A family member thinks I am lying about where I am going but I'm not, what should I do?

Collin McShirley, LMFT

I love helping people overcome challenges with food, depression, and anxiety. My work with clients is nonjudgement, supportive, and kind.

Roishere
We live in a day and age where it's easily accessible for people to know where you are and what you're doing. Simply snap a selfie or do a live video call of you whenever you are at the time. It's that easy.
GivingstonTreegull
How important is it that they believe you? Will there be consequences if they believe you are lying? If not I wouldn't worry about. If you know you are being honest and they refuse to believe you there is little you can do to change their mind other than physically prove them wrong. Just hold tight and stay honest. Eventually it should sort itself out. Maybe try holding a family meeting and putting the situation out there on table for discussion, in the open air. Either way keep your head up!
caishrenee
You should sit down with whoever thinks you are lying and try to reassure them that you are not lying. If this still doesn't help, then you could both sit down and come up with some ideas with which you will both feel comfortable knowing that you are one hundred percent going where you are going.
DaveMcGrath
Sit down with them and give them facts as plainly and politely you can. Be open to the possibility that they might well be angry with you and be ready to keep your composure if they express themselves angrily. In general, I find with enough time, patience, and consistency that most people can be won over and convinced you are being truthful.
Alexander121
This used to happen to me a lot with my dad, ask them why they think this, and then try to combat that, remember that they are just scared for your safety :)
Anonymous
In the past, I have had this issue. In the end, I question why they don't believe me and try to understand them better to grasp what their foundation for their suspicions of me is. By then, it is easier for me to confront the family member because I don't take it personal as easily. What I mean to say is there is only peace of mind you can obtain from trying to understand these family members that don't have faith in you; there isn't always a clear cut way to reconcile differing perspectives.
BubbleGumKissxoxo
maybe ask your family member to clarify with your friends where you are going, also maybe they can take you to where you want to go to give that family member reassurance. The reason your family member probably thinks this is because there is a lot of cases in the news where children lie about where they are going and actually get hurt or killed. That family member is just worried about you.
Calmseas76
I would talk to them to find out why they did not trust me to try to resolve the issue, and if necessary, offer to let them track me via GPS on my phone or by a GPS tag. With nothing to hide, my openness may convince them, and if not, seeing my GPS data should.
Anonymous
you can convince them by sending your current location or ask someone in your family to get you to the place you want to go
naycopax
prove to them that you are not lying about where you are going and show them that you can be trusted
Anonymous
Be calm and tell them that you're being honest. Give them a reason to trust you. Talk to them calmly.
Harry53
If a family member thinks you are lying about where you are going that suggests a lack of trust between you and that family member. Trust can often take a long time to be restored, so it's important to keep that in mind. Until that is accomplished, it's crucial for you to always be honest and truthful. That's the best way to reestablish trust.
Anonymous
Be honest to them and ask them to trust you. Communication is key in any relationship. if they trust you,they'll understand.
WolvenEars90
November 22nd, 2017 6:01am
There are a number of things you can try: Take someone that your family member trusts to vouch for you on where you are going, take them with you, take photos of where you are, a video and a very detailed description of everything around as well as the time and what is going on, or just simply call them from time-to-time to let them know what you are doing.
Ladykerilyn71
November 22nd, 2017 6:16am
Your family member is worried your lying and needs to be reassured, try sitting down with them Eye to eye, face to face and asking then to trust you. Build the trust through communication
Anonymous
Show them proof about where you are going or rather a witness your family trusts. Don't worry, someone family members are overprotective like this. And once you show them the proof they will realize that they can trust you and hopefully, would no longer think that you are lying about anything.
Anonymous
Talk to him/her about it. Tell them how you feel. Sit them down and tell them that there wrong!!!!!!
LetMeHelpYouBecomeBetter
Prove that your telling the truth, take a picture, back back something, earn their trust.
Listener1995
Where do they think you are going? Maybe have a talk with them and if it’s safe tell them how you feel about the whole situation. If they still don’t believe you then theirs not much you can do apart from take pictures of where you are. However I feel like that’s very unhealthy to do
December 22nd, 2017 10:31pm
Leave a phone number, call when you get there. Try to establish trust where it was lost mainly by discussing the reasons for the loss of trust.
AlanAcam
December 22nd, 2017 11:02pm
Sit down with them and take the time to speak with them carefully and personally about it. If you show you're serious and you take the time to explain everything slowly it can help to convince them.
Anonymous
All you can do is be honest, that's their problem if they don't choose to believe you or not realistically..
lovelyWatermelon65
If it is important to you that they know where you are going then try to give them as many details as possible. Make it clear that you have a precise plan and that should make your previous statement more believable / clear.
SlowHealing
If I were you, I would share stories about the place I've been, take a picture or two and conversationally show them. There's no point taking it up with the person because they will think you're being defensive. Casually introduce them to proof a few times and they will automatically start believing you within a short period.
LeGrapethatListens
If you believe that they do not trust you, perhaps give them your location via your phone, or take a photo of the place you said you were going to go and prove you are there!:)
Anonymous
Stick to the truth. You don't have to explain anything to anyone else. You know the truth and that's all that matters. Personally I've had a few family members thinking that I was lying, I told them upfront where I was going, didn't think nothing of it after I was confronted; and eventually it came upon good terms. The Truth will set you free.
Anonymous
If it is that important, you can both enable a app so that they can constantly track your location. This way, when you go somewhere, they will see it.
helpfulhuman90
February 2nd, 2018 8:36am
I'd just tell the person that all I can do is tell the truth and if they don't, believe me, that's their prerogative. Don't let their opinions of you take control of your mind as you know that you are telling the truth.
Megan2603
Maybe you could find some way you could prove it to them? like maybe send them a picture of yourself in the place you told them you would be.
LandOfHopesx3
This shows their lack of trust towards you. The most important thing is regaining their trust. You should make them know you are not lying, maybe not just from telling them but even presenting the facts.