Can anxiety cause me to feel depressed?

★ This question about Anxiety was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Lara Gregorio, LCSW

Therapist

I believe that depression can feel all-consuming. I have a real passion for helping my clients to reclaim their voices and lives from depressive thoughts.

wondercat
Yes. When you're feeling constantly anxious about something, it can cause you to feel depressed based on the situation that you're facing.
Anonymous
It's possible especially if you feel like you can't do stuff you want to be able to do because of the anxiety. Depression and Anxiety are pretty closely related and if you have one you're more likely to get the other because of the chemicals in your brain.
Anonymous
Feeling like nobody cares about you. That life would not change for anyone else if you simply did not exist.
Anonymous
Of course. You can get depressed because of any problem that you're struggling. Actually this little things are making you depressed in beginning.
MadilynRose
Depression and anxiety can definitely add into each other, and make each other seem worse! The good thing is, though, that when you get your anxiety in a good position, your depression will be aided a bit as well!
SurvivorDan
We have a natural response when it comes to survival, its our fight or flight response. Specifically fear driven and this fear is normal fear like say a fear of a poisonous snake biting me. That is real fear. Anxiety is a form of fear too but its not real and experiencing this sort of fear all the time can leave yourself feeling depressed that things are not working right in your life. So I think there is a connection between fear and depression the way I deal with anxiety is to recognise the unrealistic fear and ask myself the question "Where is the evidence?" I ask myself were is the evidence to support this fear I am experiencing, challenging my thoughts and in the end the anxiety goes away.
Helios7
Absolutely it can! In fact, anxiety and depression very often go hand-in-hand. If you lived your life every single day struggling with fear and worry, uncontrolled fear and worry that leaves you constantly feeling on-edge, stressed, and often irritable, doesn't it make sense that this might begin to have a negative impact on your overall mood? It's very common for the uncontrolled negativity we associate with anxiety to push us into a dark place that leads to depression.
nightFlower81
Anxiety can definitely make you feel depressed. When you struggle with anxiety sometimes you can feel hopeless. Feeling that way leads to depression. The best thing you can remember is that you need to have patience with yourself. Anxiety doesn't go away overnight, and working through your anxiety can take a lot of time. Keep your head up, and think of your anxiety as a journey. You will find out a lot about yourself on this journey, and in the end, you will come out stronger.
Anonymous
Yes. Anxiety is complex and there is no one size fits all. I would suggest to speak to a counselor or psychologist about your anxiety and the triggers your experiencing. Most important of all give your self credit for every little accomplishment.
AngleTYBarakatx
yes, it can.. anxiety can cause you to isolate yourself from the world which could cause you to feel lonely and upset which can lead to depression.
IntelligentZebra198
Absolutely. Anxiety brings on worry and stress, causing you to over analyze a lot of situations causing more stress. It can become a self defeating behavior that grows over time.
alliecat1901
I can't say that it does because i've never been through that but It could happen to some people....
Anonymous
Maybe, but it isn't a symptom of anxiety and anxiety isn't a symptom of depression. They aren't linked in anyway, but are commonly diagnosed together.
laura188
anxiety can cause you to step out of social situations and cause you to become incredibly reclusive and almost not want to be around your friends so I'd say in a lot of circumstances it can confuse you and bring you down, so I believe you can become depressed from anxiety
frothySmiles42
it can cause depression for sure because you feel frustrated by your anxiety and how it affects your everyday life best thing to do is maybe take up yoga and mediation these will help you relax your mind and body and learn how to cope better when you feel anxiety coming on as well
KKGunner
Yes. Anxiety can make life harder which can dim your view of life and lead to depression. They commonly co-occur with each other.
nthngbttrth
it may act as one of the reason//! but the thng lies on concentration.. its act as membrance that filters thngs
misguidedmusic
Unfortunately anxiety commonly leads to depression as the two coincide hand in hand. The negative feelings that anxiety can cause to arise generally leads to depression. Being diagnosed with an anxiety disorder is actually a large predictor that you may develop depression at one point, unless it is managed correctly. Apparently, both anxiety and depression are linked to an imbalance of same chemicals in the brain - so it may be scientifically proven also.
allnaturalHeart67
Yes, anxiety can cause an enormous amount of stress that can make you feel weighed down and depressed.
Hippytree
Yes, anxiety and depression are often linked. If you feel depressed or anxious you should always talk to someone
Dailydaydreama
Anxiety can be overwhelming so it can stop us from feeling connected to our friends , family and the community . Feelings like being depressed can be one of the things that impact on our day to day lives because of these situations .
Anonymous
In my personal experience, anxiety can lead to feeling depressed for me when the anxiety becomes too overwhelming.
Anonymous
Yes depression can be caused by lots of many different things. Anxiety is a very common cause for depresseion
Anonymous
Sure. I think it's actually quite common, seeing the answers. My OCD led me into a huge depressive state and often I felt suicidal. Anxiety wore me out and stripped me of hope; I felt like I became what I most feared. Being worn out, I guess I was depressed.
Anonymous
Short answer: Yes, Anxiety can cause depression. As well as vcie-versa. Although from what I have seen it is NOT uncommon for the two to go hand-in-hand.
SoulfullAshley
Anxiety can cause you to feel a lot of things, and depressed is definitely one of them. Anxiety and depression can sometimes go hand in hand. Your emotions really hit you hard with both of them. So yes, you can absolutely feel depressed, especially when you are extremely anxious about something. And I think that is pretty normal.
Sarah777
Anxiety can cause depression. Anxiety can mess with sleeping and eating habits as well as emotional well being.
peacefulCat41
Anxiety can cause you to feel depressed if the anxiety lasts for a long time because it makes it seem like you are unsafe, uncertain and unable to make a good decision and therefore unable to help yourself to do and feel better.
strawberryblossom97
Anxiety and depression are quiet different, but with depression you can often experience symptoms similar to anxiety (I'm not professional just my opinion, and Im not saying you can't have both)
Anonymous
Anxiety has a huge part in depression. So yes if you have anxiety than you have been depressed. It's hard to get rid of it.