Can I drink alcohol or use recreational drugs if I have anxiety?

Danielle Johnson, MSED, Community mental Health Counseling, LMHC

Sometime situations and feelings can be so strong that we struggle to function. You are not alone! My practice is flexible and open-minded and tailored to your personal needs.

Anonymous
It is quite common that people use alcohol and drugs to lower their anxiety or to make them forget their worries. But unfortunately there is often a reverse effect and the anxiety gets worse, either while being intoxicated or when the effect wears off. I understand that you want to fight your anxiety in all ways possible and alcohol and recreational drugs might seem like a quick fix. But it is not be the best choice if you want a long-term solution for your problem.
RebeccaH
That really depends. If you're on any kind of medication for anxiety, your doctor has likely told you to stay away from alcohol as it can interact poorly with many anxiety medications. In general, recreational drugs are dangerous and should be avoided. Some people say their anxiety was eased by using marijuana, but others find that it actually increases their anxiety, so I'd recommend staying away from it entirely
Anonymous
No! Drugs are never the answer! There are always better ways to take care of anxiety, such as music, going outside, playing your piano, ect
Anonymous
I don't drink, and I don't use drugs when I'm anxious because I don't know how they will affect those feelings; whether they might make them go away or make them worse in a situation where I am not fully equipped to deal with complex feelings.
BillNIndy75
While I would never condone using illegal substances or alcohol for anxiety issues, some reports have said that marijuana is good for helping anxiety.
ZoeAlwaysSmile
If you're having anxiety or any anxiety disorder you shouldn't drink any alcohol or recreational drugs. It can excite you brain. Also, if you're having medicine because of the anxiety you shouldn't smoke or use ANY alcohol, since it can affect the way that the pills work
ImperfectlyPerfect
Anxiety is typically worsened by alcohol and drugs. Doctors or professionals can advise better methods of coping with anxiety.
Anonymous
The short answer it no. I have lots of mental health issues including anxiety and it really isn't good to take drugs or drink. I am actually not even allowed to drink because of the prescription medication I am currently taking for my mental issues. One fact I know is that alcohol is a depressant so it will not help. It will numb pain but in the long run, that is much worse. I have had family do this a lot and it ended up causing them a lot of lost relationships and loneliness. Please stay away from self-treatement and see a professional.
Caotn97
Though I personally have never done drugs I have done my fair share of drinking. In which some included trying to drink away my feelings, now saying this I have never been an alcoholic or addicted to drinking regularly. But when trying to drink away feelings and emotions it feels good in the moment but when it all washes away back comes though feelings and emotions. So from personal experience drinking should not be done when experiencing anxiety because in the moment it feels good which can lead to more drinking and could possible become a bigger issue.
Eylul
No, it is not a method that can help you about anxiety. They shouldn't be the things we apply when we face something hard for us because they will make the situation worse and worse.
Dhawal
I think there are lot's of stuff in life, rather than drinking alcohol and drugs, you should try to do things what you like the most, see deep inside your heart , and keep busy your self with activity which you love to do.
Here4youtoday
I don't think that mixing drugs or alcohol with anxiety helps. Alcohol and drugs can cause adverse reactions to anxiety and can even amplify problems
Hannah2020
You can, however I would try to abstain from it. I've found drinking alcohol or using recreational drugs only increased my feelings of anxiety..
Anonymous
When you feel anxious, close your eyes and breathe in slowly and gently through your nose for a while. Alcohol even causes anxiety. You can have hot chocolate or some tea instead.
pinecones
Many people with anxiety do use these, though I would recommend that you stay away from these if you suffer from anxiety: they can exacerbate the symptoms.
SamWise70
Treating anxiety with alcohol or recreational drugs is like putting a bandaid on an infected wound without first using antibiotic. Sure it will feel better in the short term, but it wont address the problem directly and if left untreated, will actually make it worse.
DipityEnigma
Drugs and alcohol have been proven to increase health issues especially in those already suffering from depression and anxiety but yes; you can do so although it is strongly advised against.
Uniqueg
Maybe you should ask your doctor, there may be some medicine your doctor can prescribe that can be helpful.
Minh
It is not a good idea to use alcohol or recreational drugs if you have anxiety. Talking to people that are close to you and understand you is a better treatment.
Anonymous
Yes you can do it, but if it is wise depends on the reason you want to and the way you would respond to it. For instance it can either numb you, or make your symptoms worse.
Betti1996
No, you can't! The alcohol and the drugs are harmful but anxiety just amplify the effect of them. I have to mention the fact that your anxiety will be amplified, too.
Dreamit2880
It's not a good way for you to cope with your anxiety. It just covers up what's already there. There are many other different and healthier options to choose from.
KayBay
i would not recomend either of these methods for anxiety as alcohol is a depressant and will make things worse anyway and some drugs have that effect too
Anonymous
No because it only covers up the problem, it doesn't solve it. After the high or buzz wears off then you feel even worse because now on top of anxiety, you have a hangover or you just feel gross about yourself.
Elis
It is not good to use any kinds of drugs or substances to relieve anxiety if they are not prescribed to you by a doctor. Getting into the habit of using drugs is harmful for the body, as you will start to feel addicted to the substances. It is best to discuss the problem with a medical doctor who has experience with anxiety, and knows the best way to help you with your specific situation.
share
I am sorry you are suffering from anxiety, that has to be tough. In answer to your question, I would never want to cause you harm so I am going to suggest you ask that question of your physician or pharmacist.
Ashlee0899
Would emphatically recommend no! This can only worsen your condition and/or get you addicted to these substances.
Anonymous
I have learned that only makes things worse. Masking your problems doesn't make them go away. And eventually when you have to face them, they will seem more overwhelming.
Anonymous
No. Alcohol is alright only occasionally, and in small amounts, like, a glass of wine on festivals. Drugs are bad and will ruin your life. Maybe not at first, but they will most certainly ruin your life. Try drinking orange juice and eating apple pie and cakes instead. They are much better and orange juice is extremely healthy. (Besides, from what I've heard, alcohol doesn't taste good anyway).
mjanewatson
Alcohol or drugs can feel like way out if you feel anxious but it actually can make things worse than they actually are. Not in the moment.