Can anxiety cause me to feel depressed?

336 Answers.
★ This question about Anxiety was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.
Anonymous

YES!!!! The feelings of depression can occur because anxiety has a tendency to crush our spirit and make us feel emotionally spent, also we begin to see no way out from the way we feel and have nothing to look forward to. I also went through depression with my anxiety and got caught in the cycle of being depressed because I was depressed.

Want to better understand yourself?

Take this emotional wellness test! Less than 2 minutes.
GlitteringCloud

I think that it can. If you are emotionally exhausted and feel anxiety building up you are more likely to look at things in a negative way which may contribute to depression. If you feel anxietly building up, please talk to a listener on 7 Cups.

ListenLady

Yes, especially if you don't understand what is happening to you. Anxiety can stop you doing things you normally would and it can make you scared to live your life, this can lead you to be depressed and feeling down. It does get better though a and just because you are feeling bad at the moment, it won't always be that way.

martinko

No, anxiety can't cause you to feel depressed. Anxiety is a feel of worry, nervousness and it has nothing to do with depression.

Anonymous
January 22nd, 2018 11:41am

Looking for answers on the internet...we've all been there. I just want you to know you don't have to figure this out on your own. I know this might not be something you want to discuss with your friends or family, but if you join this site you can get free, anonymous support from trained listeners and a huge support community. Nobody is here to judge.

kittykat

Most definitely! Anxiety can cause feelings of perfectionism - and, if perfectionism isn't achieved, feelings of failure or inadequacy. Anxiety can also cause you to be afraid of how you're perceived by people or anxious about your interactions with them, which in turn is an isolating feeling, which can make you feel depressed. Anxiety and depression often go hand-in-hand for these reasons. If you're depressed you lack the capability to be as productive as you want, which makes you anxious; if you're anxious you lack the capability to enjoy life as much as you want, which makes you depressed.

ESTEF

Anxiety and depression are closely related, anxiety is to much future while depression is too much past. Also, whenever you feel you don’t have the needed resources to cope with a situation you can feel anxious, if there is too much information and you don’t know how to react to it or the response you give is not enough to solve it you feel depressed.

Anonymous

Yes, very often, and it's kind of normal, under the circumstances. It's important to deal with anxiety before it grows into depression.

heyitssaf

Yes. Anxiety can cause depression because it can keep you from doing the things you want to do or the thing that could make you happy or complete. It can act as a form of bondage, and feeling trapped can absolutely cause depression.

Anonymous

I started having anxiety in the third grade, I started overthinking everything and that made me isolate myself at some point. Soon after, because of the isolation, I became depressed so I do think it's possible that anxiety can cause you to feel depressed.

Dovah

That's certainly a possibility! Depression can have loads of triggers, including anxiety! Anxiety can make us feel pretty low about ourselves in general, and social anxiety can even lead us to not socialise with people, which in turn again can lead to depression, sadly.

AuntieLili

Anxiety is a lower vibration. It is caused by not living in the present moment. Choosing to stay in this lower vibratory state will attract other lower vibratory states, depression being one of them. It comes from a sense of powerlessness and fear. I find it helpful to sit with the feeling and to inquire what triggered it. When I don't do this, it makes it difficult to increase to a more positive state. The choice to change begins in the mind.

Anonymous

From personal experience, anxiety came as a symptom of depression. But, from experiences of friends, anxiety caused them to feel isolated and alone, then causing depression.

seaweedprincess

From personal experience I've found anxiety has been a major trigger for my depression, especially panic attacks since they cause such an emotional breakdown I find often after a bad one I feel very depressed and negative about myself. I think a large part of this was due to how isolated I felt through my anxiety, it made me feel incapable of having relationships with people because I was just a burden on them and they wouldn't understand why I couldn't do the things they did in life since I was always held back from it. Just finding the right group of supportive people online or irl can really help you through those depressive spikes, it really helped me a lot and I for the first time I felt like I had a voice again.

shaylie64

Yes. It is not uncommon for people with anxiety to feel depression, and vice versa. It would actually be very unusual to find someone with anxiety that didn't have a little bit of depression.

TheComedyTragedy

Anxiety can be really debilitating. People often don't go out of the house a lot, don't see friends etc. with anxiety which can be a large onset to feeling depressed. It's quite normal.

0LovelyHaven0

It has happened to me through personal experience so I would have to say, yes, it can. Anxiety and depression can go hand to hand which is crappy.

ItsHannah

Yes, from personal experience, anxiety tends to weigh on a person, causing them to sometimes feel low, or not have much motivation, getting you to feel some depression.

Anonymous

Anxiety can definitely make you depressed, in my personal experience having anxiety made me depressed because I was so afraid to go out with friends that I was confined to my room and I got very stir crazy. So yes I do believe anxiety can cause depression.

thoughtfulSoul78

yes! it may cause situational depression, cause by a specific event or in this case the anxiety.

Anonymous

Anxiety can lead to depression. It can get you worked up about something minor and just fall into an abyss. The good news is, is that there are many people out there who can help you get through it; your family for starters. You can also refer to the 7cups anxiety help guide and of course an anxiety help line.

Asparagus515

Yes, definitely! Anxiety and depression often overlap. If your anxiety is preventing you from doing things that can cause you to feel depressed.

Anonymous

I think it can. I'm going through that right now, and I don't know if it's because of spring, because I have weather anxiety and when spring comes it spikes up, but I've been more prone to panic attacks and I've started to become pretty depressed. Yeah, I think it can happen.

DipityEnigma

Yes. Anxiety can cause a lot of life changing problems. If you used to be active outside all the time for example, going out with friends and family etc, then all of a sudden the anxiety kicks in and your friends stop talking to you because they think you dislike them and your family seem to think negatively of you, for example, then all of these things can take its toll especially if loneliness sets in. Anxiety and depression usually go hand in hand with each other eventually. It's not uncommon to have both, caused by one or the other.

Matcha

Yes. This is what happened to me. I've been a very anxious person: cautious and worried about what other people thought of me. When I went to college, I didn't feel like I was succeeding as well as I did in high school. I began to worry that I wasn't able to succeed. I became so anxious every time I had an assignment that sometimes I wasn't able to start doing them at all. Of course I started doing even worse after that, and since up until then I'd been placing my self worth in how many things I could do well, my self-esteem spiraled, and I became severely depressed. I knew I needed help, so I called my campus mental health organization and made an appointment. It took 4 weeks to be seen, and the first appointment didn't help at all. But I kept going, and I worked with my therapist until I felt confident and happy again.

neyzx

Yes! My anxiety feels like it will never end, that all my life I'll be anxious and it's something I can't live with. It's defenitely something that makes me feel depressed.

luna2490

I think being overwhelmed by any issue including anxiety can take weight on your mind and can cause depression in some.

Rainbow1980

Yes, it can. Because you are anxcious or scared it can bring you down. The depression is a result of the fear. You should try to find the source of your anxciety and if you can make that go away, your depression shuld be gone too.

Zora17

It can because anxiety can interfere a lot in a person's life and for a long time, making them feel hopeless and sad, leading to depression. Depression can also lead to anxiety as well as it can make a person worry how they are going to get everything done and live life when they're depressed. The two go hand in hand.

JenClover

Most defiantly , it feels like a heavy weight dragging on your shoulders that you just cant seem to shake off.

joxx

Anxiety can cause depression and depression can cause anxiety, but I think most people have both of it because it can be very similar depending on the type of depression you got and what leaded to it. Feel free to contact me if you wanna to x

janusheva

As you know anxiety and depression are not the same, but people with anxiety feel symptoms similar to depression like nervousness, irritability, non-concentrating problems and sleeping problems. It is not 100% sure that anxiety leads to depression, it depends on the degree of anxiety but many people suffer from the both disorders.

GraceWithTheRedVines5972
August 3rd, 2015 3:31am

Definitely. Anxiety can make you feel like you don't want to go out in public and socialize. After a while, you can start to feel alone and isolated and that's part of what depression is.

Anonymous

Yes, anxiety will make you not do somethings and also lots of people dont understand it, so you may feel alone and rejected

ListeningOak

Yes, anxiety and depression are often linked, one will often support the other and if you're feeling anxious it's reasonable that that will cause you to feel depressed.

NevaehLee

Yes!! Anxiety overrules everything happy in your life. You shut out people. Close yourself in. And beat yourself down. It builds up and you will feel so trapped and alone.

SilentLighthouse

Yes it can. Anxiety can cause fear of things in your life, it can also cause negative thoughts. Anxiety and fears caused by it can lead to people feeling withdrawn from what causes the anxiety, leading to isolation which can lead to depression, and more negative feelings.

LittleRed17

Anxiety and depression are both a result of an imbalance in the hormone serotonin. Too much serotonin can cause symptoms like heart palpitations and a faster heartbeat, which can induce anxiety. Too little serotonin, also known as the 'happy hormone' and you will start to develop the symptoms of depression. However, depression and anxiety often do go hand in hand, and it is incredibly common for people with anxiety to feel depressed and vice versa. Seeing your doctor can make a huge difference, as they may be able to prescribe anti-depressants like Sertraline which regulate your serotonin levels and within a few weeks will hopefully be making your life a little more manageable while you try and resolve the emotional issues that may be making you feel this way.

Anonymous

Absolutely. Having one of these symptoms can cause you to feel more symptoms from the other. It is a tricky thing to navigate.

PrincessBorderline

It most certainly cause you to feel depressed. Anxiety will leave you wide open, making it harder to cope with emotions and feelings that come along with it. It tends to frazzle you, and after a while can make you depressed, angry, and cause many other emotions. If left unchecked over long periods of time, it can really take a toll on you.

PashT007

Yes, anxiety is the leading cause of plenty other things and depression is one of them. One leads to the other.

fraunow85

Anxiety can produce intrusive thoughts similar to depression, and constant anxiety would or could present like depression, but depression has a bio-chemical basis, whereas anxiety is much harder to treat.

CastielsAngel305

Definitely. It can cause you to feel overwhelmed which can lead to hopelessness, stress, and depression

MostColorfulHello

certainly - just as depression can cause anxiety ('when will I feel better?', 'why do I feel so down'). anytime that you are concentrating or focusing on a negative future or present, anxiety is taking control and needs to be managed.

Anonymous

Yes! From personal experience, my anxiety led me to feel helpless and then wallow in self doubt and pity. What helped was realizing what factors I still have control over and then putting effort in those factors to overcome obstacles. If anything, you can always define how you react to your circumstances.

IllumineedyAF

Anxiety is a feeling of discomfort when facing certain situations in life. Anything that causes you not to feel comfortable can cause you to also feel sad, therefore yes. When people called me fat, I always felt self conscious and anxious when it came to Physical Education and we all had to change together..this led me to feeling very sad whenever I thought to myself I'll never end up like the thin, fit girls. If you need to talk more on this topic - feel free to pop up 💜

LockyAnKey

Depends really, I would say yes because anxiety can stop a person from doing what they love. Which could result in depression, it is good to talk to someone about how you feel.

Anonymous

Yes! Anxiety can cause alot of emotional symptoms and physical symptoms. It can cause dizziness, make your heart race, also trouble breathing, etc. But that doesn't mean everything you experience is from anxiety. Just listen to your body.

Anonymous

yes. Most mental disorders like anxiety lead to other mental disorders such as depression. this is because of the chemicals in your brain, so it is very common for this to happen.

dalya123

Yes, it can sometimes and depression leads you to have some suicidal behavior that would require a professional

Anonymous

Anxiety and depression , both serious mental illnesses , can both be interactive with each other , since they are both an imbalance in the brain chemicals...and on the long term , anxiety can change to MDD ( major depressive disorder ) or Dysthemia ( mild persistent depression ) .

LovingGamer

Yes. Anxiety can cause you to overthink things and become depressed, it is best to seek help for both.

Anonymous
March 23rd, 2016 5:31am

Yes anxiety can cause you to feel depressed if you are constantly worrying,anxious and stressed out.

Anonymous

Anxiety most definitely can cause depression to creep up on you. In fact it is one of the toughest..

Christina27

yes Anxiety can make you feel depressed from what i have experienced in my life . its is hard to to deal with but it is treatable.

Anonymous

yes it can, When you are just worrying all the time you just think what is the point of feeling like this all the time. It is not nice.

Wanderlust52

Yes, it can and this okay if it does, it's normal so do not feel afraid. My parents have caused me several anxiety attacks and because of this, I was always afraid to talk to them and even come home. This is why I joined sports in high school, well for half the reason. Because I could not talk to my parents, due to the fear of them judging me and causing more more attacks, I started to get depressed, thinking that it's sad that I cannot even talk to my own mom and dad about personal issues I was having.

Nelgatha7

Yes, Anxiety can easily cause you to feel depressed because it puts a huge amount of stress on you, eventually you feel like everything you're doing can/will fail and that'll eventually lead to you feeling worse and worse, it's a negative spiral, one that's hard to break.

Anonymous

Anxiety is the opposite of depression in my opinion and can lead to the other. At times they can also happen together or in concert.

Anonymous

It's possible especially if you feel like you can't do stuff you want to be able to do because of the anxiety. Depression and Anxiety are pretty closely related and if you have one you're more likely to get the other because of the chemicals in your brain.

Anonymous

Feeling like nobody cares about you. That life would not change for anyone else if you simply did not exist.

Recent Answers
Alysse001

Yes. Anxiety and depression may go hand in hand, but one may be more severe and occur more often than the other. Regardless of whether you may struggle with anxiety alone, or with depression, it is very important to receive help and learn what coping strategies work for you.

gentlePresence70

Yes anxiety can cause you to feel depressed. Anxiety and depression go hand-in-hand sometimes you have to be able to set yourself on a path to learn how to be able to deal with it so it doesn't get you down or you beat don't become anxious

Dawn04

Very much so. Anxiety can make you over worry and make you feel not good enough, which leads to depression.

Anonymous

It can. Sadly, it can. Anxiety does not automatically come with depression, and vice versa. But I, myself, have seen many cases where the individual was diagnosed with depression that occured from anxiety.

Anonymous

absolutely yes, it's one of the many "side effects" about anxiety. Try working out, that REALLY helps :) you have to overcome your anxiety so you can overcome you depression. Hope this helps!

Anonymous

Yes. Anxiety is often associated to depression and people who are diagnosed with depression often have anxiety, and vice-versa.

AndyArtsy21

Well, not all the times. I mean anxiety sometimes makes me feel sad but only if I don't overcome it. Basically the way I see anxiety and fear most of the times is that they're both brick walls that are set in front of us so that we have to to make an effort of willpower in order to break them so that we could be happy. So I believe that there are 2 options for approaching this brick wall: 1. You don't jump over/break it down and you start to feel sad or even depressed(based on the situation at hand) and 2. You make an effort of willpower to break it down/jump over it and when you leave the brick wall behind you, you start to feel a great sense of achievement and happiness because you've just done something that you weren't able to do in the past and the next time you are dealing it the situation that made you feel anxious, it's going to be a lot easier to deal with it, but you just gotta make that effort ;)

TheonetruZ

Any number of stressors can have an effect on depression. Anxiety is a larger emotion, so it has more impact on your mental health.

Anonymous

It could. Depression could also cause you to feel anxious. It depends, really, on why you think that, and what you're experiencing. You could be depressed because your anxiety keeps you from going out or seeing friends, or for other reasons.

Anonymous

Yes it could if it was severe. Since your anxiety cause you to have negative thoughts, it could one of the reasons that chase depression.

rainbug

Yes, anxiety can definitely lead to depression as it affects how you view yourself and your situation. It can cause hopelessness, and from that depression may stem.

lovingWhisper46

First of all, great question. Second of all there is no answer for that. Everyone is different. Some people can have anxiety and it can cause depression. Others can have depression that can cause anxiety. It all comes down to each individuals brain and how the chemicals balance out.

Anonymous

Yes, your anxiety can make you depressed, its just a general thing that most anxiety people get. to be safe make sure to get it checked

peacefulwaves24
March 23rd, 2016 11:22pm

It certainly can, and anxiety and depression tend to co-occur. Some clinical psychologists believe that anxiety and depression actually aren't too different from each other (they're co-morbid, they respond to the same treatment, and have similar etiologies).

keirashepherd123
March 23rd, 2016 8:30pm

I have experienced anxiety for 10 years now and i can make you feel depressed.Anxiety makes you feel bad leading onto depression. If you need help there is almost always someone on here who can talk to you. Or you can speak to someone you trust.

Anonymous
March 23rd, 2016 2:05am

for me, it did. i often felt that i wasn't good enough because of my anxiety. while i realize now that that isn't true, it is something that i really struggled with

Anonymous

I've heard people say anxiety and depression go hand in hand often. so its of course possible. and I think its more than logical why that happens, since anxiety may cause a person to cut themselves off from others.

timaeusTestified1203

Anxiety can be linked with depression. A common feature of anxiety and depression both is the self-beration (example: 'oh geez I'm so dumb I can't even take care of myself/I shouldn't have asked that question it's so obvious'). If you suffer from severe enough anxiety, it's entirely possible that depression might be linked.

skippingtones64

yes. It can be very overwhelming & start to make you feel hopeless,hurt, etc. making you depressed.

Anonymous

Yes! For me it did. I'd have anxiety about a certain situation, not want to participate due to that anxiety, and therefore would get depressed.

Anonymous

Yes, anxiety and depression go hand in hand but that doesn't mean that if you have one you have both

ClarionCall

In my experience, anxiety and depressive feelings are definitely interrelated. When I'm feeling very anxious, occasionally that can result in a shutting down of emotion. I think that in order to protect myself from anxiety, my brain stops me from feeling both positive and negative things. So I'll go into a funk for a few hours where I'm unable to feel excited about the future and I can't go to my "happy place" like I usually can when experiencing negative emotions.

ItsMichelle

Yes it can by normally for some people it is it also depends on the illness you had that can define if anxiety will cause depression or not.

Anonymous

Yes, anxiety can cause you to feel depressed. This is because it can reduce your self-worth and ability to live fully.

kindSong20

Yeah it can cause you to be depressed like give you feeling that something is wrong with you And you will be depressed that what will others think

sunflowersandsunshine47

Yes. Anxiety and depression are often referred to as "the twin sisters." This is because when you struggle with one, you will often experience the other

Anonymous

Sometimes, anxiety can make you feel depressed. During an anxiety attack, you may feel scared or helpless, and the person will want this to end, which will lead them to doing things they will regret.

supportiveSunshine57

Absolutely. Though I didn't know this, I had suffered from anxiety for years. When my anxiety became difficult to manage, I began getting depressed. There were days where I found it difficult to get out of bed in the morning.

MPuffin

Yes, anxiety can cause you to feel depressed. Many people who suffer from anxiety also suffer from depression as they are unable to go out and enjoy what they used to due to the fears they have. Anxiety and depression often go hand in hand.

ClaraIskald

Yes. Anxiety can make you feel so afraid that you won't be able to do anything without fear. Seeing yourself so numb may lead to depression and you can suffer from both simultaneously. However, you can overcome both of them as well.