How can I stop trembling when I'm anxious?

Shruti Naik, MS in Counselling and Psychotherapy

I'm passionate about providing a non-judgmental & supportive platform to my clients to help them understand & accept themselves & overcome any emotional issues troubling them.

Roadie
I tremble when I'm anxious as well. The thing is that it's something it's something that I am aware of however others are generally not aware of. By focusing on your shaking, you actually make your anxiety worse and shake more. Try to externalise and you will be fine.
Anonymous
Focuses on it or wishing it to stop will only make it worse. Accept trembling as a part of the process and a way to burn off nervous energy and it will probably go away on its own.
Anonymous
I have found that doing breathing exercises helps me when I start to shake. I have anxiety very bad, and, well, maybe it can help you. I also try to focus on a positive memory. Something that makes me really happy. Nine out of ten times, it works for me.
janedoe73
Try to practise your breathing and focus on keeping yourself relaxed.It might help to close your eyes for a few second and take a few deep breaths.At first you might not be very successful at it,but after a couple of situations like that,you might be able to control it.There are many muscle relaxation guides on this page,try to look it up.
genuineHero
I do breathing exercises. 7 counts in, 8 counts hold, 7 counts out. This helps your body to shift from sympathetic nervous system to parasympathetic.
Arkelight
The way in which your body reacts to anxiety is often something that you can't control. What you can manage however is the anxiety itself, there are many resources out there that can provide some great techniques and exercises to help when you start feeling anxious. Finding the techniques and exercises that work for you is the first step, in most cases if you invest the time into this, you will see improvements.
CaitlinRose
Sometimes it isn't possible to stop trembling, as it can be due to a medical issue. Deep breathing and relaxation exercises may help.
RalphBG
That is very hard, as I had anxiety as well. What you should do is something called 'self hypnosis'. It can be very beneficial. How you do it is you say positive things to yourself, and say them so much that you believe it and it becomes true. It will only work if you believe yourself though. Say something like to yourself like 'I'm calm', but avoid saying things like 'I'm not anxious' as 'not' is a negative word. Good luck! :)
Anonymous
It helps me to take small sips of water and not focus on it. The more I focus on it, the more the shaking continues.
PoeticWhisperer13
Focus on one thing, like a book you like to read or a show. Then relax all your muscles. And breath.
courageleadstonewlife
If I'm in the middle of a stressful situation, which is causing anxiety, it can be hard to utilize coping mechanisms to deal with the stress. The most effective method, I've found for myself, is focusing on my breath. Deep and steady breathing from the belly, diaphragmatic breathing. With practice this can become a simple, free, easily accessed tool that can help you decrease your anxiety. See the American Institute of Stress website for more information: http://www.stress.org/take-a-deep-breath/
Anonymous
January 3rd, 2015 2:35am
i have trouble with this immensely and often... it's terrible! but the best thing to do, i find, is to take yourself out of the environment that is burdening you with such anxiety even if for a couple minutes, as quick as possible, breathe deeply remind yourself that you are safe and recuperate. it might be best to also chat with someone who can offer some support as well if possible. seek out professional help, if not already, to try and understand your anxiety and be able to find alternatives in coping with all that encompasses it.
BVBlover
I personally think that the best thing to do is to try and think positive thought even though it's extremely hard it works a lot for me x
Firelily
I find that practicing mindfulness exercises really helps in situations when I am feeling anxious and begin to tremble. I often try to focus on what I can see, hear and feel around me to ease my mind and bring myself back into the present.
Gina24
December 23rd, 2015 11:35am
Anxiety is a terrible state to be in, and it does not help either the person undergoing it, nor the people around. You would do well to talk to a professional about your problems, where the source of the anxiety could be pinned down, and you could understand how to cope better and live a happier life. I faced similar issues and found my resolve with online counseling on www.seekspark.com. You should also give it a shot, trust me, it will help. :)
Anonymous
Trembling due to anxiety happens to a lot of people, even if to some more than others, so I am saying myself that it's normal. What I try to do is to free my mind, focus on my breath and think about something positive.
Anonymous
I find it really helpful to take a minute and focus on my breath. I like to shake my hands, and then drop my shoulders. I close my eyes, breathe in through the nose for 4 seconds, hold for 3 seconds and then breathe out steadily through the mouth for 5 seconds 😊
Anonymous
You just jave to breath and relax, don’t think about the fact that you are trembling, it would just make it worse. Remember, relax and breath.
Erynn
Anxiety reducing techniques can help. Grounding Techniques, breathing exercises, mindfulness, positive self-talk, positive affirmations, and challenging distorted thoughts can all help deal with anxiety and thus lessen shaking or trembling.
nightFlower81
First and foremost, when you become anxious, your body reacts in some strange ways. Trembling is one of them. It is important to know that it is completely normal. Next order of business, don't fight it. The more you think about stopping it, the more it will happen. I find it easiest to take some deep breaths, remind myself that I am going to be okay...actually say outloud "I am going to be okay" (You don't have to scream it :-) ) And find a pleasant distraction. That distraction can be any number of things. If all else fails, it is completely acceptable to excuse yourself from whatever causes you anxiety until you are able to calm yourself down.
Anonymous
Your body and mind are connected. If you are trembling due to anxiety, the best thing you can do is target your anxiety. Why are you feeling anxious? What is making you feel anxious? Reducing the anxiety will help alleviate that mind-body connection and allow your hands to be still.
TamaHawk
When I am anxious about something I take a a 15 minute break either before or during whatever I am doing. I simple allow myself to meditate and regain my center. I usually count my breaths or remind myself that we are all connected so I am amongst friends. Hope this helps :) Let me know if you tried this method and if it works for you!
Drizzlesofhope
First of all, when you are anxious you need to calm yourself down. So, take a seat and start taking deep breaths and tell yourself to relax. Tell your mind to relax. The effect will slowly start to diminish and you'll feel better.
Fallenangel2002
December 22nd, 2015 6:13pm
1- Sit down somwhere quiet and comfortable. 2- Drink some water. 3-Practice deep breathing. 4- Have someone to stay near you
NumbaaaFivee5
A great way to stop trembling when you're anxious is deep breathing it relaxes your body and the trembling should stop shortly🔑
Anonymous
I have this problem. Try grabbing something and gripping it very tight. This helps me a lot!(: If you have nothing to grab, fold your arms and squeeze your arms(:
Anonymous
You need to calm down your breathing. It could be your heart going a certain speed and then you start shaking. I know this might seem difficult when your anxious but if you practice you will have an easier time controlling your breathing.
happytohelp0515
Deep breaths, reassuring, self-empowering thoughts, and SMILES (even when you don't feel like it)!!!
Anonymous
Maybe using a squeeze ball may help you to calm you down, and try breathing techniques along with telling yourself that it's going to be ok.
calmLove29
breathe in and breathe out and ask for help. its never bad to ask for help, especially if you need it