Constantly Thinking Disorder: is it a real thing?

Dorothy Paige, MS Psychology

I believe that any issue that prevents one from living life to the fullest or prevents self love is defeating. I am committed to providing support to anyone who seeks help.

Anonymous
Yes it is a real thing and I believe that we can overcome this disorder together and get through it together
safesecrets79
I believe so. I do it sometimes when I have too much on my plate. If you eliminate worry, thinking too much can be minimized
Anonymous
Maybe... If you can't seem to look it up or get a 100% answer, you could try talking to your doctor...
Anonymous
Some people have a lot of trouble to "disconnect". Their brains seem to always be engaged to an idea or particular situation. Meditation can help quiet things in your mind a little, as well as listening to music or focusing on simple tasks like coloring or making lists.
Hikushi
Depends on the definition. There is anxiety, which can cause overthinking and such which is not good.
PresenceMindfulnessLove
I don't know the answer to that and not a person qualified to answer this so please take the following with a pinch of salt....what I do know is the voice is in all our heads..don't worry but try to find gaps of pauses, it's about learning to focus...its hard we've been used to this voice all our lives and now we want to tell it to stop......good tips....sit in a quiet place with no distraction, a park, a green environment or even your room with no distractions (No phones or tv switch everything off)....and just focus on yourself, your body etc. do this every day for 1 minute...eventually the voice will come back and your mind will wonder again...when you realise this come back to the thing that you were focussing on). do this every day, eventually, you'll start seeing progress...best of luck to all of us with this
RainbowAtHeart
There are certainly disorders that involve over thinking things, although which one you may have would depend upon other symptoms. Often disorders such as OCD and anxiety involve over thinking things, or attempting to analyze them.
Anonymous
March 3rd, 2017 11:46pm
It's not a disorder or at least it's not defined as one. It's more like when a person is unable to stop thinking and can't possibly have a calm state of mind. Can be considered as a symptom of ADD or ADHD. More like a hyperactive brain receiving too much energy and working too hard so that the person is more likely and is more often mentally and emotionally exhausted. People use extensive methods to keep a control of their minds, from alcohol and drugs to meditation and music. It's definitely a real thing and people do get affected by it but I don't think we can go as far as to say that it's a disorder. PS: I have it.
tinybeebee
Well, as living humans, we are bound to think constantly otherwise there would be a problem haha! We cannot turn off our brains and just have peace and quiet... even when we sleep, we are thinking! We tend to think a lot when we are under stress or when we are bored and devoid of mental stimulation. I am not sure what it would mean in the context of a disorder, but I am sure some people are more prone to rumination and excessive dwelling on certain thoughts.
Anonymous
Well... Yes and no. By itself, I don't believe that is a real disorder, no. However, constantly thinking can be attributed to various other things - ADHD for example. The people on 7cups can't help diagnose you as (most) of us aren't trained professionals, however if this is an issue that is bothering you and causing distress, it may be worth mentioning to a therapist who could help you find out what's causing it.
Dawn04
With my limited knowledge and not being a doctor, I believe so - and I too suffer from it, the brain not wanting to just shut up.
Col312
No! Every living human being is constantly thinking, so by definition it is not a disorder. However, when we become stuck in ruminative thoughts that trigger chronically negative mood states, this can lead to a particular type of suffering that we could choose to label as a disorder. But constantly thinking is not a problem in and of itself.
Thanks4Calling
Stress causes over thinking. It can be carried from childhood. Concerns about anything and everything that worry a person. The only relief may be when all is going well. Even then some may worry that this will not continue. I consider it to be a learned habit especially if constant calamities in life have burdened a person. They learn to expect setbacks, let downs and upsets and their brain cannot rest easy even at night their dreams or nightmares may be trying to find an answer to their constant concerns and fears.
Anonymous
This is considered a symptom of a larger mental health condition such as anxiety. It is called Rumination whereby an individual thinks obsessively over one particular issue.
Anonymous
We think every second of the day we're awake. How would it be considered a disorder? Over-thinking things may be a sign of some other psychological problems, but isn't 'constantly thinking'.
PieceoftheUniverse
It's not an official disorder and you will not be able to find it in the DSM or in another manual that diagnoses disorders. But constant thinking could possibly be a consequence of another underlying disorder which leads to excessive thinking. Think about disorders like ADD (a lack of the ability to focus + an overactive mind), general anxiety (eccessively worrying about things till the point that it becomes dysfunctional in your daily life) etc. But hey, it does not have neccessarily be a disorder. Most people seem to live in the now and are fine with that. When you have thoughts constantly running through your head you might think that you have a disorder because you seem so different from the people around you. But it could as well be that your mind is just really well suited for science/philosophy/art etc. So you might even be proud of it!
OCDLena
While Constantly thinking disorder is not real, there are very many disorders characterized by Over-thinking, including many anxiety disorders. Remember, overthinking is normal sometimes, but when it starts to affect your daily life and you can't function normally, that is when it becomes a problem.
mySong
I think it falls under general anxiety disorder if I remember correctly; where a person excessively thinks about everything basically, worrying themselves to much. I, myself, suffer with this to some degree. Thinking if I studied enough for an exam, was polite enough to the person I passed earlier today, seemingly basic stuff that most people won't really obsess over. So, yes, it a real thing. Doesn't go by that name to my knowledge but it's something that people can suffer with.
Anonymous
humans are always constantly thinking. It's not necessarily a disorder just because some people have thoughts overflowing in their brain constantly. In my experience there are times when my mind is racing, and times when I cannot muster a thought at all.
Indieair
I haven't heard about it as a mental illness, but it can be real though. Maybe it is just a part of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder or just overthinking in general.
Anonymous
This is a very real thing. I myself dealt with this when I was around 13, and it consumed me every night as I lay in bed thinking again and again about how I could have done things differently during the day. I feel like people should be more aware that people struggle with this form of anxiety, and that everyone can accept those who face Constantly Thinking Disorder.
Morris310
I think it is. I also think that it is linked with anxiety related disorders. Because when you have anxiety you can't stop thinking about anything even the small ones like if you locked the door before leaving or if you had said the right thing to a particular person that had happened months ago. Anxiety makes you worry and worry makes you think constantly
Anonymous
I wouldn't say this is a disorder, because your always thinking, somtimes I have conversations with myself in my head, I have this whole character maid up! It's not a disorder though it's very much normal.
CareNow
Too much thinking happens when you are rarely in the flow. The flow is described as a state in which people are so involved in an activity that nothing else seems to matter.
romanticthi3f
Constantly thinking disorder? Not quite - but overthinking (constant thinking) is a big part of anxiety, and when anxiety starts to impact your life and be too overwhelming - then it can turn into a disorder. This in the DSM is known as GAD; or Generalised Anxiety Disorder.
MandeeS
February 1st, 2018 5:21pm
Absolutely! I am always thinking, CONSTANTLY. I feel like my brain never slows down, and never just shuts up!
MeganL91
It sounds like you are describing generalized anxiety disorder, OCD, or possibly another kind of anxiety disorder. Anxiety disorders (particularly OCD) may cause racing/unwanted thoughts and mental images. If you are experiencing this and feel as though it is negatively affecting your life, consider speaking to a therapist or doctor.
70cups
An obsession with thoughts is crippling. But like anything, it's where and how we direct these things that makes all the difference. We choose to view these attributes as something that separates us from everybody. However what if that could be changed? What if we saw our 'disorder' as a gift. Something that allows us to see the beauty in thought. Unlock the wisdom of self-criticism. To gain hope from your gift. Don't think about this as a 'disorder' because I have never seen a person truly worthy of admiration ever be in societies order.
DanaMH
Constantly Thinking Disorder is a real thing and I have this and what my neurologist said to do was talk to my pysc MD for meds since she can't give them to me.
Anonymous
It's normal for people with disorders such as ADHD, ODD.etc to think a lot. It doesn't exist though. And is just a symptom of some various disorders.