Everything in my life is messed up. Motivation works temporarily and I'm not suicidal but feel it's pointless to live like this. What should I do to feel hopeful?

Portugal

Jennifer Patterson, LMFT, ATR-BC

Art Therapist

Life can be messy. Sometimes you need a little support to make your way through it. I love to help guide people through their challenges & to find the beauty in our messes.

Anonymous
Motivation is inconsistent/limited and even more so if you are feeling low. The important thing to do is rather than focusing on your life as a whole, just focus on your day. Even better, focus on the next hour or two and ask yourself, "what can I do to feel better right now?' The best thing is definitely going for a walk, getting fresh air, clearing your mind get the blood flowing. Think about the things you enjoy doing, but make sure they are simple and doable. Once you feel better it is easier to do things that are less fun. Our brains get overwhelmed if a task is too big, we need to break it down into tiny little tasks. When you do that suddenly life doesn't feel pointless or messed up. We can tackle all obstacles if we break them down into tiny steps.
wonderfulPink2477
I’ve been in a situation when I felt like everything was meaningless and life felt pointless. It made me feel so detached from life and like I was failing in every single way. It didn’t help either that people around me weren’t supportive. It was a very tough time and many times I felt like giving up. So I get what you mean, it’s so frustrating. But you know your situation the best and the best possible solutions that would get you out of that funk. You’re life feels messed up, but you’re not a mess. You’re capable of achieving good things and messing up is a part of life.
kira005
i feel the same especially as i have adhd motivation is never a permanent thing i think what works best for me is that i just figured out my purpose of living for example i want to make my life as meaningful as it can be and just be a genuinely good person in this cruel society and give back as much as i can for that i need to have a career and tor that i need to study that’s a cycle of forced motivation i use often as you are not suicidal i think you should take a chance to step back and ask yourself what u really want to be by that i don’t really mean in a “ career way” i mean what you really want be like as a person what habits do u want to have or what traits you would prefer to have thinking about these things can make u more aware of ur own personality and preferences and that’ll help you if not motivated atleast hopeful or feeling like u have something to work on and what makes it more easier the thing u wanna work ok is yourself so you don’t really need other people