaMountains
From personal experience I can say that while drugs can make problems appear to be non-existent in the moment, that only lasts as long as the high does. When you come down, you will be right back at where you where before you took that pill, drank that beer, shot that dope or smoked that joint. While some drugs can be used to find insight, its important to recognize that those insights are still ultimately your choice to respond to. Eventually, even if you can gain the ability to find insight from illicit drug use, the legal, personal or health effects will outweigh the benefits that you could have achieved sober, or using medical or mild drugs(caffeine, herbal etc.).
rayofhope11
Drugs will never make your problems go away, it may mask what you are currently and going through but in the end you will just end up with a new problem. Getting help is always better then turning to drugs.
RachxTheLight
Although drugs leave a temporary good feeling, it does NOT make problems go away. It actually adds on to it! If you are looking for a way to cope with these problems, I would suggest finding something you enjoy to do, and do it! Anything that can relax you will be a good way to cope. If you are still struggling, come talk to one of the Listeners or seek for help from outside sources such as a therapist.
Here2HelpUHey
Of course not, drugs are never the answer to anything, look for help and talk to someone about it. Remember a lot of people care for you and doing drugs may hurt those people. Remember you're special you don't need these thing to be a better person.
Spiderman93
I can tell you from experience, drugs will only mask the problems for a while, but they may also cause many more. With drugs comes addiction and many health risks. Dont resort to drugs. They are NOT worth it.
blackCupcake28
December 2nd, 2014 5:17am
Doing drugs is never the answer. The only way your problems will go away is if you find a way to work through them.
Siouxsie
No. They will only mask them and bury them. And underneath all that numb, your problems will grow and fester and eventually explode.
Anonymous
Certainly not. Drugs might lead to more serious problems. Seek professional help if you can. It will most likely help you overcome any uncertainty or worries you are having.
KurtJP223
No, drugs will not make your problems go away, chances are that there will be a legal format in the form of medication that will help you a lot more.
Anonymous
Drugs will help you keep away from your problems temporarily. But in the end you have to face them and solve them. Plus drugs would badly affect your health.
flotsam
June 22nd, 2015 12:27am
For the time the drug is taking effect, yes. But the problem will still be there and will likely seem bigger and more difficult to manage each time it comes back. Certain drugs can help alleviate overwhelming anxiety or depression, or can be useful for psychological exploration in a safe setting, but the only way to solve problems is to look at them with a clear and open mind.
kenziemae97
Drugs will make you feel as though your problems have gone away. But as soon as you sober up you realize they haven't and then continue to use them as a way to escape them This is often how addiction starts.
Brittneym101 - Expert in Alcohol/Drug Use
Only you can make your problems go away. Drugs isn't going to make them go away it's just going to make everything worse. Try talking to someone that you can trust, like a friend or a family member. Maybe even someone here on 7 cups of tea. Take long walks. Do whatever you feel is necessary to make those issues disappear, but drugs will never be the solution. It's only going to create more problems.
marriahromano
Drugs will help you forget your problems for a while but no, they will only create new ones.
Scottlad
Nothing will make your problem go away, apart from dealing with the problem, or in some cases ignoring the problem. I am not telling anyone to do drugs but they can be fun as long as they are being done with the respect they deserve. And a bit of fun now and again can take away from of the pressure of the problems.
Anonymous
No drugs will make them worse. Look inwards, and be strong. You have all it takes to solve your problems
SkyeLilyxox
Drugs are a temporary solution. But they can , & more times than not, also make problems worse. A LOT WORSE! You need to face you troubles & fears head on, instead of pushing them under the rug. Speak with your doctor. They will be able to put you in touch with people who can help. Share how you are feeling with a trusted family member or friend. Surround yourself with those you love & that love you. There is always someone here at 7 cups ready to listen to you.
Anonymous
drugs only mask reality and all the problems that it holds, it does not make them go away. sure, it makes them seem as if they don't exist anymore, but it doesn't get rid of them. only you can do that ;)
Anonymous
Only a doctor can properly answer that for you. If you are one 100% honest and open with your family doctor / physician they will then be able to tell you if that drug is suitable in regards to your personal situation. In my humble opinion, before you introduce ANY sort of foreign drug (illicit or not), seek the advice of a local health care professional.
Anonymous
No, it will make them bigger in the long run. It might make you feel like it will make them go away but it will come back around.