How can I talk to people normally?

How can I talk to people normally?

Sandra Butler, AOD, DV counselor

Drug & Alcohol Counselor

Experienced in understanding how emotions and feelings affect our lifes in every aspect of interacting, not just with others, but how we process those emotions. I can help you

ChaiTeaLatte138
I'm very honest when I talk to people online & irl. I became this way after one of my dearest friends died very young. I became much bolder and even spoke to people I did not know! Yes, I have had awkward experiences. However, being this way has brought me far more happiness than sadness. I am not perfect but when people see that I am a nice person they respond. I love to share the things I love with other people so that drives me. It is fun to get excited about something with other people! A common interest is a great way to talk to someone normally. Since you'll be talking about your shared interest the words will happen more easily. I have even gone to concerts and other events alone, making new friends there. Again, I am far from perfect. If anything, I am terribly broken but...this is my answer. I hope it is helpful to someone. Nothing to lose. Everything to gain! ♡
JasmineJane
You are your own normal. It sounds extremely cheesy but just approaching someone and being yourself can already define talking to people normally. You are enough as a person and you do not need to prove anything to anyone, as long as you are kind to the person your relationship can go far.
insightfulTruth93
I don't think that you can apply a set of rules to social interactions, especially not small talk. Change should start with body language and voice and not focus on trying to be quirky, as that's a way to broadcast an inauthentic personality.If you’re feeling really rusty, give it a shot with a friend or family member and ask for a little feedback afterward. If you’re feeling bold, approach someone you wouldn’t normally talk to. If you draw a blank, ask a question. Breathe, smile, listen. Most of all, remember why you’re doing this, and remind yourself that you’re not imposing on someone by having a pleasant conversation with them—you’re making their day a bit brighter, and you should never be made to feel bad about that.
Anonymous
I think normal is a funny kind of word, there's tonnes of ways to talk each with their own unique personality. Some of the most interesting conversations I've ever had were far from the "norm" As cliche as it sounds, just do you.
LilyFlowers
It depends honestly, social skills are something we must learn by doing, it can't really be learned in books. Social skills is a bunch of little adaptions we make when we are around other people. Most of the time we don't even think about it or realize it. So you have to work your way up to being comfortable around people and talk to people enough to get up to a level you consider normal. Practise makes perfect and is the only way. Your going to fail and mess up, that's how we learn, be prepaid. Understand that failing is for your benefit, it's our brain understanding trial and errors of what we are doing, perfecting and adjusting as needed. Good luck.
Anonymous
There isn't a "normal" way to talk to someone. If you have social anxiety, take a deep breath and just go for it. You'll eventually warm up to everything and develop better social and communication skills.
Anonymous
It's really easy The only thing that you need to talk with people is self confidence and don't allow fear to effect your performance
sweetmina
There really is no way to talk "normally" to people as everyone is different. There is no problem with you. Maybe the problem is just not conversing with the right people. When you find someone with the same interests, that's when the words start flowing without you having to force it.
Anonymous
Just be yourself and love yourself. Being "normal" is a goal that society imposes on us. It's not how we show others the light that shines within us.
Kjarra
Don't think too much and torture your mind. Be more spontaneous, a conversation should be enjoyable and entertaining, just be yourself. Be smiling to people :) be confident
IntuitiveDrops
Maybe it would help to watch other people carefully: What they like, dislike, how they respond, etc. Try yourself around a bit. It´s a bit like gambling. You need to find out which communication skill or which thing to say will work best for which person. Good luck.
peacefulCat41
Define normal. Everyone is unique in their own way. Make sure you can be yourself, if not you are trying to hard to be with that person. If your communication skills need work, just talk to people and you will learn by experience, or read about it online or in a book, and be an active member on 7 Cups. That should help you tremendously. Listening is such an important skill to learn.
Anonymous
Help others to help yourself and love others to love yourself. Understand the problem of others with full of patience and respect their feelings.
Anonymous
March 23rd, 2016 1:13am
Some schools offer public speaking. Maybe if you join, you'll be able to practice speaking better and in a more articulate way.
courageousMagic24
March 23rd, 2016 10:52pm
Just be yourself. Smile every now and then, and just be appreciative and happy that you are talking to them.
ShannynMayyy
By being yourself, I know sometimes talking to people can be tricky. But try to have a clear mind, be a little optimistic, that might help a little c:
Anonymous
I know it is very difficult to do this but try to relax and calm yourself down as much as possible so you are more comfortable and this way you will find it easier to talk to people. try and talk about something you are both interested in or start talking to someone you are close with. try not to overthink it as it makes everything much more awkward. I hope this helped x
LovelyParasite
Don't force yourself to approach someone if you don't feel like it at all. I think it's important to absolutely feel like you're ready and willing to meet someone new. And as soon as this requirement is met, Things can't go unnatural at all. Be yourself, don't worry about seeming weird or strange and just talk as freely as you can. Remember that the person you are talking to is just a normal human being and is far from perfect, as we all are. Don't be intimidated.
couragetogo
Start with a warm smile. Pick up on their conversations, but don't invade their conversations. If they're alone then start with a bit smalltalk and get to know the person. Don't talk to much about yourself.
Sassy001
Just be yourself and talk to them as you normally would talk to anyone.Be honest,get to know the person,their feelings,intrests,likes and dislikes.
Lina16
All you have to do is be yourself. If someone does not respect you for being yourself then they're clearly not a very nice person :)
Kat66
Stops thinking too much in regards to what the other thinks about you! Be yourself and be open a conversation will never cause you problems then.
NickDB14
The only way to get better at talking to people is getting out there and talking to people, if that makes any sense. :P The more practice you have, the easier it will be to talk to people.
Varee
Ask them about themselves! (Films, music, favourite food, their work or study - i.e. gentle subjects until you both get to know each other.) It takes the focus off you, you might learn something interesting, and they will go away thinking you're a brilliant conversationist. I read that advice 15 years ago and it's always served me well.
booklover1224
There is no true normal with talking. The best you can do is based off of how close you are and what they like to talk about, take cues from their behaviour about if they're uncomfortable or not.
presocratics
It is as though you are learning to play a musical instrument for the first time. You can begin by simply observing: observing all of your own thoughts and feelings while talking to people, observing all of their behaviors, mannerisms, gestures, observing how the topic changes, etc.).
neverendingSunrise99
Just be yourself. There are no rules about talking to people normally. The only thing you need to do is to be you.
JDM108
Everyone's your friend, especially if you're friendly! Know that. And it's easy to be friendly to others if we're friendly to ourself.
Anonymous
You're probably experiencing some social anxiety. Tell yourself that you anxious feelings before you talk to someone are irrational, and be kind to yourself. Tell those thoughts that say you look stupid etc that they should go away and not ruin this moment for you. Try pretending that you are really confident and sure of yourself, and then after a whil you'll feel as if you relaxed and it becomes true. Good luck! Xx
happyHippo88
My mother told me something very wise when I was struggling with peer pressure and being social. She said, "If there is nothing to talk about with someone, always ask them about themselves. People love to talk about themselves." It really works, try it!