Can anxiety cause me to feel depressed?

★ This question about Anxiety was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Lara Gregorio, LCSW

Therapist

I believe that depression can feel all-consuming. I have a real passion for helping my clients to reclaim their voices and lives from depressive thoughts.

luna2490
I think being overwhelmed by any issue including anxiety can take weight on your mind and can cause depression in some.
Rainbow1980
Yes, it can. Because you are anxcious or scared it can bring you down. The depression is a result of the fear. You should try to find the source of your anxciety and if you can make that go away, your depression shuld be gone too.
CastielsAngel305
Definitely. It can cause you to feel overwhelmed which can lead to hopelessness, stress, and depression
janusheva
As you know anxiety and depression are not the same, but people with anxiety feel symptoms similar to depression like nervousness, irritability, non-concentrating problems and sleeping problems. It is not 100% sure that anxiety leads to depression, it depends on the degree of anxiety but many people suffer from the both disorders.
IllumineedyAF
Anxiety is a feeling of discomfort when facing certain situations in life. Anything that causes you not to feel comfortable can cause you to also feel sad, therefore yes. When people called me fat, I always felt self conscious and anxious when it came to Physical Education and we all had to change together..this led me to feeling very sad whenever I thought to myself I'll never end up like the thin, fit girls. If you need to talk more on this topic - feel free to pop up 💜
GraceWithTheRedVines5972
August 3rd, 2015 3:31am
Definitely. Anxiety can make you feel like you don't want to go out in public and socialize. After a while, you can start to feel alone and isolated and that's part of what depression is.
Anonymous
Yes, anxiety will make you not do somethings and also lots of people dont understand it, so you may feel alone and rejected
Anonymous
Yes! Anxiety can cause alot of emotional symptoms and physical symptoms. It can cause dizziness, make your heart race, also trouble breathing, etc. But that doesn't mean everything you experience is from anxiety. Just listen to your body.
ListeningOak
Yes, anxiety and depression are often linked, one will often support the other and if you're feeling anxious it's reasonable that that will cause you to feel depressed.
NevaehLee
Yes!! Anxiety overrules everything happy in your life. You shut out people. Close yourself in. And beat yourself down. It builds up and you will feel so trapped and alone.
Anonymous
Absolutely. Having one of these symptoms can cause you to feel more symptoms from the other. It is a tricky thing to navigate.
PrincessBorderline
It most certainly cause you to feel depressed. Anxiety will leave you wide open, making it harder to cope with emotions and feelings that come along with it. It tends to frazzle you, and after a while can make you depressed, angry, and cause many other emotions. If left unchecked over long periods of time, it can really take a toll on you.
Anonymous
Anxiety is the opposite of depression in my opinion and can lead to the other. At times they can also happen together or in concert.
PashT007
Yes, anxiety is the leading cause of plenty other things and depression is one of them. One leads to the other.
fraunow85
Anxiety can produce intrusive thoughts similar to depression, and constant anxiety would or could present like depression, but depression has a bio-chemical basis, whereas anxiety is much harder to treat.
MostColorfulHello
certainly - just as depression can cause anxiety ('when will I feel better?', 'why do I feel so down'). anytime that you are concentrating or focusing on a negative future or present, anxiety is taking control and needs to be managed.
Anonymous
Yes! From personal experience, my anxiety led me to feel helpless and then wallow in self doubt and pity. What helped was realizing what factors I still have control over and then putting effort in those factors to overcome obstacles. If anything, you can always define how you react to your circumstances.
LockyAnKey
Depends really, I would say yes because anxiety can stop a person from doing what they love. Which could result in depression, it is good to talk to someone about how you feel.
Anonymous
yes. Most mental disorders like anxiety lead to other mental disorders such as depression. this is because of the chemicals in your brain, so it is very common for this to happen.
dalya123
Yes, it can sometimes and depression leads you to have some suicidal behavior that would require a professional
supportiveSunshine57
Absolutely. Though I didn't know this, I had suffered from anxiety for years. When my anxiety became difficult to manage, I began getting depressed. There were days where I found it difficult to get out of bed in the morning.
Anonymous
Anxiety and depression , both serious mental illnesses , can both be interactive with each other , since they are both an imbalance in the brain chemicals...and on the long term , anxiety can change to MDD ( major depressive disorder ) or Dysthemia ( mild persistent depression ) .
ClarionCall
In my experience, anxiety and depressive feelings are definitely interrelated. When I'm feeling very anxious, occasionally that can result in a shutting down of emotion. I think that in order to protect myself from anxiety, my brain stops me from feeling both positive and negative things. So I'll go into a funk for a few hours where I'm unable to feel excited about the future and I can't go to my "happy place" like I usually can when experiencing negative emotions.
LovingGamer
Yes. Anxiety can cause you to overthink things and become depressed, it is best to seek help for both.
Anonymous
March 23rd, 2016 5:31am
Yes anxiety can cause you to feel depressed if you are constantly worrying,anxious and stressed out.
Anonymous
Anxiety most definitely can cause depression to creep up on you. In fact it is one of the toughest..
Christina27
yes Anxiety can make you feel depressed from what i have experienced in my life . its is hard to to deal with but it is treatable.
Anonymous
yes it can, When you are just worrying all the time you just think what is the point of feeling like this all the time. It is not nice.
Wanderlust52
Yes, it can and this okay if it does, it's normal so do not feel afraid. My parents have caused me several anxiety attacks and because of this, I was always afraid to talk to them and even come home. This is why I joined sports in high school, well for half the reason. Because I could not talk to my parents, due to the fear of them judging me and causing more more attacks, I started to get depressed, thinking that it's sad that I cannot even talk to my own mom and dad about personal issues I was having.
Nelgatha7
Yes, Anxiety can easily cause you to feel depressed because it puts a huge amount of stress on you, eventually you feel like everything you're doing can/will fail and that'll eventually lead to you feeling worse and worse, it's a negative spiral, one that's hard to break.