Constantly Thinking Disorder: is it a real thing?

Dorothy Paige, MS Psychology

I believe that any issue that prevents one from living life to the fullest or prevents self love is defeating. I am committed to providing support to anyone who seeks help.

Anonymous
I guess so. Because it happens with me, a lot. I can't help it.. However hard I try. It is very hard for me to concentrate on studies or anything else that is important.
Anonymous
I would say it's probably a real thing, I've never heard of it, but if it is a real thing, I definitely have it.
CassandraLouise
I do think our minds can go into over drive mode. Over thinking things can lead to anxiety and all other types of problems. The ability to relax and switch off completely is more difficult for some.
savanal
I didn't know that there was a term for this because I always called it "overthinking." But yes, I do think that this is a real thing. When you overthink too much, it can really hinder your social life and how you approach things. For example, say you overthink that you're going to trip and fall while you walk. When you're walking, you're going to be overly cautious because you kept thinking that you might trip. So yes, it's a real thing.
SosukeAizen
Not to my knowledge however you may be experiencing overthinking which, although not a medical disorder, is quite a tricky phenomenon to deal with. Just try to handle what is within your control.
Anonymous
Eating disorders are real and serious. It's not that someone just doesn't want to eat, or they could keep it down, or that they just eat too much. Eating disorders are actual problems that people deal with. If someone wanted to eat more, keep it down, or not eat so much, I'm sure they would. People with these disorders are not alone and can be helped.
QueenDeal
Constantly thinking disorder is real but would be called an anxiety disorder with constantly thinking being one of the symptoms of an anxiety disorder.
HufflepuffQueen22
No. It is normal to overthink sometimes. There is no such thing as constantly thinking disorder. Our brains are constantly thinking and never stop thinking till death.
Beeblebrox42
That's a really interesting question. On the one hand, from personal experience I definitely feel like I am constantly thinking. I always feel the need to keep myself entertained, and boredom feels downright painful. I can see how this can be problematic because if I'm constantly thinking, I'm constantly burning oh-so-precious energy that I could be saving for much more productive things! On the other hand, what would it even feel like to not think? Do we count perception as thought? Are observations thought? Or are we only counting a running internal monologue as 'Thought'? Depending on how broadly we define the term, would we even be conscious of the passage of time if we weren't thinking? If that's the case then CTD isn't so much a disorder as it is a function of consciousness. Or maybe I just think too much!
Miracle
It's not a diagnosable mental health condition no (as in not in the DSM). However constantly thinking or ruminating is often a feature of anxiety disorders.
Anonymous
There are disorders that include such symptoms of hyperactivity and constant overflow of thought. ADD, ADHD and anxiety disorders tend to match this description. It can be difficult to focus on a single idea and bouncing from thought to thought or escalating ideas are common.
Anonymous
January 21st, 2016 2:19pm
yes it is, because of our imaginary thoughts that sometimes we couldn't understand it made us fell anxious
fantasticFreedom36
January 22nd, 2016 11:22am
As humans, we like to think a lot and over-complicate simple stuffs in life, it may be very true. But it is good only if it helps adds value to our life.
Anonymous
January 23rd, 2016 5:34am
I think it's a false thing because even with disorder you can still find ways to change the way you think.
Anonymous
If you're thinking about something way too much and panicking about it then yes . If you're just thinking things which is happening in reality and you're not over thinking about it then its normal.
MarkW
We are probably always thinking. If the conscious thinking interferes with your work activities, social life and your well being, it's most likely a disorder.
NickManUtd92
I don't think so. I mean I don't think it's a disorder. We as human beings always think about things. In fact, it is literally impossible to not think about anything. You'd have to be brain dead or just dead. So no I don't think it's a disorder. I think it is natural for us to always think about things.
Anonymous
I believe this is a disorder. Because it's keeping you from doing what you like to do on a normal day
EnlightenedLux
Absolutely not! Everyone is constantly thinking and those who can't compensate or understand this often associate themselves with a disorder.
xray
Everyone thinks constantly to one degree or another, except maybe for the people who have trained themselves to have a quiet mind. The frequency and the content of the thoughts is maybe what varies from person to person, but whether someone chooses to label it a "disorder" is up to them. If that's the way they understand the condition, that's their worldview. You have to find your own.
Anonymous
Constantly thinking is not a mental disorder, but it could be linked to other disorders such as anxiety or depression, depending what the thoughts are.
Heretohelp2000
February 21st, 2016 10:25pm
I think that would be more catorgized as a panic disorder. In my expierence I've had racing thoughts which is linked to my anxiety.
Unicornsparkles94
this sounds a lot like anxierty, not been able to control your thoughts, a constant state of worry and tension concerning everyday events,
Anonymous
Not sure if its a good thing but you shouldnt break your head thinking. I think you should get your mind off something into something you like doing. I as well have a lot of thinking but i talk to my fiance or play with my son to get my mind off of things
Imherepeople8
Yes of course, constantly thinking about your future and your past and not enjoying your present. Thinking about the mistakes you did or the things that could go wrong in future
Anonymous
March 2nd, 2016 6:41am
Yes, it's definitely a real thing! Many people are overwhelmed by their over-active thoughts and mind, which can be very stressful and frustrating.
Anonymous
March 3rd, 2016 8:35am
Yes it is a real thing, one can frustrated with constant thinking and can get lost. Anxiety is a symptom and rapid heart beating and anger. Good sleep and food and emotional support can improve that disorder.
GlitterSkies
I consider myself an overthinker. It is possible to constantly think. You have to learn how to control your thoughts to break free.
ElectricGrace54
Personally, I think it is. There are some people who can think of nothing and relax... and those who think so much that it then starts to harm them.
Anonymous
Honestly, when do we NOT think? We, as humans, over think A LOT. It's actually a probably for most people.