How can I overcome anxiety if I can't talk to a therapist or my own doctor?

Lauren Abasheva, LMHC

A sex positive, and kink knowledgeable therapist with an open mindset and a clear understanding that we are all different.

JeshuaMorbus
There're more ways than those to, at least, cope with it. You have listeners here for starters, to help you vent out your anxiety or you can try to distract yourself to get some space between you and your problem, so you can have some perspective and insight.
Ninolo
The help of your therapist and doctor are a must, but to help yourself you can start by completing our self help guide, following this link https://www.7cups.com/anxiety-help/ .
quietLion4
January 31st, 2018 9:03pm
Personally, I find mindfulness meditation really useful for my anxiety. There is a 7Cups section dedicated to this under the 'Path' tab. Also, there are tons of videos, sites and apps that contain exercises for mindfulness meditation.
Anonymous
February 2nd, 2018 8:36am
Usually when I get anxiety I get really panicky. One more thing my mom did teach me is whenever you think you're having a panic attack. Press on your stomach muscles as if you're going to take a poop. Concentrate on that and your breathing. It doesn't match your heart that helps it slow down and regain once your heart slows down your brain. It'll give you a time to rationally think
LunaHecate
February 3rd, 2018 6:00pm
There are plenty of things you can do to help yourself overcome anxiety. Firstly, joining 7cups is a great start :) You can talk to listeners or fellow members suffering with anxiety. Personally I found a lot of help from self help books. It may take a little research to find the best one for you, but help is out there!
bestCloud20
Talk about it with a trusted friend! I myself have anxiety and it made me nervous to speek but I felt a lot better talking to my friend
Anonymous
I find the best way to break the ice is to write down your issues or questions the day before and on the day of the appt., give them the paper to go over with you.
MaestroSero
Start out small and talk to a close friend first, or a loved one. It allows you to see that your emotions are okay and that nothing bad will happen from opening up. I also want to say that you are very brave in the first place for simply just coming up to us and asking this question. You are so brave to reach out this hand, and I am very proud of you. Just remember to overcome your anxiety, you have to do baby steps. If you don't have a friend or love one to talk to, start here at 7cups. Get encouraged by other members who know what you are going through to help you make that big first step to talking to your doctor or therapist. Nothing is wrong with going slow at your own pace.
ImHereForYou2282
Try online sites, like this one, that work with you and talk one on one with you. The best thing to do is find someone you can talk about your problems with. If you cant do that try writing in a journal and keeping track of your feelings.
Anonymous
There is a lot of self help available online, such as techniques to use when experiencing panic attacks or other overwhelming anxiety symptoms. I also think it's important to speak to either a friend or perhaps a listener here on 7 cups.
Anonymous
February 21st, 2018 6:52pm
Breathing is the biggest thing you can do. There are plenty of coping skills you can use that you don't "need" to talk to a doctor about. You can write or read or ask yourself if it is realistic. If you know it's not, then work on convincing yourself that even though it feels real, that it isn't. Know that it will not last forever. It will be okay and it is not as bad and dangerous as it feels. I promise.
MissesOliver
February 22nd, 2018 8:48am
Speak with someone! Sometimes talking things out even in the heat of an anxiety attack can seriously help when you have no other options.
humbledbygrace
Sometimes just being given the space to sit and think, or cry, can help you process what's happening. But if talking to professionals is a real struggle for you, could you maybe write down what you would like to tell them. Then, at the appointment, you may have the courage to read it out, or you can at least give it to them to read. You can do this multiple times, and eventually, you may find that you are less anxious about talking about it, because they already know a lot of your story from your letters. Overcoming anxiety is a journey and journeys are taken one step at a time.
Rwtrek22
Listeners here at 7 Cups are standing by and because it’s completely anonymous, you won’t be as nervous!
Anonymous
exercise (or any type of physical activity) going to a yoga class or doing meditation or breathing exercises together, working through a hierarchy of things someone is avoiding or putting off due to anxiety. Each person would have their own list. Start with things that feel mildly anxiety provoking and work up. A practical way to do this is as a weekly "power hour (link is external)" where you have an hour once a week in which you tackle something you've each been avoiding due to feeling anxious or overwhelmed. Spotting and balancing anxiety thoughts. For example, if you don't get an email reply back from someone straight away, does that automatically imply bad news? If you're interested in learning how to overcome anxious thinking, there a complete "how to" in my book, The Anxiety Toolkit.
luminous65
The acknowledgement that you want to overcome anxiety is itself a big step. If you're worried about a particular thing then try not to think about the negative outcomes. Try to relax your mind. For this, you can try meditating as per your convenience. You can try following these steps 1. Keep yourself healthy. Eat healthy and nutritious food. Exercise your body a little bit. 2. Make a daily schedule. List important tasks in order of their priority and complete them. 3. Talk to your friends who give you positive vibes. 4. Don't let you emotions control your reasoning abilities. If you feel sudden anxiousness or heavy breathing, calm yourself. Take a deep breadth. Relax and then only reach to any decision. No hurry! 5. Spend some time doing what you like for example, sketching, listening to music, watching sitcoms etc. 6. Most importantly, believe that you can overcome this and you will.
Zarhears
Be honest with yourself. Understand what is causing the anxiety and find ways to overcome it. Believe in your strengths and realise weaknesses are meant to empower you and not bring you down. Find ways to cope better. Take deep breaths and meditate
Glissygirlxox
Having anxiety can be difficult especially when it comes to speaking up. I’ve had times where I wanted help, but was afraid to talk to a professional about it. I would recommend talking to someone close to you to start with, to build confidence. Or if you don’t want to talk face-to-face, sites just like 7cups can be helpful for taking the first step.
LindenTree
You can look up different little techniques that you can use anytime and anywhere. For exemple, the 5-4-3-2-1 grounding technique: Name 5 things you can see around you. Name 4 things you can touch, Name 3 things you hear (not your thoughts) Name 2 things you can smell Name 1 thing you can taste (Does it taste like gum, coffee, or lunch inside your mouth) I did this every time I felt anxious or would have a panic attack. It helped me stay calmer. There are also other little things you can do: journaling, write letters, go for a walk or a drive, etc. All those small actions put together can have a big impact on how you feel. Don't take on too much though.
JasonTehPanda
Breathing exercises often help, along with speaking to friends and/or family members and having someone there to assist you. Therapists can’t solve this issue, they only provide advice on how to move past this.
undomielpoines
It is up to us to overcome anxiety because we are doing this to ourselves. They can give us advices but it is up to us to do these. We should be brave in our lifes. We should not afraid. And we should figure out how we can defeat anxiety but remember all of us have different ways to fight with anxiety. Just find your own way and dont afraid. Life is very short to be afraid. 🧚🏻‍♀️
Anonymous
Make a list of things that make you anxious. Start working on things that cause most anxiety and you'll slowly get used to them. Also when talking to doctors if you're too nervous it helps to write down what you need to say, even if you can't say it they'll at least be able to read it and do their best to help! Think positive.
Anonymous
Find a friend to talk, or it can be a listener on 7cups, or your family. I can't help you because I don't know what's your problem.
BritishSteven
There is a lot of self help Information available to help you to manage your anxiety, maybe if you can ease your anxiety, speaking to a doctor might not seem as scary.
Noahswaytopeace
Talk to a person that you believe you can openly trust with your dwelling anxiety that will end up commiting to what is stressing you out. That said person may even do more for you than a therapist or doctor as you may take what a trusted friend says more to heart.
Anonymous
Take it one step t a time. Little steps forwards are till progress. Meditation can help, as can journaling.
Anonymous
One have to discover what is causing the anxiety, is it because of a major issue or many small issues pilled up to make you feel that way? After knowing that, you have to fight/peace-out with those thoughts and feel better.
highlyintuition1
Find out what the trigger points are and literally avoid it, or take a vacation decide if you want to overcome whatever the anxiety is that you are experiencing
Luke10
Talk to a friend or simply become a member of 7cups. Lots of good people here that supports one another :)
sillyseraph002
Anxiety can be a difficult thing to manage, especially when you feel so alone. Talking to other people you trust could also help you in some measure. journaling and meditation exercises are a great way to manage emotions as well.