How can I overcome anxiety if I can't talk to a therapist or my own doctor?

Lauren Abasheva, LMHC

A sex positive, and kink knowledgeable therapist with an open mindset and a clear understanding that we are all different.

Anonymous
Look up ways of calming yourself and your anxiety make sure you have controlle over your anxiety and not the other way around
Themasterofunlocking
Find something you love to do, and find it for yourself..and when anxiety comes to you, do it. It makes a huge difference if you feel like you cant go to other people.
GuidingLight1492
Try regular exercise, deep breathing, meditation/prayer, positive thinking-all these have helped me!
Anonymous
You can do research on anxiety and educate yourself on the issue you could also start a journal about how you feel when you feel anxious
shinystars26
Have you tried mindfulness? It's a technique where you only concentrate on breathing and there's not any other thing on your mind.
Phillestertheangel
You can overcome anxiety by talking to others about it. You can talk to your friends, family, etc. you can also make internet friends and talk I them about your problems.
Anonymous
Sit down, control your breathing, close your eyes and think of the sea waves that are coming into the shore
zenoz199
I had this problem myself, so I will tell you my own little story of how I (sort of) got around this. I really did not like going to the doctor so I ended up talking to somebody I trusted and she persuaded me that I needed to go to the doctor - because believe or not they are the most qualified people who can help you other than yourself. But I still didn't want to go, I wasn't convinced, so I got her to come to the doctor's office with me. At any point where I couldn't speak to the doctor she would fill in for me and explain how I felt - and that worked fine! So I would suggest getting an individual you trust to come with you to the doctor or therapist if you can so that will take the pressure off you. However I understand that this isn't always possible, in which case you really have to be strict with yourself and say 'I need to overcome this, I have to speak to somebody' and just go for it. There are also some online therapy services that I know of in the UK at least you can refer yourself to, that way you can type rather than talk. But ultimately the only way you will overcome it is if you just go for it, as hard as it sounds, but you can do it.
TheTripleS719
Use your thumbs and rub the back of your head, right above your neck. Rub in circles, as long or hard as you need to. It helps your body relax, which helps your mind.
Anonymous
You can overcome anxiety if you make goals for yourself. Like if your fear is death, go to a cemetery to try to lower your anxiety over death. And try doing something that's hard for you to do. It will help you overcome anxiety. :)
Anonymous
You can overcome anxiety by your own efforts. Remember, you're your best doctor. You know yourself the best. Have a firm determination of overcoming your anxiety. You may try meditation or get involved in creative activities. That helps a lot.
Anonymous
You can try the Listeners or Therapists here at 7 Cups if it would be easier to keep your identity more anonymous.
MysticBelinda
If you can't talk to a therapist or doctor, talking to a loved one or someone you trust to overcome anxiety. Personally, I don't have the option to talk talk to a therapist or doctor, so I opt to talk to my friends about the problems I am facing. And of course, you can always seek a listener on 7 Cups!
healwithlove
Is always good to have professional advice but if not, the best is to 1-do breathing excercises daily 2- keep focused on the things you can do to improve the situations you are faceing, rather than to think of things you cannot do.
Mari24
If you can't talk to your doctor/therapist, try someone closer to you first and build your way up until you are comfortable. You can do it!
sweetStrawberry7
Try making an appointment with a different doctor, when I changed my dr to female it made a huge difference!
majesticturtle33
There are plenty of ways to self-help yourself for managing anxiety. Mindfulness, meditation, exercise and good social support are all ways to help reduce anxiety.
PapaDudeRob
Look into possibly purchasing some cbt and exposure therapy books online, also you tube has some valueable videos on belly breathing , meditation, cbt therapy, and other things that might help as well. Of course you can always come onto 7 cups and receive compassionate understanding and help here as well.
Sianwil
I used to have very severe social anxiety, and this was a massive problem for me also. Personally, self help and CBT helped me so much with my recovery from anxiety. There is so much self help available online
Anonymous
Thinking about the alternate solution of your solutions and being truthful to yourself. When you are honest to yourself, the problem diminishes.
FriendlyKitten
It will me harder to deal with anxiety, but there are some things you can try. This site offers free mindfulness audios so that anyone can practice it. You can also try diaphragmatic breathing that consists in a deep and slow breath paying attention for your belly movement. I hope I could help. Have a good practice!
SeekerOfHappiness01
7 cups is a great place to talk to people who have had anxiety and can help you get through it. Personally, I've been told to not avoid the situations that make me anxious, although I don't necessarily have to purposefully put myself in them either. For example, at a restaurant I should order for myself instead of asking someone else to do it, even though it makes me very anxious and scared. I think the theory behind it is that if you do it often enough them it should become more normal and you should get used to it until it eventually becomes as easy as anything else. If you do try this method, be sure to take baby steps instead of throwing yourself all the way in on the first try. I hope this helps xx
joyousLight27
I think there are some helpful suggestions on the website for dealing with anxiety. There are also alternative things you can do like listen to a guided meditation on youtube for relaxation.
TranquilLynx84
Many times deep breathing helps to temporarily reduce feelings of extreme anxiety. Taking a very deep breath through the nose, holding it for a few seconds, and then releasing the breath through the mouth can calm the nervous system. Focus on the physical sensation on breath coming into your body, and breath going out. Another option is to find a song or a piece of music that is soothing to listen to. These solutions are often helpful in the short term, until it is possible to reach somebody in person who can help.
kathykatie
Anxiety is a really terrible thing to feel and overcoming it may not always be easy. But believing in yourself, constantly thinking you can do it is a way of overcoming anxiety.
CopperSkies
This is a very difficult thing to be going through right now. I know that it may seem hard but actually talking to your therapist/doctor can really help you. If at first you think that is too hard, you can always start by starting a chat with a listener on here, and that could help to build up your confidence :)
Anonymous
Think about why you feel you cannot talk to your therapist or doctor. Does it have to do with your anxiety? Have you tried to tell your therapist/doctor this? Maybe you can write them a letter explaining how you're feeling.
freefromworries
I know that it's very hard to talk to a therapist or doctor, especially about something like anxiety. There are different options that you can utilize. For one, we have a therapy program here on 7 Cups where you can talk to someone. Besides that, when it comes to doctors and therapists, if you feel uncomfortable verbally saying anything to them, you could always write a letter to them and try to communicate that was for a little, just like write out your thoughts. You could potentially ask (or write) if it'd be okay to bring a journal with you, and you write in that journal throughout the week and they read it (as much as you're comfortable with them reading) when you see them. You could make a program where they give you a list of things to write down, like at the end of the day talk about the feelings you experienced, etc. Even during the session you may be able to write down what you're thinking in the moment as well. If you try to communicate with your therapist they will be very thankful and can help you more.
PKStarstorm22
You could read self-help books about anxiety, such as "Feeling Good". Meditation could also be helpful for anxiety, and 7cups has a lot of awesome meditations to use.
OwIbituary
In my experience, journaling as been really helpful in overcoming anxiety. I used to carry one around and write down what was making me anxious and what I did to help myself. I also would write down any positives that I experienced or observed; sometimes looking back at those good things helped calm me down.