Can anxiety cause me to feel depressed?

★ This question about Anxiety was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Lara Gregorio, LCSW

Therapist

I believe that depression can feel all-consuming. I have a real passion for helping my clients to reclaim their voices and lives from depressive thoughts.

Anonymous
Having lots of anxiety will make anyone feel overwhelmed, but having a lot of anxiety can cause someone to have depression. Constantly feeling social anxiety, feeling all this pressure will most likely cause depressive thoughts, if not, depression.
prophetmonr0e
Having anxiety is the most significant predictor that a person will develop depression. Anxiety can be depressing.
LavenderFan
Yes, anxiety and depression are closely related. Just like depression can cause anxiety. It depends on where you draw the line and how you define the two. Check out the guides on this website for more information.
courageousDreamer13
In my personal experience, yes. It builds and builds for me and feels like there's this weight on my shoulders that drags me and my mood down. So I take deep breaths, focus on the positive side of things and soldier on
Anonymous
Absolutely. Sometimes anxiety can have negative effects on your brain that make you feel overwhelmed or hopeless. it can have effects on your life that can bring out depression.
CammJo
Anxiety can definitely make you feel depressed. Often times, our body and mind have a natural reaction to things. So with some people, they may feel as if they will never overcome their anxiety, so it makes them depressed.
Anonymous
yes and also visa versa…a constant worries can lead you to negative thoughts too so you feel sad and bad about yourself and thinking what if this happens what if that happens..many assumptions in your head can lead to negative energy ...
Anonymous
Absolutely-- in fact, depression is a common comorbidity of anxiety sufferers. That said, not every patient that is anxious feels depressed, and visa versa, but the two conditions can sort of feedback on one another when found together.
LOV1NGCH1CK
It can cause it can bother you and make u think of the worst. Try to get help there is doctors who can subscribe anxiety pills try talking to your doctor.
Bri
Anxiety can absolutely cause you to start feeling depressed! For many individuals both go hand in hand, myself included. Having constant worries or anxiety can really break you down and start to turn those anxieties into thoughts that are harmful to your general health. But know that everyone has worries and that it's completely normal to have anxious thoughts without it leading to depression. Staying on top of your self-awareness, self-care, and making sure that your worries aren't your soul thoughts during the day can really help to avoid depression.
Anonymous
Yes anxiety can cause people to feel depressed. I suffer from anxiety and it has made me depressed.
Anonymous
August 2nd, 2015 10:57pm
I think sometimes having anxiety can make you feel depessed as you feel anxious about something and you get sad
Anonymous
Yes, anxiety can cause you to feel depressed in some cases but there is help before it gets any worse. You can speak to someone about it so try not to worry too much about it because you are not alone in this.
supportiveIceCream52
If your anxiety becomes overbearing it can without a doubt make you feel depressed. Essentially you feel you cannot come out of a "hole" you are in and it's downhill from there. To remedy this, plan out what you have to do in the coming days (2 or 3 maybe), this will help relieve you mind of having to hold all these numbers, dates, appointments, etc and will help you see your schedule.
Fledisthatmusic
Yes! Anxiety affects your mental wellbeing and anything that makes you feel less stable in your mental or physical health can be a contributing factor to depression. The key is to recognize that this is possible and to seek help if you feel it happening. If a broken leg can be a trigger to somebodies depression, there's no reason why anxiety is any less relavent a trigger.
wolfpoetsong
Ummm... Sometimes it can, but oftentimes depression makes one feel anxious. Like, you can't feel better, or happier ever again. Believe me, it'll get better.
NeonArtist93
Yes, harbouring anything that is negative for a long period of time without having a proper release can lead to depression.
Anonymous
Anxiety can cause someone to feel depressed as it would stop someone from achieving their goals, this would cause some symptoms of depression.
Llwyn7
In my experience, yes, one can easily trigger the other. If you anxiety is bad enough that it regularly interferes with your life, it can certainly plant seeds of doubt and depression in your mind.
Sammy01
Absolutely. Anxiety and depression feed off each other. Anxiety can stop you from meeting up with friends and doing things that make you happy, which then makes your mood worse. The best way to combat this can be to treat the anxiety, so that you can keep doing positive activities.
Anonymous
Yes, yes it can. Anxiety is commonly linked to depression and depression can also cause you to feel anxiety.
heretohelp356
personally I think it can it can lead to feeling anxious about how you look and that can lead to it.
Anonymous
One in the future, one in the past, pissing over now. My recommendation? Dont lift your leg on others.
heartsNcupcakes
Absolutely. Anxiety can be the root cause to a ton of things; All kinds of physical, mental and emotional aches. Sometimes, the anxiety was only the surface of a much deeper issue of depression that we may have been having. Sometimes, having anxiety for so long and having it hinder life experiences or relationships can lead to feelings of depression. However, there is always a way out of that. We just have to know when to reach out for help. Anxiety can be debilitating on your own.
Nightwatch56
In my experience, depression has caused me to feel anxious. When you're in uncharted territory its easy to over analyze what is happening and incorrectly diagnose the problem. That only adds to that anxiety to build, and when a problem goes unsolved from being anxious then yes, that can cause you to become depressed. Try using a journal to recognize triggers and then you can find what the problems are and begin to solve them.
RollingTide
Yes anxiety can cause you to feel depressed. Anxiety is a feeling of being overwhelmed by certain circumstances beyond your personal control.
Anonymous
Maybe not immediately, but it isn't uncommon for people with anxiety to also have depression. It might not necessarily be depression in the clinical definition, but people with anxiety can still experience low points and depressed feelings.
Miracle
Anxiety itself cannot generally cause you to feel depressed though anxiety disorders and depression commonly occur together. Often it is the effects of your anxiety for example being afraid to leave the house or speak to friends for fear of ridicule that can cause you to feel depressed.
AnyaS
Yes it can. When you have anxiety, it really wears you out and it may reduce your energy levels which can cause you to feel weak and gloomy. it is best to try and stay calm and find ways to alter the situation when you feel anxious so that you can feel comfortable and calm.
ClaraIskald
Yes. Anxiety can make you feel so afraid that you won't be able to do anything without fear. Seeing yourself so numb may lead to depression and you can suffer from both simultaneously. However, you can overcome both of them as well.