How can I overcome anxiety if I can't talk to a therapist or my own doctor?

Lauren Abasheva, LMHC

A sex positive, and kink knowledgeable therapist with an open mindset and a clear understanding that we are all different.

Anonymous
To overcome anxiety there are a number of exercises for breathing that may help you to feel more calm. I use a very basic breathing exercise where I breathe in through my nose for 5 seconds, then out through my mouth for 5 seconds, and repeat as many times an necessary to feel calmer. There is also the process of grounding that I use quite often where if I feel anxious I list things that fit into the 5 senses (Something I can touch, see, hear, taste and smell). This has proven helpful to get me through panic attacks without too much damage.
aestheticBaddie0530
Find people that you trust and you can talk to, someone that wont try to fix your life or judge you. If you do no feel like there is anyone in your life that you can talk to then as you are probably aware of you can talk to one (or more) of the many listeners here on 7 cups. Try to find coping methods. There are many methods out there, you just have to find one that works for you. Not all coping methods might be the one for you, so it may take a while to find one but don't give up!
Gretta01
If you cannot speak with a therapist or your doctor, there are several things you can try to help cope with your anxiety. First off, it is important to remember that you will never be rid of it completely, but there are ways to deal with it and start to move forward. One thing that I have found helps me is to find a hobby that can serve as a distraction. My favorite hobbies include drawing, gardening, cooking, and listening to music. Meditation and breathing exercises are also good ways to deal with anxious feelings that may arise throughout the day.
AnnaMedicineStudent
You can overcome anxiety by taking 20 deep breathes. If that doesn't work, you can try holding one ice cube in each hand for 3 minutes. It will help distract you from the anxiety. You can also write, go for a walk, exercise, watch a comedy movie, take a warm bath, pamper yourself like doing face masks and exfoliating. If none of these helps try talking to a comprehensive friend, that can listen you vent without judging. Last resort is going to the ER if you are too anxious and your heart is beating too fast. There they will give you meds.
specialMelody96
Honestly, volunteering was one of the key things that helped me to overcome my anxiety problems. I started volunteering for a university mental health service, and it taught me so many tools that helped me manage my emotions and challenge my own thinking patterns. The people you meet through volunteering are also incredible - the type of people willing to give up their time for free to help other people are the type of friends who will support you through anything. There is something to be said as well about the healthy distraction it offers you. It's such an incredible way to spend your time.
Anonymous
One thing that has been very useful to me in combating anxiety is using techniques from Acceptance & Commitment Therapy. 7 Cups has a great, free self-help guide that goes over many useful tools from this therapeutic practice that you can do on your own, pretty much any time or anywhere. A lot of it has to do with learning how to "defuse" from your troubling thoughts – in other words, how to recognize that they are just thoughts and are part of your experience, and not the absolute truth. You can learn to see them like another person talking to you – sometimes helpful, sometimes not, but not anything that needs to get in the way of pursuing the things in life that matter most to you.
Anonymous
Firstly, I would like to say if you actually want help and see improvement, it’s better if you look for professional help. Doctors/therapists would know how to react to certain things better than others, it’s really not advised to deal with things on your own since it can go down the wrong way. That being said, I understand how sometimes we may not be able to open up to people or find it unsettling to talk to professionals. The tricks I’m about to talk about are not something that will work for everyone nor can it help you overcome it entirely. However, it will make managing them for the time being, easier. I like to break it down in two simple steps. The first and foremost thing we should do when we feel anxious is to accept it. This is such a simple thing but a lot of us seem to neglect it or make it seem not as prominent as other things. Whenever I feel anxious or something is making me feel uncomfortable, I would note the way I feel and ask myself what (and not why because all it does is make you spin around the same circle) is making me feel that way. Usually i would write it all down until my hands get tired or until i feel that i’ve poured out everything. This really helps you see the picture a little clearer as well as dispose of other nuisance. When your eyes see it, it makes it a little less scarier and less harder to approach. How do i put this? You feel more aware of the things that are happening, you feel like you’re in control. Then the harder part comes, finding a ‘solution’. We should always keep in mind that there’s no rule that everything we feel anxious about will have a conclusion so we shouldn’t worry about finding a solution. More often than not, we won’t find a solution right away but you’ll start to feel more certain about things and well be a little more aware of what should be done. For that to happen, we should ask ourselves of what we would like to happen and what we think is the best way to do this. Or if we’re feeling somewhat overwhelmed with everything that has been happening, prioritizing our own needs is more important so think rationally. Accept the negative and countering thoughts we get when we ask these questions and use it as a way to figure out things. At the end of the day, you’re left with yourself thus taking care of yourselves, prioritizing your own needs and doing what makes you happy is very essential from keeping away from anxiousness. Hope this helped ^^
Anonymous
One very efficient way to overcome anxiety is to practice mindfulness. Be aware that being calm and thinking straight is almost always in your best interest, as it helps you make better judgements. Also be aware that you are not alone, and you should try talking to a friend, or family member, or anyone that might be close to you as that really helps. Meditation is the tool to being calm, and is an effective tool for even someone who doesn't necessarily face any major problem with anxiety. It help to calm your nerves, and is a good practice to even just get you going.