Does being diagnosed with anxiety ruin your life?

Christine Tronge, LCSW

I help those with depression, anxiety, and phobias develop coping skills to improve their lives and lessen their suffering, if not eliminate it.!!

Noah88
On the contrary, it can make it better. Being diagnosed when you have anxiety just means that you can focus on what will help and how to overcome it or work with it better, instead of feeling all the effects and not knowing what to do. It's always good to know what you're up against. If you meant that having anxiety could be ruining your life, I don't think so either. It won't be easy, but life never is. It's just important to know where you stand, what your limits are, and how to work with your brain and your anxiety instead of against it.
Anonymous
No it actually makes your life better, due to the fact that it opens your eyes. With that information you can fix yourself more easily in my perspective!
Janelle88
No it does not ruin your life. Everyone has a little anxiety flowing through their veins. You can get it treated
AgusD96
November 1st, 2014 4:20pm
No! On the contrary it helps because once you identify a problem, you can focus on looking for a solution.
Wes2
Absolutely not. Most people have anxiety in one form or another, it's very normal. In some cases, anxiety is actually very healthy. It's what motivates you to be productive, for instance. Some of the world's greatest and most innovative minds have also been our most anxious. Think of it as a blessing, but teach yourself the ways in which it can adversely affect your mindset, your behavior, and your relationships. That way you can keep an eye out for your triggers and keep your anxiety in check.
RaduMemete
Absolutely NO ! When I had anxiety, I discovered a good part of it. Since my brain was always on alert mode, I was more focused and motivated to learn some things just to help keep my mind occupied. I found that I learned more efficiently and I was able to focus on some things more clearly. Don't forget about Yin and Yang because in every bad situation you will find something good to learn from.
TropicalSeas91
No, if you are struggling with anxiety an official diagnosis can help you to manage it better, your therapist will be able to prescribe medication if necessary or treat it in other ways; ultimately the diagnosis can help to kick start the process of learning to live with and manage it.
Natalie101
It definitely doesn't. Yes, it can be extremely hard to deal with, but there are so many treatments available and so much is known about anxiety that it is possible to live with anxiety and reduce the symptoms.
lightwillovercomethedarkness
Being diagnosed with anxiety does not ruin your life. You are still the same person you were two seconds before the diagnosis, but now you know of something you can help yourself overcome in your life. Having anxiety may change how you interact with people, but if you set your sights on keeping on top of it, you can help yourself become able to function better in the type of situations that make you anxious and panicky.
Cosmos
I don't feel like it ruins your life at all. When I was diagnosed with anxiety, I was actually relieved that I finally knew why I was feeling the way I was. It was nice knowing that I wasn't crazy, that someone else could say "Yeah, you seem pretty anxious."
Csilvers
When I was diagnosed with anxiety two years ago, it actually helped my life, because it helped to identify what I was experiencing. When I was actively having panic attacks, I seriously believed that my heart was beating out of control and that my lungs were failing. I was under the impression that my body was giving out on me, and having a diagnosis of anxiety was able to help me to heal, because it made what I was experiencing something that people believed was managable.
HannahBaxter
Being diagnosed didn't ruin my life. Anxiety made it difficult, diagnosis gives a path to recovery. Without a diagnosis the path to recovery can seem unsure and worrying. With knowledge comes power and upon realisation, I have been able to address all of these issues and slowly with time, have been able to regroup my thoughts and pull through - just like all of you can! Anxiety is tough, it is, but recognising and knowing it is there can be undeniably positive in terms of finding a way to cope and understand it.
fairmindedacai44
No it does not, it's the opportunity to get treatment and get better. You can finally put a label on what you're experiencing.
adelacru02
I think it is an obstacle in your life that you overcome and in the end makes you a stronger person.
Poppies
Absolutely not. Being diagnosed with anxiety is the starting step to learning how to manage it. Once you know what it is, you can start to work towards overcoming it. Although you may always feel anxious, there are methods you can learn so that it doesn't affect your life
ellahsecret
It absolutely doesn't ruin your life however, it would be up to you to control it. Staying positive is always best
Choral
Not at all. You just need to educate yourself on ways on how to deal with anxiety. You can find self help on our website or public libraries.
Ashlee0899
Being DIAGNOSED doesn't ruin your life, it's one of the first steps in stopping the disease from ruining your life. Once you're diagnosed you can start the journey back to becoming healthy and happy.
Jedda
No, because it can be managed, controlled and prevented. By understanding yourself better, you can learn what is causing it to happen, anticipate it and reduce its impacts on your life.
Anonymous
I'll be honest. It does at first. When your psychiatrist tells you that you have an anxiety disorder, your world turns upside down. But, that's because you've let it take control. Not on purpose, but you can decide to not let it rule your life, and then having a diagnosis doesn't change the way you live your life.
Anonymous
Not always. At times, it may even help you because you may find the interest to learn more about life and what you can do. You as well become someone more unique. Not a freak but it adds a new sense of individuality.
Anonymous
Yes. i thought my life was over when i was told and i have panic attacks every hour of the day but i try and stay positive.
fleur
Not at all. It was better because I finally got to know what was going on inside my brain, and I understood what to do.
Anonymous
Absolutely not! (Though I can understand why you might think so!) There can be a period of acceptance, which can be however long or short (mine was five years!) where you come to terms with anxiety and how it affects you. This is the first step. What was helpful for me was googling anxiety--there are a lot of resources out there! You can also keep track of your anxiety and perhaps notice patterns with certain people or activities that may overwhelm you more than others. You can try different coping mechanisms and see what works for you! The main key, though, is acceptance. Yes, you have been diagnosed with anxiety. No, it is not ideal. But you can learn to take care of yourself and have a life that you love!
Arwa
November 1st, 2014 8:57am
Absolutely not. Accepting the diagnosis is hard, but that doesn't mean your life is ruined. Being anxious doesn't mean you're a loser, it just means that you'll have to work harder and that you're so strong to be able to go through it.
Anonymous
November 1st, 2014 6:45pm
It doesn't, actually. I have GAD (general anxiety disorder) and I mean, some days are harder than others, but once you see that at least somone cares, it helps a lot! So, no, it doesn't ruin your life. And you ever feel like it does, we're here to listen. :)
KKGunner
No, if anything it helped me make sense of things. A diagnosis can offer relief, and explanation, clarity. But once you're diagnosed, it does kinda take over your life since no matter how people tell you "don't let your mental illness define you!" you start realising it impacts every part of your life and if it doesn't define you, it defines your life. But if you get misdiagnosed or you just have a shitty therapist or your friends and family just happen to be really mean to mentally ill people, then the diagnosis just sucks.
NikiTaylor
No. It can cause a stigma to have that diagnosis, sure, but I doubt many people will judge you for it since it's such a common condition. If anything, being diagnosed with anxiety can help you understand what's happening to you and lead you to find ways to help the symptoms you're facing.
heyitssaf
No, but you have to be careful not to give yourself over to that label and let it take over your life. Maybe a better perspective after the diagnosis would be to think, "okay, so the doctor confirmed that i deal with anxiety. This gives me more resources and knowledge to better understand myself, and therefore more power to overcome it."
24hoursaday
Absolutely not! A diagnoses only gives a formal name to what you are already experiencing. And being equipped with that knowledge of yourself, you can begin to address the problem.