Does anxiety ever entirely go away?

Melissa Fisher Goldman, LCSW

I have experience in grief work and the related challenges of growing a family (infertility, miscarriage, PPD, etc.). I can help you through your life transitions.

Anonymous
Probably not entirely, but that doesn't mean it will always control your life. Anxious types can always find something to worry about. And, if you are that type, you will no doubt, always lean in that direction.
brightSunshine65
It's difficult to completely rid yourself of anxiety. However, it can be diminished with proper techniques.
Anonymous
No it does not. Some students or even adults any age feel like talking would embarrassed them completely. Or acting or maybe a job interview
EricaaCB97
Honestly my anxiety is always there, sometimes its just niggling in the back of mind, little worries and sometimes it blows up one small worry or several small worries into something massive. And sometimes the massive worries worry me so much I have a panic attack. Anxiety is never fully gone for me I just learnt to distract myself when those small worries start whispering.
RobinJ
Anxiety for me is more of a fluid state than a solid object. If my mind is like a calm ocean, anxiety is like the waves that disturb it. It can't go away entirely, but I can learn to calm the waves and ride out the storms when they come.
Anonymous
I do not think Anxiety is a permanent thing, it comes and goes when we are feeling anxious about something. For example one day you might not have to do anything or do something but you are comfortable with it and not anxious and then the next day start to feel anxious about something. Everyone regularly in their lives gets anxious about something and that is completely normal, so I do not think it ever goes away but at the same time I do not think it is a permanent thing, more of a triggered reaction to something you have to do.
Anonymous
I don't think anxiety ever entirely goes away. I think you just figure out how to deal and cope with it.
charmingMelody14
In my experience anxiety never entirely detaches itself from a person! I think we learn to control it and tame it from a roaring lion to a timid kitten with constant neutering it will behave but its always there!
Anonymous
Ofcourse anxiety is a feeling and like all others it will pass away in matter of time,it is just a serious feeling which needs to be adressed rather then happiness or sadness it takes time to treat anxiety but it is treatable
Anonymous
Entirely? I'm not so sure about. But anxiety can get less powerful. It can go away partially, if not mostly.
PushThroughItAll
No, but keyword: entirely. It can dull down, to the point where you're not very worried at all, but it will never fully go away.
ArielSoles
For me, it never has. I think it depends on your situation and your outlook. The only thing to do is find ways to make it lessen.
organticMango15
As far as I know, anxiety can go and come back. I don't think it can ever completely go away, however some times may be easier than others, and you may learn to deal with your anxiety, therefore making it easier in the future.
Origamidragons
No, but that doesn't mean it can't get better. It will always be there, but you will not always feel it or even notice it.
Eliz
Anxiety can entirely disappear upon self realization. It's very rare for anyone to reach that point, so anxiety will still be present in a small form even if you believe that you have non. Steps can be taken to prevent anxiety from controlling your life!
Anonymous
In my opinion, anxiety never truly goes away. It can get better sure, but there will always be a part of you, even if it's so small you need a magnifying glass to see it.
Anonymous
No I believe it doesn't. But I believe people are able to take control of it and not let it hold them back
FeelBetterSoon
Its possible but you really have to work on it! Change the way you think. A good way is to use cognitive behavioral therapy.
Emily619
Depending on what kind of anxiety it is and the severity of it, it may or may not go away. Most likely, it will. To speed up the process of it going away, try talking to a close friend or anyone you trust.
blessedgirl
Yes, although it's hard anxiety can entirely go away. If you ask how can? The answer is keep being positive, stop too much thinking and don't too close with something that trigger your anxiety.
zaix
i don't think so, because anxiety is in everyones life, it just isn't as bad in some peoples lives as it is in others.
Anonymous
No. Not entirely. It's always there, in the back of your mind - but with distraction, coping strategies and medication, anxiety can be managed - and that, is key. You have anxiety - anxiety doesn't have you.
helpfulhand87
We can manage it but I don't think it will go away completely. As it makes us see the negative side of the events that are happening in our lives, it helps us to be prepared for even the worst case scenarios.. With therapy support, it can help to keep the effects at bay..
Anonymous
I don't know if it ever entirely goes away, but for me it did get better with time. Both medication and experience helped me get over a lot of my anxious feelings.
Kayla1313
Depends. The feeling can, but if your talking about anxiety as a disorder that's harder. GAD, or generalized anxiety disorder, doesn't go away but can be helped with medication and/or therapy.
caitsspnlife
Its very unlikely, something will always be there to make you nervous whether its speaking or public or in the future on your wedding day but it should get better.
Anonymous
In my experience, it doesn't quite go away but it gets to the point where you don't notice it. You learn to control it and find positive ways to get yourself through the rough days.
Anonymous
It's never nice to feel like anxiety is controlling our every move and even to the point of what we are saying and thinking. Oddly, we all need a little anxiety to help us keep safe from what is dangerous and that is a healthy way to feel anxiety. But, we shouldn't have to the point, where your own anxiety controls every part of your life, if it's doing that then that's time to try and minimize it, rather then trying to fight it.
MixyMx
I find anxiety is something that doesn't go away,but is something you learn to manage and ease the effects of it.Things get better over time.
kindNight16
For me, over time, anxiety can be replaced by productive thought and patterns of behavior that are healthier. That said, there are certain situational triggers that can cause a twinge of anxiety, but the key is in having the strategies in place to manage this and the confidence that your strategies are sound.