How can I stop worrying about the tiniest little things that don't matter at all to anyone else?

Lauren Gerardi, PhD

I am a licensed clinical psychologist who works with individuals of all ages, including children, teens, and adults.

SummerLivn
It's so hard to quit worrying about little things, especially if you worry about things that 'might' happen or 'could' happen. I have had this problem my whole life. I finally have it under control, and the way I do it is concentrate on one day at a time, because that's all we're guaranteed in life. Worrying doesn't change a thing, I know it's cliche- but if you think of life as a daily process and not a future of horrible things that may happen- it will definitely help you cope. One day at a time, one problem at a time, one solution at a time- and enjoy life. Hope this helps!
Mikisaywhat3738
They matter to you so of course you can't stop yourself from caring about them. However, you CAN work on not worrying as much about them and you can do so by accepting that they are not as big as they seem to be. Something I always tell myself when I worry too much is :"will it matter in 10 years?"
Anonymous
March 2nd, 2015 2:21am
I find that exercise can chill me out; so that I don't worry about unnecessary things. about 40 to 60 mins of running or intense cardio does the trick.
Anonymous
Sometimes the littlest things to someone else are big deals for each individual. It's okay to worry about things that seem insignificant to others. Managing those worries however is something that needs to be addressed. If it seems overwhelming and like it's to much to handle, ensure that you can control those worries. Find different techniques that will allow you to relax and see you're issue from a calm and clear mind. Just remember that worry isn't always a bad thing, just ensure it is properly controlled and not negatively impacting your life.
modestZebra49
I think you need to listen to yourself. these things may only matter to you, but thats ok, they deserve some attention, listen to them take them in, meditate on them, sometimes little worries are caused by something deeper. it might also be that you arent communicating your inner feelings affectively so sometimes it helps to make a journal of your worries and write it out... write until you understand the worry and its cause and its likely then it wont stress you out so much. I also agree with summer, 1 day at a time, live mindful and live present :)
Try and look at the big picture. Say to yourself when I will look back at it in a year will this seem important or trivial.
JapanCounselor
Just because other people don't see what matters to you, it doesn't make your feelings any less important. What seems tiny or unimportant to them could be huge for you. You'll have to ask yourself what worries you and whether or not it's worth worrying over, not what someone else might think of it.
anyquestion97
If it matters to do, then it does and that's okay. Some things, doesn't matter how tiny or big they are, don't matter to some people, but it can matter to you. Don't let people tell you what's important to you and what's not. If you're worrying about something, that's okay.
Anonymous
Relax yourself. It's going to be okay. You can try some breathing exercise...they may help calm you down enough to stop worrying, or just enough to talk to someone about it. Talking about it with someone you trust may help.
Anonymous
Try to relate how those tiniest things fit into how important they are in your life. Do these tiny things really make a big difference in you daily life?
SpecialKae24
The only thing that helps me stop worrying about the tiniest things is looking at videos that show the scale of the universe because I then I convince myself how small I am in the scale of the universe and then I start to think about my problems in the same kind of way. I know it's bizarre, but for some reason, it works every time. These are some of the videos/sites that I visit for that purpose: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiN6Ag5-DrU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL0waHkIkps http://htwins.net/scale2/
whimsicalRose33
Focus on yourself and your own daily goals remember we got one hand to help ourselves and the other hand to help everyone else
Anonymous
The important thing is even the tiniest little things for other can be vital for you. It is not important what others think, you are the key.
jimmy7
You should address them one at a time and try to understand why you worry. Maybe there is a reason . if not then try to talk to someone about why you worry maybe they can help you see a diferent side of it. Sometimes worrying about something is because you have experienced something relates to that topic that makes you react differently once you discover whst that is it will help you move past it
Em7
its really hard, its like a training excerise you have to keep doing over and over, ask yourself will it matter tomorrow or next week or next month
Anonymous
When you start to worry stop and take a step back. Analyze the situation and express your worry to a friend or acquaintance.
Anonymous
Just relax find a distraction and try to calm down.. Maybe listen to some music and your bed and just try not to think about..
JennyTotoro
It's hard to "stop" worrying. What you should do is weigh out the importance of your worry. Is this really important for you to be worrying about?