How can I get what I need from my doctor?

Lara Gregorio, LCSW

Therapist

I believe that depression can feel all-consuming. I have a real passion for helping my clients to reclaim their voices and lives from depressive thoughts.

cinnamonbuns
December 3rd, 2016 10:47am
Remember that your doctor wants to help because they work to better the lives of others. If you have a conversation about your symptoms they should be able to steer you to the right path, or be able to refer you to a specialist who is an expert in the area.
Anonymous
You just be open and honest with your doctor about your current situation and they will then provide you with their own recommendations (you can either accept or decline), or even suggest something yourself!
Calm191
January 3rd, 2017 3:15am
Try to prepare a brief checklist of what matters you would like to discuss with your doctor and what you have thought of as reasonable causes and solutions. These days doctors are used to patients who have done research online. However, keep in mind that your doctor knows you better than a website ever can, and try to stay open to suggestions your doctor offers you.
WendyBird15
I think that to get what you need most from your doctor first be totally open and honest with them about how you are feeling. We often want feel anxious or shameful about talking about it but that is the time and place, Your doctor is there to help you. If you feel they aren't hearing you say it again. Sometimes what we think we need may not be what is best so again we have to work with the professionals to get what we need and if the doctor you have doesn't listen or can't help don't give up, find someone else. You deserve to be heard and helped.
McIntoshP
January 22nd, 2017 7:43pm
Don't be afraid to ask! Your doctor will hear thousands of questions in their career and not one of them will be ridiculous or unnecessary. It is up to you to take charge or your physical and mental health, the doctor may not always suggest what you think you need - so ask! If you are a minor and want to ask a question about something you would prefer your parent/guardian not to hear, see if you can book an appointment alone. If this isn't possible, ask them to leave the room or wait outside during your appointment, or try to discreetly ask a nurse/doctor to ask them to leave. Doctors will be more than willing to do this for you, as they know that some topics can be difficult to bring up around guardians. However, if you are in trouble, feel like you need more support, or are concerned about your health, I would recommend you clue your guardian in; mostly, they just want the best for you.
Anonymous
You need to be honest with your doctor. Tell them exactly what the problems are without holding any details back. Being completely honest will allow them to figure out exactly what you need.
Anonymous
Tell them what you need and ask them to give you what you need. They're your doctor, they should always help you.
JuliettEchoMary1648
Be upfront and transparent as you can. Not being honest with your own doctor won't be beneficial to either of you.
sereneWaterfall24
The relationship between patient-doctor must be of respect, honesty and openness. No doctor can help a patient if the person being cared for is not willing to speak from their hearts with their doctor.
ButterflyofEmpathy
It's important to tell them everything that is going on, what you think you need, and why. Doctors want to help, and if you go through the motions, they will do everything they can to help. Be honest and open about everything, if they feel they can't see the whole picture, they'll be hesitant to give you what you think you need.
Sunni817
Be detailed about your needs and how you will help to get your needs met. Ask how can you assist with receiving what you need and the best ways to manage in the mean time.
Kittencat
When I visit my doctor, I keep a written list of everything that I wish to discuss and why. That way if I get anxious I don't forget to bring it up or why I thought it was important. I also bring my partner with me to advocate if I believe I will need it. It also never hurts to ask for a second opinion if your doctor is dismissive or appears not to "get" it
BeyondEmpathy
I think the answer to this is being prepared. What are your concerns? What are your issues? What would you like help wit? Hows about making a list of everything you want to say so you dont forget anything. Also remember this person is there to help and support you.
Melody293
The best way to ensure you can get what you need from your doctor is to give them as much information as you can about whatever it is you need help with. Doctors can only work with what you give them. Update your doctor frequently, and let them know if something isn't working for you.
niamh333
I guess that depends on what you need from your doctor but my best advice is this: Go in there, and tell the full truth. It may be difficult but spare no detail as the more information you can give, the more informed a decision the doctor can make. This means you will likely get the treatment you need.
Anonymous
For you to receive proper help from your doctor it is best to be completely honest and clear as to what you need help in.
Anonymous
I personally make a list that I take into my appointments so that I remember to ask what's been on my mind (sometimes I still forget things though), other than that I think it's always just best to be open and honest (chances are they've heard it all before and more!)
rinkuandriku
When consulting your doctor, always try to be upfront about how you're feeling and what you need. Ask for whatever you need and explain your reasons to justify the request.
HattieMae
Firstly it's hard to know with 100% accuracy what you need in order to get better. You may want a certain reaction from your Doctor (like compassion, honestly, accountability), but what you need is based on the judgement of that professional. You may want compassion, but a dose of reality may be better for your mental health. It's weird how our mind work that way. So in order to give your Doctor all the information she/he may need, complete and open honesty is required, and only then can you get closer to what you really need.
Unfairworld
You need to describe everything you feel. Trust your doctor and tell him the situation around the problem
Anonymous
Be honest. This is the best thing you can do. Be honest about your symptoms,why are you seeing them and confide in them with your fears by asking questions. Let's say you are with your GP and have some weird symptoms ask them "Could this be a symptom of ...because I am very concerned". As a person that suffers from health anxiety that is the best thing you can do. This and therapy.
Kate
It's important to be open with your doctor and ask for what you need. It's also important to find a doctor that you feel comfortable having these conversations with. They may not be the right doctor for you and that's ok. Don't be afraid to have an honest conversation about your expectations and what you hope to get out of treatment.
Anonymous
The main thing you can do is be honest. If you want your doctor to know exactly what's going on with you, you need to tell them so. Good luck and take care!
Anonymous
tell him your problem with all details and ask him direct question to help you and answer your needs
123AskRecieveInstruct
Be sure that you give your doctor a thorough history and give details about what is currently going on with you, this will help the doctor make more accurate choices when choosing a reginin for you.
Anonymous
First of all, ask. Be clear about what you think you need that you are not getting and be receptive to your doctor's perspective on it as well.
Anaiviv01
Talk openly. Sometimes we feel judged by healthcare professionals, but being shady or not telling the whole truth can become an obstacle towards healing. They are trained to listen and evaluate the situation.
Dykeria
First, you want to know why you are visiting the doctor. What are you worried about? It is your physical health? Mental health? Knowing what the problem is will allow your doctor to give you want you need to make you better. Additionally, you need to be honest with your doctor. Don't skimp or lie on the details of your condition-- tell them everything. Communicate with your doctor about what you think you need, and if your doctor doesn't understand you might just want to visit another one to ensure that you really are okay.
commandercody209
Depends on what you need from your doctor? If your are speaking of your doctor not listening then get a new doctor
Anonymous
When dealing with doctors it's often about assertiveness. Know what you want to talk about before going in - perhaps write a list of all the things you want to talk about so you make sure you don't forget things. And I know this is hard, but it's okay to be a bit pushy! Sometimes we need to be the squeaky wheel in order to get the oil.