Are there any exercises or things I can do to calm my anxiety?

Romania

Maria Anisia Dascalescu Cocan, Ma

Therapy slogan : confidentiality, respect and professionalism!

avanef
Some say do to things that are normal or something you do a regular basis; tie your shoes, tie up your hair, drive around the block. Something that doesn't require much thinking and just natural instinct and all. But I'm not sure if it works, I don't deal with anxiety. But you can always look those things up as well. Good luck!
Laura1199
You can imagine anxiety as colors. You breathe in your favorite color and you get rid of your least favorite by breathing out. You can also count your breaths and I've found that cold air really helps because it calms down the beating of your heart.
Anonymous
Breathing exercises have always helped me a lot. The one I do the most is to breathe in through the nose slowly and hold my breath for around 4-5 seconds. Afterwards, I will breathe out slowly from my mouth. If a breathing exercise doesn't work. You can always try to think logically or ask for support from someone else. Logic is the the enemy of a lot of anxious situations.
KattPiper
My standard go to is the counting down from 100 (or 200 if it's bad) in sevens. It's just enough to get your mind out of panic mode and settle down a little. Another trick that a psychiatrist taught me is to press you tongue or a finger against the roof of your mouth right on the ridge behind your teeth. It activates a reflex that stops babies inhaling breastmilk, and automatically slows your pulse, and makes it impossible to hyperventilate.
GoldenFlames
Sure there are, there are plenty! Now, while I can't guarantee that the ones which work for me will also work for you, you just need to try until you find the best one(s). Breathing exercises, practice mindfulness, meditation and yoga, listenning to soft music, going to the gym to spend all your bad energy and get a boost of relaxation are all good exercises/things I can and do to calm my anxiety
ShadowMirge
There are a lot of different exercises that you can do. You can do breathing exercises, and even yoga to calm yourself down. It took different exercises for everybody to fight their anxiety. You can look for sample exercises on the Internet and find the one that suits you best
SarahInCanada
There are many ways people cope with anxiety, and help to calm down when they feel anxious or panicky. Everyone is different in terms of what works for them (what seems natural, calming, etc), but some ideas I've heard from others are: mindful breathing exercises, journaling about your anxiety, or light physical activity (yoga, walking, jogging, etc). Anything that makes you feel happy or calm - even if it's just being outside in nature, colouring or doodling, listening to music, or taking a bubble bath - can be helpful for some people experiencing anxiety :)
Anonymous
When I get nervous or want to keep my mind off of things, I do rigorous exercise. Sprinting or other HIIT activities will probably allow you to engage in the activity fully and not allow you to think about your day.
arctictrinity822
Breathing in for 10 seconds and out for ten seconds really helps me. Listening to music, doing yoga, taking a bath, or even just talking to someone about something happy can help you feel less anxious.
friendlyDreamer26
Listen to music or journal how you feel. This has helped me through the years. Music is my top helper and journaling is second.
specialMelody96
When I started university, I felt more anxious and stressed than I had ever felt. When I joined the counselling service, my counselor recommended I take up some form of exercise to help calm me! It felt like I tried everything. Going to the gym sent me into a panic attack, swimming made me feel too self-conscious and running around my neighborhood made me feel unsafe and concerned. That;'s when I decided to take up yoga. Yoga is something easily accessible to everybody that can be done in the safety of your own room. It helped me calm my breathing, feeling more connected to my own body, and get fitter and stronger. I highly recommend yoga to people with anxiety as it was a total game-changer for me in a very stressful period of my life.
AllieSunshine
Yes. You can ground yourself do an activity called 54321. You name five objects you can see , four you can feel , three that you hear , 2 that you smell and one that you like about yourself. You can also take deep breaths as well. A third thing you can do is go onto YouTube and look up guided relaxation videos for stress or anxiety , they help to get your mind out of what ever is making it anxious and also calms your whole body down. You also can reach out to family members and a therapist who may be able to provide further advice. I hope this helps you.