Does anxiety bring depression too?

South Africa

Claudette Pretorius, MA Counselling Psychology

I know how overwhelming it can feel when you're having a tough time. I offer clients a space that is non-judgemental and empathetic whilst navigating these times together.

Anxiety is a physical reaction while depression is a state of mind. However anxiety can make you feel depressed.
musicalEnergy94
for me anxiety brings scary thoughts into my mind, if there is too much anxiety it causes me to focus on the wrong thoughts and it can cause depression. if i think my thoughts are just a thought that in retrospect the scary thought is so very different from the actual reality. what you go through that brings awareness to your memory, the thought is so different that you can erase the thought because there is no purpose wasting your time on something that is just not real.
Anonymous
Anxiety and depression can occur together, but they don't have too. Anxiety is often described as the anticipation of a future feared event, where we spend a lot of time thinking about all of the possible scenarios and outcomes and trying to navigate how we would handle each possible situation. This can be exhausting and can cause feelings that can feel similar to depression. Depression can be a sad feeling about an outcome, or a low feeling about what is happening in a persons life. Being in a constant state of fearing the future can lead to feelings of sadness about the future, but they don't always. If you are feeling anxious or depressed, or perhaps both, it is important to try to breathe, seek out social supports and ask for help.