Constantly Thinking Disorder: is it a real thing?

Dorothy Paige, MS Psychology

I believe that any issue that prevents one from living life to the fullest or prevents self love is defeating. I am committed to providing support to anyone who seeks help.

Anonymous
In my own opinion I do believe that constantly thinking disorder Israel simply because there are issues that we find very very hard to overcome ourselves simply because there is no help available for us to overcome these obstacles and move on with a fresher newer things in life
Scientificocean
I think that the brain can't go without thinking. So I don't think it's a disorder, just that some have heavier thoughts on their minds
Anonymous
I've never heard of it before.. But I would believe it exists. Some people just can't switch their brain off from over-thinking, I'm not sure if "over-thinking" and "constantly thinking" are the same thing though.
shahinaz
overthinking maybe related to ocd or anxiety so i think its just a symptom im not sure actually if it can exist without being related to a known disorder
Anonymous
Constantly over thinking is a nightmare. Life is so restricted as everything that is done is internally questioned and doubted. It is a living hell. Everything I have ever said or done I question as to if I was right or wrong. The past can’t be changed only accepted as I have to forge on.
gurlyNerd
I don't think so, because during my research of disorders, I have never heard of that one. I can't say that I am a professional, but I do have a passion for learning about disorders. If you do think a lot, which often leads to overthinking a lot, you might have Generalised Anxiety Disorder(GAD). I do recommend that you read on that and try to see if your symptoms are the same as the ones that they mention. If you want your diagnosis to be more accurate, try speaking to a psychologist about this and maybe they'll be able to help you :)
BrandonCares1074
I believe it is a real thing but it is up to who you ask. The mind can wander off and start thinking about things when you are trying to relax and it can be disturbing.
AverageJoe1989
I don't believe so. Its normal to have many thoughts cross our minds, how you choose to perceive those thoughts is what is important, as that creates an emotional response to the cognition.
Anonymous
It most definitely is real. My mind is never quiet it’s like it’s always fighting with me. It’s painful, physically and mental.
Allears247
This what I call an overactive/racing mind. I suffer from this. I believe it to be a real thing. I don't know how they would classify it, but to me it seems like a form of ADHD or something along those lines. Maybe anxiety perhaps
Harlan
I think it's a normal human state to constantly be thinking. But there is a difference between constantly thinking and constantly worrying. If you find yourself constantly worrying, you might have an anxiety disorder.
Anonymous
For something to be considered a disorder it has to negatively affect your ability to function and perform activities of daily living. I do believe that people can think so much that they literally cannot do anything else. Although it could stem from another mental illness such as anxiety, it does seem like it could be a legitimate disorder.
Anonymous
I've expereinced overthinking as well and it wasnt easy. I had troubles sleeping at night and it affected my personal relationship with others.
Anonymous
Yes, it is a completely real thing. Our brains never turn off. Even in our sleep, our brain is working.
Inperfection
To simplify this question, yes. Over thinking affects millions of people and symptoms of this cause cost in ones life. Over thinking can impact on relationships, self portrayal, attention and mood.
Eleuthromaniac
Well it isn’t actually listed in the DSM-5 for disorders but constantly thinking is something people can be attacked by frequently because of anxiety disorders or ptsd, depressive or borderline disorders, or simply stress. Constantly thinking can be annoying and sometimes exercising with music or swimming, doing chores, this can all help you keep your mind busy and help you take a mental break!
ZeppelinsOverhead
People with anxiety or other disorders are often unable to stop the flow of thinking or control their thoughts. While this condition may not be listed somewhere as an official disorder, it is surely a struggle for many people...
Anonymous
Well to be honest I think it's fine to be constantly thinking but I think that what could make someone think of it as a disorder is if it affects your daily life. But there are ways to cope
Anonymous
No it is not a real thing . We tend to take things to heart and really think about it depending on the situation . It's called anxiety .
Mahony1989
i believe so to some degree. we call it overthinking. and it can be deadly to our mental health and get us stuck in the mental loops which can lead to great deals of anxiety inside our chests and then follow through to depression when we cannot come to a solution or figure out certain portions of everything we are going over in our minds. Sometimes life presents us with so much to do that it can seem near impossible not to retract through certain things in our minds, and im sure alot of people tend to have one thing about life that they are always falling back on to think about, but also assume nobody else would understand them, thus leaving us stuck thinking about the same thing over and over again day to day wondering about it. overthinking comes from any situation really, from a certain play in a sports game, to wondering if the he/she likes you back to thinking about things you think you should not have said earlier that day. Find ways to distract yourself and or get around people and scenarios that take your mind away from the constantly thinking routine. I would consider myself to be a person that does this a lot myself. Some things are just not meant to be figured out. Ignorance can be bliss.
scben202
Good question, I have not heard this discuss in any forum or just that I didn' come across it. This is my experience and goes back over 20 years. I Joined Alcoholics Anonymous and stopped drinking and lot of negative emotions surfaced and I had to deal with. Anger, restlessness, irritability, anxiety the list goes on, but the one that was driving me crazy , I couldn't stop thinking, my thoughts just racing and nothing I could do to slow down. AA is where I related to people and slowly was on my way to recovery but what was discomforting is that I don't remember anyone complaining about constant thinking so I figured oh well, I am alone on this. Uncover, discover and discard is one of the principals I followed and following the path of recovery, just takes time and constant thinking slowed down to a comfotable state of mind.
Naplesandthemachine
Besides the recognized disorders, people go through many other issues, by different natures and reasons. Overthinking may be one of these, even if you could never have heard about it. Your thoughts may be invasive, and they can block you from living your life happily. So yes, it is a real thing. Never underestimate a problem just because you know nobody who experienced it. Quitting negative and demoralizing thoughts is a really difficult fight, but anyone can face it, and win over them. 7cups is capable to help those who feel like their overthinking is becoming too problematic. Hope listeners can give you support!
ConallBranagin
I believe i would relabel it, but yes. It is absolutely a real thing. It is what keeps one awake at night and distracted in the day. It would be in the category perhaps of manic thinking. There are ways I'd suggest to quell it or at least make it easier to function with such as music in the background or tv shows running you can already see without looking at. For many meds might be help to slow down the brain so that it is more manageable and of course there is always therapy such as DBT or CBT that can be specific to this problem.
Pinkypromise14
Honestly, I think it is. Yes, we do think every minute. Thoughts run through our brain even though we seem to be free of them. Yet, I think that disorder is based upon bad thought, that go hand in hand with anxiety. So it does exist, and it something that probably most of the people with anxiety issue experience. Also, I believe it could be treated like anxiety it self, since the way we can distract ourselves from anxiety, we could distract selves the same way from CTD. It is understandable that such steps are hard, yet let's be positive about ourselves and let's take our health in our own hands.
Anonymous
That's a bit of a complicated question. The term "Constantly Thinking Disorder" is not real and is not used by any professionals. It is a term that has been developed by people in order to explain their symptoms and how their brain works, because they likely do not have an actual diagnosis for it. However, constantly thinking is a very real thing, and it's likely a type of anxiety. Many people with anxiety will overthink situations and even things that have happened to them in the past, thinking about what they could have done differently and how they could have changed it. It could also have something to do with ADHD, or it really could be connected to any disorder where racing thoughts is a symptom. It's not a big deal, and by itself, it's not a concern.
flyhigh17
Constantly thinking to some people is a real thing. I have that problem. I constantly overthink every situation I have to face. Or I think about everyone else's decisions in life. It's a real thing but you have to face those thoughts and tell them to back off. Whatever you do, don't let it control you, that's what I did. It can get really bad and very scary. But I believe that you can make it through this. Try writing down what you think or explain to me what you're thinking. What do you think of the most?
Anonymous
I do not know if it is a scientific disorder but there are people who experience the symptoms. Although it may (or may not) be a disorder, thinking constantly and over thinking are possible. It may cause distress for some but not bother others. If you feel you are this way and you are stressed by it try to relax a little and do something fun/you enjoy. If you're constantly thinking don't feel like it's a bad thing, scientists are costly thinking and questioning things, that's why they follow those thoughts and invent/discover life changing things :) Maybe you just have a very creative mind.
Soundsoul000
It seems like less of a disorder and more of just a symptom of something else. I think adding a diagnosis like that is unnecessary. Disorders such as ADHD and anxiety can have racing thoughts and constant thinking as a symptom. Also a lot of people constantly are overwhelming with thoughts but I don't think it is necessarily a disorder so much as stress or another illness. The criteria for every disorder is that it significantly effects your quality of life. So maybe if it meets those qualifications it could be considered a disorder but that's just my opinion.
Anonymous
Constantly thinking disorder would most likely just be labeled as overthinking or maybe even anxiety. I think it's a real thing, it's just when you start to think about the same thing over and over again making up situations and scenarios in your head. Basically if it's you thinking about something that is coming up you just have to prepare yourself the best that you can until it gets there. Sometimes it's not even as bad as you expect it to be, and that's mainly because you end up overthinking about what could happen instead of what ends up actually happening.