A family member thinks I am lying about where I am going but I'm not, what should I do?

Collin McShirley, LMFT

I love helping people overcome challenges with food, depression, and anxiety. My work with clients is nonjudgement, supportive, and kind.

freshFriend18
Just be honest but don't compromise your own integrity - if you know your being good don't let it be your bitch - be honest, transparent and they will eventually see you are honest person and can be trusted.
Anonymous
Ask them why they think that and allow them to go with you one time to see for themselves that you are going where you say.
SnippyKat
Ask them to please trust you, and you promise that you aren't lying to them. They should believe you. I have no other advice. If they won't trust you at this point you'll have to show them.
Anonymous
Tell them that they are wrong and that you are going a specific place and if they are the boss ask them if they do not want you to go.
Anonymous
Have you explained to your family member that you are not lying and is there anyone else with you that can back up what you are saying?
lovingLynx89
Could I ask why do you feel that they are lying about where you are going ? sometimes we think something is happening but it may not be this way. It may be our own perception.
Anonymous
I would often lie to my mom about things but it was mostly because I was afraid of her reaction. She found out about it several times and it caused her not to trust me, which is understandable. Telling your family member straight up and if they don't believe you, that shouldn't be something you worry yourself with. When they realize you weren't lying, they'll grow to trust you again. These things take time.
royalBerry27
I would write a note to the family member or talk to them. And tell them how you feel. And journal about your feelings and what you want to get out of the conversation. I hope that helps.
Anonymous
Earn their trust by proving to them that you are telling the truth. Let them talk to others who are at that particular destination, perhaps take them with you, create proof like videos, photos or phone calls and let them know they can trust you.
ListeningBunny22
It's something that occurs in all families. Whomever is just being protective, trying to shake you to hear if with time your going out story changes. If you're being truthful, then you have no worries
MissMonMon
Perhaps take a selfie of where you are as proof. Even on snapchat you have the option of putting on a time filter to show exactly where and when you are some place. If not, you could provide your parents with a friends contact which they can call just to make sure. Or get them to call you and they can speak to a friend who can verify your whereabouts. The best thing to do is not to get angry and just say calmly where you are going.
trashcat
I guess there is no other way then tell them over and over again that you are not lying. Maybe you can take some photos and send or show them to them so they believe you.
auditrice
Try to ask them why they feel that way, may be there is a reason and u may be able to clear the misunderstanding
Anonymous
You need to show your family member that you are responsible and trustworthy! If they allow you to go they'll see that you aren't betraying their trust or being deceitful.
NoMasDepresion
talk sincerely with that person and show him that can trust you whenever you go, or take a picture and send him
professional0910
If you haven't done anything to deserve the distrust, ignore. Else, ensure they know (GPS/check in/staying available and informing once you reach)
muppetnz
September 2nd, 2016 2:06am
You could show them, take them with you as proof. Maybe spend time with them too, the problem might not be that they don't believe you but they are jealous and what to spend time with you too.
nlpinspiration
Maybe the best approach is to start a dialog wit the member what are the reasons for not believing you. After that you will be clear what kind of behavior
Anonymous
Once you go out take him or her with you and let him or her trust you If he or she trusts you it will be solved
luminousPeace19
Relate him/her with that place you're going. Like I'm going near X, there is a pastry shop near X. Do you want me to bring some for you?
Anonymous
It sounds like it could be time to sit down and talk with them about why do they think you are lying and why do they not trust you.
Hoperay97
Well, you could use an app called Life 360 that connects your family to your location to slow then that you aren't lying, or you could talk to them about how you really aren't lying or try to gauge out why they think you are lying and work on those areas instead :) I hope this helped ^^
radiantMoment33
Tell them to trust you,that you've grown up and deserve there trust, tell them you have your phone on you and they can check up on you at any point.
Anonymous
Talk to them with the truth, ask them why they think you are lying. Keep being truthful and they will understand.
Harmonybasingstoke
Try and have a conversation with them as to why they don't trust you. Also, you could give them the phone number of where you are going and/agree a to be back and stick to that time.
Anonymous
Try to talk to them about why they feel that way. Have you done something unintentionally which in turn made your family think of you that way? Talking about it first always helps. If it doesn't work, take them along with you to prove it.
Anonymous
Parent trust is a big issue one thing you could do is have some one they trust go with you and pick you up. Also some phones have the choice were you can let them see where you are for a limited time. Hope this helps
braveTouch10
You should tell politely.answer to every questions what ever he/she wants to know.don't be rude .and if possible show some information that can made him to believe you.
Bandaids
If you can invite them to come with you, do! If it's not cool for your family member to come along try bringing them back something from there or talking to them about it in a friendly way. Be careful not to seem passive aggressive and try to understand they are probably looking out for you.
Joyce1030
If your not lying you have nothing to worry about. Just go along with your day. They obviously have trust issues. Is there anything you can do to make them trust you? Have you done someting in the past to make them mistrust you?