Constantly Thinking Disorder: is it a real thing?

Dorothy Paige, MS Psychology

I believe that any issue that prevents one from living life to the fullest or prevents self love is defeating. I am committed to providing support to anyone who seeks help.

JoyfulHeart822
It might be anxiety, if your thoughts are anxious or worrisome. Or it could be ADHD, where your mind doesn't want to take a break- flitting from one train of thought to the next. It could be any number of things, but if it bothers you, talk to a professional, like a doctor, to get help.
Anonymous
I think it definitely a real thing. Time and time again, I find myself having to consciously stop thinking too much and too far. There have been instances, especially in long journeys where I just keep thinking, my mind jumps from one topic to another. But I think it can be overcome. I've been listening to podcasts when it feel I'm thinking too much
BlackJack911
A lot of people think continuously. But you know, most of the things we think about are not going to happen.
NaturalScience
Not according to the "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders" published by the American Psychiatric Association. However, there are several clinical disorders that involve "overactive" or disproportionate thoughts. I myself have trouble slowing down my thoughts. The important thing to remember is that disorders are persistent, abnormal (as in 'not the norm'), and disruptive. If you feel your life is impacted by overactive or constant thoughts that you cannot stop, you might want to seek professional help. Don't "self-diagnose." If you already overthink things, you are not doing yourself a service by overthinking your own overthinking! Read a book, focus on a hobby, talk to a friend. If you are really worried, reach out to a psychologist/psychiatrist/therapist.
courageousMagic24
Yes, its a real symptom but the name of the disorder may be different. Maybe in the anxiety category where the person is hearing voices or worries non stop about what will happen, etc.
Anonymous
Probably, some people might call that "imagination". Just don't let it distract you too much, find a way to channel all that brainpower.
Anonymous
If it is I have it. It might be apart of adhd. I looked it up and there is a continuous thinking disorder so maybe
Flawlessinsanity21
I do not believe this is a real disorder, just a large problem amongst most people. I believe it falls under anxiety and relates as a symptom: over thinking, excessive thinking, constant thinking, etc. But it, in itself, is not a disorder.
Anonymous
Yes it is, I honestly can't stop thinking. My mind loves to wonder around and sometimes it can be stressful.
Anonymous
Yes over thinking is a disorder,It may lead to unwanted predictions and pessimistic thinking , but completely curable based on the level.
alexxhere
No it isn't because everyone is thinking all the time anyway. If it is negative or worried panicky thought than anxiety or stress may be the issue but everyone thinks
RhinocerosWings
Sounds like a manifestation of anxiety, and possibly related to Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. A lot of the anxiety disorders involve some degree of "mind noise," for lack of a better term. It can get to where you feel like you just can't shut your brain off. It can be really frustrating to deal with.
KittenLove
I personally believe so, and I even think I may be sufering from it as I am thinking 24/7, and has no to little controll.
gentleVision89
Yeah can be, there are people who think alot even for small things ,it's alright but they need to learn to calm down and enjoy life :)
Panda1402
Haha , it is really a thing as nowadays people have the tendancy to keep on wondering about things. And this keeps them busy every single time. It may be hard for that individual to keep the mind idle or keep quiet in their head. Gradually it becomes an ongoing process which takes over the person's ability to have control over himself. Thus making him have the disorder.
GentleEar77
I think it's not, until it makes impossible for us to sleep, etc. I think that is symptom of high anxiety.
michaelp1976
Yes. It is hard to focus sometimes and really work through problems when you are constantly overthinking and overanalyzing things.
Considerate81
Yes it is a real thing.It is the sign of a very active mind,a mind that is aware and alive,educated and impartial,a mind that continuously grows and does not get stuck.Sometimes this constant thinking becomes a disorder and affects the quality of our practical responsibilities.
Supergirl94
Honestly I don't know. I know there are conditions where having constant thought patterns and behaviors is a symptom. I don't know if there is a specific disorder or condition where constantly thinking is a thing. I know we all often over think things, always thinking about things. But that is how our brains work. :) We just have to find ways to calm our minds down or slow our thoughts down
Brooke24
For my experience, I would say yes. Constant over thinking , especially when the over thinking is on something negative, can lead to emotional and physical complications. When you replay a situation over, and over again, your decision-making process can slow down, and you can get overall sense of feeling unmotivated, and drained.
Cocomojo
Yes. And no. No because it is not clinically recognised and is so prevalent as to be deemed normal. Yes, because it is potentially the underlying cause for a host of psychological 'knots'.
itgetsbetteripromise
Overthinking is something that we are all guilty of. Sometimes it helps us to be aware and alert of the possibilities that could arise, but for the majority of it we tend to just place ourselves in situations that lead us to be afraid of our dreams and ambitions and overthink simple situations. Constantly thinking disorder is a real one as i believe overthinking is a killer of ambitions! We rely to much on our thoughts that sometimes jeopardise what we want. The best thing is to focus on the present and live in the now! It's easier said than done but we should all try and put ourself out of our comfort zone and try new things.
Anonymous
I think so, many people have a problem with over thinking and not being able to "turn off your brain" can lead to insomnia.
plushPicture89
It is not a disorder, however it can be very difficult to deal with. We all have our times when we need abit of space from eveyone and thats ok! Sometimes we just need me time
brightJoy72
logically we are all constantly thinkingevwn if it's on a sub conscious level which we may or may not have a lot of power to control. I do not believe something we cannot fully control is a disorder. It just is!
alexsws
This is a real thing because I think I suffer from it. People can think themselves into a bad mood and they can also think of unrealistic scenarios that don't exist and cause them to act indifferent to others
AdmirableTree
If you believe your mind is a unruly place to be then perhaps measured action through mental health practices is a wise thing to pursue. Whether its a problem others have, its certainly something thats difficult for you. Seeking help when you think you need it is a sign of strength.
Anonymous
It is not a real disorder, but your feelings are still valid. I would go to a mental health professional or a trusted adult to talk about what you are experiencing because you deserve to get help for the problems you are facing
SolarisAntares
While, no, the Diagnostic and Statistical manual doesn't have a 'constantly thinking disorder' It can be challenging when we have thoughts that distract us from being able to do the things we enjoy doing. For some people who find it difficult to shut off their thoughts, particularly before bed, some mindfulness strategies can help shape the thoughts in a more productive direction.
Anonymous
Hey, I think that constantly thinking negative thought can be extremely detrimental to an individual