Can anxiety cause me to feel depressed?

★ This question about Anxiety was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Lara Gregorio, LCSW

Therapist

I believe that depression can feel all-consuming. I have a real passion for helping my clients to reclaim their voices and lives from depressive thoughts.

comfortableRose70
Yes, anxiety can cause you to feel depressed. Anxiety can cause people to avoid situations or things that make them happy. Avoiding things that make you happy have the potential to contribute to depression.
Moniarchy
Anxiety and depression often go hand in hand, actually. There are people who have them both at the same time in a short period of time like a day, or people who have periods of time when they have anxiety and periods of time when they feel depressed. There are certainly a good amount of people whose anxiety causes them to not be able to do everything that they want to accomplish, for example, and then who, upon realizing that they were not able to accomplish a certain thing, can start to fall into depression.
weallthesame
Many people who develop depression have a history of an anxiety disorder earlier in life. There is no evidence one disorder causes the other, but there is clear evidence that many people suffer from both disorders.
Anonymous
Yes, it most definitely can! When you have anxiety, you stress, get cranky and generally feel awful
MyGlassIsHalfFull
Anxiety is an emotion that can cause people to feel all kinds of different things and fears, for instance you can be anxious about going to social events which would cause you to fear them and not go out.. This can then lead to a state of depression where you feel no one is there to support you. But you're here on 7cups and they're are hundreds of listeners willing to help you and guide you to the path you think is best for you.
skylei37
Probably. Anxiety has a lot of impact on a person's well-being. Physically, emotionally and mentally. If anxiety is not given enough attention, it may lead to depression. Which may cloud a person's attitude and behavior.
Tiffany8907
Yes I do believe that anxiety can cause depression. The added stress can cause one to form depression. Especially if anxiety is interfering w/ daily life.
tieaknotholdon
Yes, it can. I consider them to be very close together. Most people who have anxiety are also depressed.
cherishedJet13
Yes, because anxiety can go out of control causing feels of sadness and hopelessness sometimes when you have anxiety.
Anonymous
Yes. Anxiety and depression are like sisters or brothers. They can come hand in hand. One of the symptoms of anxiety is depression and vice-versa.
Anonymous
I had anxiety, and well it caused me to because become depressed. Anxiety can make you nervous and judge yourself, and in turn that can lead to depression.
EarthAngel470
Yes, I believe that anxiety can definitely cause a person to feel depressed. I think that, in many cases, depression exists because the anxiety is so draining / exhausting.
MathewTheBull
After all, what is happiness? Love, they tell me. But love doesn't bring and never has brought happiness. On the contrary, it's a constant state of anxiety, a battlefield; it's sleepless nights, asking ourselves all the time if we're doing the right thing. Real love is composed of ecstasy and agony.
KittenFriend112
yes. anxiety can make you feel as though many things are your fault or that the worst scenario will happen. which in return will make you feel like not doing things just in case something bad actually does happen. so you will become sad and depressed.
handofheart
Yes. Oh, yes, definitely. I've had so many days where I have anxiety about my future and then end up crying on my bed because I feel like I won't have anything to show for all this worrying in fifty years and I should give up. But the trick is to not let it get the best of you.
Anonymous
yes of course it can, you just need to learn how to cope with these things and realise its just your mind being awful to you and not to worry because people really do love you
drowninginthecupcakes
yes many times in many cases people who develop anxiety tend to develop depression also. How ever this is not always the case
Anonymous
Yes chronic anxiety isn't fun, ...... 100char..............................................................
fruitySunshine64
Yes. Been anxious can lead to depression. The thing that lead you to the state of anxiety can affect everything else that goes on in your life. It takes the joy out of moving forward. You are thus left with the burden of trying to deal with whatever it is along with the many mood swing that you will then be developing. You put that one thing at the center of everything else and if you fail at acconplishing it, it then over comes you leaving you in a state of depression.
Anonymous
In my experience it can, I've notice that both anxiety and depression are closely related and one can trigger the other
TheElusiveOne
Of course. The symptons of anxiety result in restlessness, and nervousness, eventually resulting in withdrawl symptoms, leading to depression and lack of motivation and energy to do anything.
freshVoice21
Anxiety can certainly cause depression. When you feel out of control and somewhat panicked, you start to wonder what's wrong with you. Those type of thoughts can open a whirlwind of emotions because you're not in control of your own body.
Malkie
Anxiety can sometimes cause depression, and depression can sometimes cause anxiety. They are both mental illnesses that can be reactions to your environment or situations. Whatever causes the mental illness can be many different factors but the most important thing is to never blame yourself for it.
Anonymous
Yes, sometimes anxiety becomes a trait and when you worry and feel nervous you think no one is there to help or no one understands you, so you exclude yourself from social activity. You can also start to feel alone and that nobody cares, which leads to depression.
ChasingInsomnia
In my experience, my anxiety actually turns into depression when I'm experiencing extreme anxiety for too long. I sort of think of it as a cup. All of my feelings are supposed to fit in the cup, but my anxiety is an ice-cube that is taking up room so I don't have so much space for normal emotions. And thus, I overflow, which is my depression. That's just me, though.
Softblanket1029
Absolutely. Having anxiety and not having the proper treatment can cause depression. When someone has anxiety it can consume their day-to-day life and prevent them for working, sleeping, eating, socializing, etc.
Anonymous
Anxiety can cause you to be depressed. You feel out of control and worthless.Your panic/anxiety attacks will cause you feel like a disappointment.
VitaCash
Yes, anxiety can cause one to be depressed. There have been such examples of anxiety leading to depression. One issue with anxiety is indecisiveness. Imagine a scenario where one has been invited to a small gathering in a public place, the anxiety can cause one to not want to go as of the fear of social interaction and judgement. If one does then refuse such a invite after the event has happened and one has not participated there can be a feeling of sadness. One begins to feel lonely and unloved which can lead into a depressed mindset.
LovebyChristina
From my experience, anxiety can lead to feelings of depression. Anxiety can become overwhelming and seemingly out of control. Anxious thoughts can spin into depressing thoughts, leaving one feeling depressed.
Anonymous
I think anxiety can cause depression yes. Anxiety can be very lonely and that can cause depression.