Constantly Thinking Disorder: is it a real thing?

Dorothy Paige, MS Psychology

I believe that any issue that prevents one from living life to the fullest or prevents self love is defeating. I am committed to providing support to anyone who seeks help.

lizzle
I would say no , because constantly thinking is apart of the human experience, especially as an introvert. Sometimes your thoughts never stop, but that isn't a bad thing. Unless your thoughts are causing distress by becoming anxiety or over excitement, and it's making you miserable constantly. Then I guess that would be an anxiety disorder rather than an over thinking disorder, I'm not sure on this answer.
Anonymous
No but many people do go through a time when they cannot stop thinking about all sorts of things for many different reasons.
WoundedHelper
It all depends on what your thinking. Such as suicide, school, home, partner, friends, and much more.
Anonymous
It can be real for us who struggles to stop recurring thoughts. I personally find it real because at times it is hard to cope with flashing thoughts which cannot be suppressed within you.
Anonymous
This disorder is nothing to joke about and is definitely a real thing. It can cause major problems and you may not enjoy precious moments as much as you should, due to your constant thinking about the past, future, etc. This disorder can also prevent you from sleeping, and if that's not real, I don't know what is.
Anonymous
No, or not yet, I suppose. But there is something called over thinking. Don't worry, you are not alone. Talk to someone if you feel like your thoughts are getting the best of you.
politeHeart26
Anxiety can cause you to think about things constantly. Your mind can seem to not switch off. Even to the point of worrying about not worrying.
StephSnake1582
I'd think that'd be anxiety. Which is like you can't stop thinking about negative outcomes and using what if situations. It's not just a physical part, which is like shaking and sweating. That seems like the mental aspect of anxiety but really it depends on what type of thoughts
fanglife123
It could be a real thing. I think about things all of the time. So yah. I think it is a sort of thing.
Anonymous
yes it is a real thing it is like eating disorder depression disorder but they are all diognozed by doctors
SilentSerenityy
I would say that links to and/or is actually anxiety. Anxious people over think things and will always be thinking about anything and everything.
Nosh
To me it is, absolutely. I just like to call it anxiety. If you're talking about good thoughts, is it really a disorder?
Anonymous
I would say yes, some people overthink too much and others think way too much in general. Thinking isn't a bad thing, but I guess it could become effective if it keeps on.
TaylorSeth
I believe it is a real thing, and I think people can really suffer from such a thing. So, in conclusion, yes. I do believe it is a real thing.
Anonymous
"Constantly Thinking Disorder" is very real for people who have constant thoughts and never get a break.
Jerome28
Thinking disorder is very real. The person with thinking disorder fully believes the content of their thoughts, no matter how far fetched they might be. Therapy and/or medication helps.
peacefulIris56
It is not a real disorder, but you may have a lot of things going on in your life right now. Perhaps, you are constantly thinking of things because of anxiety or stress as well.
deerinlightbluesky
There is no medically diagnosed disorder that bears the name. You might be referring to general anxiety disorder, a common anxiety problem in which the suffering constantly think about and dwell on negative scenarios. It is a real disorder, but there are many ways you can be helped and cured. You can actually stop constantly thinking.
Anonymous
No it isn't. It's just that your brain seems to be on an overdrive...It can be managed by finding some creative hobby.
Anonymous
I truly think it's a real thing. Your mind never stops thinking especially if you struggle with anxiety or depression.
Emilybrewer1
Well, no. There is not such thing as "Constantly Thinking Disorder" but there are a few disorders close to it such as Paranoid Personality Disorder (PPD) where people are constantly thinking and feeling paranoid about certain things. But to answer your question, as of 2016, there is no Constantly Thinking Disorder in the DSM.
Anonymous
I've never heard of it under that name. You may be referring to ADHD or OCD.
unassumingwillow
To call constant thought a disorder would be a stretch in my opinion, but in my personal experience I myself am constantly thinking and processing new ideas and information. I find that it improves my mood and that I am often bored if I'm not doing two or three things at a time, and so far it has not caused a problem in my life in the slightest.
Link22
This may be connected to anxiety. There are many types of anxiety. Some of the side effects of anxiety may include racing of thoughts. Check in with te Doctor to see if you might have clinical anxiety.
Anonymous
Yes I think constantly thinking is a real disorder because it might also be partially anxiety because you can't turn your mind off and can't stop overthinking and worrying
Anonymous
I do believe that Constantly Thinking Disorder is a real thing. Based on my personal experience, I've had times in my life where it was though I couldn't "shut-off" my brain. As expected, this causes anxiety, worry and lack of sleep. It's as if I was trying to stay one step ahead or if I just had so much worry and anxiety that I could not turn it off in my mind. It caused me to not appreciate life to its fullest, as much joy was replaced by worry.
Anonymous
Thoughts are like mazes. Inside complication there is a mistake for words and apprehension to make statements that not everyone can understand what a real disorder is.
HereToHelpYou742
This isn't a "real" thing it isn't in the current DSM-V. But it can be apart of other disorders such as Generalized Anxiety or OCD
Bearhugs1
Yes, it is. It's called Anxiety. I get it once in a while. And, believe me it's not pretty. But, it goes away. Just learn to turn that negativity to positivity.
ElizabethLovesYou
Does it matter if it is a real thing? If there is something in your life that is bothering you and influencing you badly in any way, it's real to you an that's all that matters. If you go looking for professional help, don't be afraid to describe what you are experiencing as such.